2008 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
A Pig with Lipstick
By newburgh_jim on 05/10/11 07:03 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I shopped around and the Sonata seemed to be the best value at the time. I was wrong, as they say "You get what you pay for". In the first week I noticed the ride just felt cheap and the tires squealed going around corners. I had to replace the back breaks at under 20k miles because the original set stuck or something and cooked the back rims and actualy browned the hub caps. Worse yet, I had to pay for this obvious manufacture defect. Poor fuel economy and with 44k miles as of 11 May, 2011 average fuel economy is 20.9! Tires were rotated but had to be replaced at around 22k miles. I do not abuse my vehicles and all maintenance was on time. Now the engine is ticking loudly.

Master Cylender
By colorado18 on 04/27/11 12:00 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

i was having trouble getting fluid to the brakes. I had it looked at by 2 people was told its the master cylender. Dealer ship ignored me the first time i took in in and said i should get my brakes replaced. I did what they said and the issue was still there. I had to tell them again that the master cylender is not pumping fluid to the brakes. They argued with me and i got so angry with them i will never buy another hyundai again. They do not deserve my money. After they looked at the car and come to find out the master cylender was broken like i said. The worst customer service ever and i dont recomment hyundai to anyone.

Rear brakes burned out
By emlod on 03/10/11 13:50 PM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The rear brakes burned out at 18K and they made me pay for it. They said the slider corroded. I said I brought the car in for regular maintenance. Why should that happen? They blamed me for not requesting it. A call to corporate did no good, so I ended up paying. The tires wore out at 36K, Michelins and they were rotated. The steel wheels all rusted and I saw the same thing on other Hyundai's. The care is practical but about as bland to drive as you can get. The interior looks cheap to me with a very plastic look. Dealer service where I bought it has been poor so I go to an independant garage. The transmission lugs at 40 MPH The car vibrates at 60-65. Don't use inflate a tire

Throttle
By Hyundai Owner on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Sonata SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Good Fuel economy, Nice ride, Good performance. However, I had my Throttle stick, I had it back to the dealer and they fixed it that day. It was explained to us that it was a computer chip that went bad.

It's not as good as everyone says
By Passing on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

They have made improvements in last few years but as far the over all quality goes it is still not at par with Toyotas and Hondas. I bought it after reading good reviews and due to standard safety features, but after driving 35k my car started to give vibration issues. Dealership put it on 4-cylinder engine, but it was same before 35K, so not sure how come all of sudden engine started to give less power, that too after all regular services being performed on time. They(dealer) are least bothered to look into it and tried to put it as if it is normal, but I have driven enough cars to know it is not normal. They even got me to do services which are not required till 70-80K.

Best car i ever drove
By chrismartin1701 on 10/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

What can i say? this car is awesome! normally i go crazy for the classic American muscle cars, but i'm happy with this one. use it as a daily driver to and from college and i also use it as my general aid and rescue vehicle for the Ballston Spa Volunteer Fire station. in all, its fun to drive, powerful V6, responsive, comfortable, stylish, and just plain awesome.

Reliable car with nick nack problems
By Hoosier Sonata on 09/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased our Sonata on Dec 24,2007 after doing several hrs. of internet reviews on reliability, fuel efficiency and overall results. We now have 31,000 miles on this car. Has been an okay car. No serious problems. Both of our sun visors had to be replaced because they would not stay up. We do not keep anything on them to have caused this. Now our strut for the trunk lid has broken and this will have to go back for repairs. Seats are very uncomfortable on 9+ hrs. road trip. They are too short and we are only 5'7.

Beautiful Car
By SouthDakotaGuy on 06/13/10 15:33 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used at a really good price. I was impressed with its handling on the road. The only problem is the ESC is worthless in mud and snow. I live in South Dakota and I find it to be a great car on the highway and in town, but would not recommend it off road. This car has great gas mileage and starts up wonderful.

Good car
By ckoolkat on 06/05/10 20:26 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I had an elantra before the sonata and have to say great cars for the money, no problems.

TIMOTHY
By Timothy on 05/11/10 12:06 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've had two Sonata's since 2001 and they have BOTH been without major problems. Great little cars, Great price and minor write-up have been resolved by Hyundai. By the way, I'm REALLY NOT an employee!!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Hyundai Sonata in NJ is:

$204 per month*