Used 2008 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2008 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

I love this car!!
By maxipkat

2008 Hyundai Sonata SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car as a service loaner back in 2008, and it has given me no mechanical issues whatsoever. I now have 91K miles and it still runs great. I gave the build quality a little lower because the paint does chip pretty easy and the sun visors have broken, however I really love this car!

Favorite Features

Powerful V6 Engine, Auto Dimming Mirror, Sun Roof, Sport Package, Roomy, Great Trunk Space, Heated Mirrors, Very quiet inside and out, my father in law didn't realize the car was running when he got into it the first time. Handling is phenomenal!! We were driving home when Hurricane Irene hit last year and a tree fell into the road. I was able to easily and safely avoid the tree even while driving at highway speed in a downpour! Did I mention I love this car???

Suggested Improvements

Better Traction Control in the Snow, it just slides around in more than an inch or two. (Better tires would obviously help with that, too) Few more layers of clear coat wouldn't hurt (When a stone chips the paint, it goes down to the primer)

It's just a reliable car...
By meathead1986

2008 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car back in May after having to get rid of my baby(1996 nissan 240sx). Overall it is a great vehicle but there are reasons for my non 5 star review. First I have a fully loaded platinum edition and there was no nav installed. That's a huge ding for me (Hyundai seems to have fixed this with new models). Second the paintis EXTREMELY thin so when you get a door ding it takes off every layer of paint. and the whole exterior of the car seems like they went and raided other manufacturers parts bins to throw it together... it has a little of every brand in it if you pay attention. having said that it is a great car and it does what it's built to do. And I would reccomend it.

Favorite Features

It has a powerful V6 which is nice, almost perfect driver positioning, handles more like a family car with softer suspension, HUGE trunk (It's a grocery getter), I have the Infinity sound and it is AMAZING, turning radius is more than adequate, for a V6 it gets very good fuel mileage, The car is extremely quiet on the highway which is a first for me. It's very nice not hearing a bunch of road noise (in ND no less) This car would be a PERFECT starter car for teens (in the 4cyl model).

Suggested Improvements

they seemed to have fixed alot of this with newer models but here goes: 1). for me the suspension is softer than I like (its great for the family aspect but i love being able to drive fast on my own :) 2). The paint- its great until you get a door ding. Then every layer of is comes off... never seen this until I bought this vehicle 3). No nav... I explained this above 4). some of the interior pieces do seem very cheaply made. For a fully loaded Platinum Edition I expected much better quality. I do take extremely good care of my vehicles though so this shouldnt be a problem. 5). I'm still on the dealers oil change w/ convent. oil but it seems to get dirty quick... more to come on this

Mixed Feelings
By mr_keating

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the 2008 Sonata GLS about three years ago. I immediately noticed a lag or hesitation when the trans shifts from 1st to 2nd gear. Came to find out that Sonatas have tranny issues, and have for years. Interior build quality is cheap. Lots of squeking from the plastic sections of the dash. Not a lot of pick-up at lower speeds, but does fairly well at highway speeds.

Best customer service and value for money
By bmet2013

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is my second Hyundai. I bough an Accent brand new in 2004 and only had one issue. About 34k miles I had to get a second to third gear sync and it was covered under warranty. My Sonata is a blessing. Last year I let my parents use it to go on vacation to Myrtle Beach. Loaded with luggage and 4 people through the hills it managed around 31mpg which was really awesome! The car got up to 35 mpg on my monthly trip to indianapolis from cincinnati. Cincy to Indy and back to cincy it used barely 1/2 tank. Normally I see 23mpg mixed which is ok. I've gotten as good as 400 Miles per fillup in mixed. Over all this is a great car for the money. Always get complements on my car!

Favorite Features

A/C is nice to have. Always blows cold. Never takes long to warm up in winter! Heater blows super hot in winter! Motor is easy to work on as I like to do my own PM's. More than enough power to get on the highway and not get left behind.

Suggested Improvements

Would have loved to have a 5 speed auto standard equip in this car.

Pretty good
By fannibal

2008 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car because of the value, safety, and warranty. It has been good so far, but my mileage has bee low, hovering around 21mpg with mixed city and highway driving(my 4 cyl 1.8L manual 1998 corolla had 30mpg with similar commute). I have had the car for more than 3 years now, and had only 2 minor problems which were covered under warranty- driver's side visor came down and didn't go back up. fixed in 1 day. 2nd problem was a ESC controller which was broken- my "ESC off" light was constantly on. this was fixed in about 1 week. my dealer provided a free loaner during this time. I am overall very happy with my car. The problems the car did have were fixed under warranty.

Favorite Features

good quality stereo, quiet smooth ride. I feel safe in the car- it has ESC, which has kicked in during snowy/wet road conditions. suspension is a little unrefined though.

Suggested Improvements

the newer generation sonatas have better handling and acceleration. I do prefer all wheel drive options. I plan on buying a subaru in the future because they have more solid engineered cars with all wheel drive.