Used 2008 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Consumer Reviews - 131 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Hyundai Sonata Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2008 Hyundai Sonata Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

2008 Hyundai Sonata SE V6 - 3.3L
By Bob Rubel

2008 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car brand new in 2008 from the dealer. I have a 10 year - 100k Warranty. I see people saying seat belts, door handles etc. are falling off. Have never had any of this happen. I'm 6'2" and have no discomfort. The car is quick as hell, she'll jump up to 100-120 easily. The car is about 8 years old now and I have only done basic maintenance and put tires and new headlights in due to the wax formation. Everything works. Sound system sounds great, and I love that the unit holds 6 cd's. If I could buy this car again when I need a new car I would. Drove to north Carolina, Flordia (separate trip), tenesee (separate trip) and would NOT be afraid to drive to California from rhode island. The car has 161,000 miles on it so I expect problems soon due to use and age. I do not see poor quality in material. I love the car and think that door handles falling off in one guys review is total B.S.

Good Value for the money.
By Lou

2008 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my car used in 2009 with 9,000 miles, was a little concerned that it was traded in so quick but with the remainder of warranty left 4+ years and 50K bumper to bumper it was worth the gamble considering some new cars only give you 36K and 3 years.
Initially bought car for wife for local driving, during the last 6 years the car has been virtually repair free, only used warranty to replace driver visor and no other issues. I have the V6 and when getting into the FWY's no issues plenty of zip and easy handling, just made a cross country run of 2,900+ miles and it ran better than expected, really didn't check mileage but it was probably around 30+MPG. I am 6'1" and around 230LBS considering it's size I felt I had adequate room driving 6+ hours a day.
Getting ready to sell and it's almost worth half of what I paid and have 89K, overall I'd have to say it's a 4+ and a 5 for value.

WORST HYUNDAI don't waist your money
By consummer

2008 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Slowly but surely, every bit of this car has broken, peeled, snapped or shattered from the day I drove it off the lot. Now I have only 1 outside door handle left and can't even get in my car. Yup... went to open the door when on my way to the doctors, and the handle just shattered (cheap plastic), and that's the 3rd one in a week. Paint is lifting or chipping, Brakes went out after 20K miles and not covered by warranty, Micheline Tires had to be changed after 30K (unheard off) also not covered, rearview mirrors have fallen twice, Inside door-handles just fell off, Sun visors snapped (both) and fell on my lap as I was driving (very dangerous) seat belts snap off...

When driving it it smells like exhaust inside the car and you literary have to stop and get out to take a breath, and it's been recalled (all of them) over 6 times. Radio and CD stopped working properly after 2 months.

While still under warranty HONOR it Record consumers complaints on paper and do not ignore them

Best car I've owned.
By sdemaris

2008 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used with 34,000 miles back in 2009.
It has been nothing but solid for me for over 4 years of driving it.
The maintenance I had was minimal.
The alternator went out on me last summer which was 500 bucks to fix but I was told by the mechanic that this is a typical problem with newer cars when they get close to 100,000 miles.
Other than that I've had no other problems with it other than typical maintenance.
I'm currently at 90,000 miles on it and plan on keeping it for a few more years.
The paint quality is not the best on the outside but all in all still rides like a dream on the highway.
Fun car to drive too.

Easy to handle. Great sound system and 6 CD changer. Fun to drive. Great car for the price.

The exterior paint seems to chip away easy.

So thankful
By uraveragemom

2008 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

To put it simply, this car saved my son and my life. We were hit oncoming on the passenger side. Had this car not have been made with such durable materials and just all around a well crafted car, I don't even want to think about what might had happen. We both came out unscathed. Before this had happened, I loved my car. It was the first one I'd ever bought and I couldn't have been more happy with my purchase. It was roomy, the sound system was awesome. I bought it with 78,000 miles. Only replaced back brakes. The only thing I didn't like was the gas mileage but that's expected with a V6.

Room, size, interior design, reliability, smooth ride

CD player got jammed a lot