2008 Hyundai Sonata Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Best car I've owned.
By sdemaris on 02/23/14 10:18 AM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used with 34,000 miles back in 2009. It has been nothing but solid for me for over 4 years of driving it. The maintenance I had was minimal. The alternator went out on me last summer which was 500 bucks to fix but I was told by the mechanic that this is a typical problem with newer cars when they get close to 100,000 miles. Other than that I've had no other problems with it other than typical maintenance. I'm currently at 90,000 miles on it and plan on keeping it for a few more years. The paint quality is not the best on the outside but all in all still rides like a dream on the highway. Fun car to drive too.

So thankful
By uraveragemom on 06/10/13 08:53 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

To put it simply, this car saved my son and my life. We were hit oncoming on the passenger side. Had this car not have been made with such durable materials and just all around a well crafted car, I don't even want to think about what might had happen. We both came out unscathed. Before this had happened, I loved my car. It was the first one I'd ever bought and I couldn't have been more happy with my purchase. It was roomy, the sound system was awesome. I bought it with 78,000 miles. Only replaced back brakes. The only thing I didn't like was the gas mileage but that's expected with a V6.

Warrenty about up and car falling apart
By spencer_sc on 08/23/12 09:25 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I really liked my car at first. It is coming up on 5 years old (warrenty about up) and has been to the dealer 3 times in the last 5 months. Twice for check engine lights and once for ignition problem. Twice I could not get the car to start. I thought I got a good deal but I am a little worried I will be spending a lot of money to fix soon. I would stay away from Hyundai and spend a little more to get a quality car.

great family car
By revpsyko on 08/09/12 09:15 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

traded in our 04 neon which was a great little car, for the 08 sonata, we needed a bigger car for our growing family. Great gas mileage, great features, smooth ride, the ECS is nice, electronic brake-force distribution, and an attractive price, just couldn't really couldn't ask for a better car. plus being IIHS safety pick for 07 and 08 really put us at ease when we signed those papers.

I love this car!!
By maxipkat on 07/15/12 00:43 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car as a service loaner back in 2008, and it has given me no mechanical issues whatsoever. I now have 91K miles and it still runs great. I gave the build quality a little lower because the paint does chip pretty easy and the sun visors have broken, however I really love this car!

It's just a reliable car...
By meathead1986 on 06/28/12 06:13 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car back in May after having to get rid of my baby(1996 nissan 240sx). Overall it is a great vehicle but there are reasons for my non 5 star review. First I have a fully loaded platinum edition and there was no nav installed. That's a huge ding for me (Hyundai seems to have fixed this with new models). Second the paintis EXTREMELY thin so when you get a door ding it takes off every layer of paint. and the whole exterior of the car seems like they went and raided other manufacturers parts bins to throw it together... it has a little of every brand in it if you pay attention. having said that it is a great car and it does what it's built to do. And I would reccomend it.

Mixed Feelings
By mr_keating on 01/03/12 10:14 AM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the 2008 Sonata GLS about three years ago. I immediately noticed a lag or hesitation when the trans shifts from 1st to 2nd gear. Came to find out that Sonatas have tranny issues, and have for years. Interior build quality is cheap. Lots of squeking from the plastic sections of the dash. Not a lot of pick-up at lower speeds, but does fairly well at highway speeds.

Best customer service and value for money
By bmet2013 on 11/10/11 19:27 PM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is my second Hyundai. I bough an Accent brand new in 2004 and only had one issue. About 34k miles I had to get a second to third gear sync and it was covered under warranty. My Sonata is a blessing. Last year I let my parents use it to go on vacation to Myrtle Beach. Loaded with luggage and 4 people through the hills it managed around 31mpg which was really awesome! The car got up to 35 mpg on my monthly trip to indianapolis from cincinnati. Cincy to Indy and back to cincy it used barely 1/2 tank. Normally I see 23mpg mixed which is ok. I've gotten as good as 400 Miles per fillup in mixed. Over all this is a great car for the money. Always get complements on my car!

Pretty good
By fannibal on 08/11/11 10:24 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car because of the value, safety, and warranty. It has been good so far, but my mileage has bee low, hovering around 21mpg with mixed city and highway driving(my 4 cyl 1.8L manual 1998 corolla had 30mpg with similar commute). I have had the car for more than 3 years now, and had only 2 minor problems which were covered under warranty- driver's side visor came down and didn't go back up. fixed in 1 day. 2nd problem was a ESC controller which was broken- my "ESC off" light was constantly on. this was fixed in about 1 week. my dealer provided a free loaner during this time. I am overall very happy with my car. The problems the car did have were fixed under warranty.

Buy a Ford
By rotag on 05/11/11 17:21 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 16,000 miles in Jan '09 and a '08 Ford Fusion with 10,000 miles in Feb '09. Both have 45k now and the Fusion hasn't had one issue, zero. the Hyundai has had so many issues I can't mention them all here. Additionally, I caught the dealer ripping me off. Hyundai corporate is terrible and doesn't care. Had issue with fuel tank where after the pump would shut off when filling the tank with gas it would "burp" and spit up gas...took 7 trips to the dealership to fix. Have replaced all 4 tires and all 4 brakes...again no issues with Ford. The only saving grace is the repairs are covered under warranty although I'd rather have a call without a warranty that won't break.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Hyundai Sonata Sedan in NJ is:

$204 per month*