2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2008 Sonata Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Sort Reviews by

WORST HYUNDAI don't waist your money
By consummer

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Slowly but surely, every bit of this car has broken, peeled, snapped or shattered from the day I drove it off the lot. Now I have only 1 outside door handle left and can't even get in my car. Yup... went to open the door when on my way to the doctors, and the handle just shattered (cheap plastic), and that's the 3rd one in a week. Paint is lifting or chipping, Brakes went out after 20K miles and not covered by warranty, Micheline Tires had to be changed after 30K (unheard off) also not covered, rearview mirrors have fallen twice, Inside door-handles just fell off, Sun visors snapped (both) and fell on my lap as I was driving (very dangerous) seat belts snap off...

Favorite Features

When driving it it smells like exhaust inside the car and you literary have to stop and get out to take a breath, and it's been recalled (all of them) over 6 times. Radio and CD stopped working properly after 2 months.

Suggested Improvements

While still under warranty HONOR it Record consumers complaints on paper and do not ignore them

Master Cylender
By colorado18

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

i was having trouble getting fluid to the brakes. I had it looked at by 2 people was told its the master cylender. Dealer ship ignored me the first time i took in in and said i should get my brakes replaced. I did what they said and the issue was still there. I had to tell them again that the master cylender is not pumping fluid to the brakes. They argued with me and i got so angry with them i will never buy another hyundai again. They do not deserve my money. After they looked at the car and come to find out the master cylender was broken like i said. The worst customer service ever and i dont recomment hyundai to anyone.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

tires, brakes, and interior most of it is all plastic that brakes too easy. stop being to damn cheap.

Great Car
By luisruvi

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Very solid car, and all problems since I've owned it have been taken care of free of charge. They were only minor. Sagging mirror, but likely due to a cd case hanging on it. Dead battery. Seat issue. I even got a free rental for two of the fixes. I have been really happy so far with the car. Very spacey and quiet. And even though it is cheaper than most other cars, looks more expensive in some areas compared to others I have looked at.

Favorite Features

Shift knob is nice, lots of cubby space.

Suggested Improvements

Mp3 jack. otherwise a solid car.

2008 Sonata GSL V6 3.3L
By Genetyper

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car with 30k miles on it and have driven it about 2k miles. I love this car. Getting onto the highway is stress-free because this car can "get-up-and-go" when you put your foot into it. Its got some "nut" which I like in a car. Its quiet and smooth. I like the sunroof and the ample room of the interior. Its comfortable and an ease to drive. Gas mileage is about 31 highway (or more) and 19 town. I can't speak for long term reliability but it purrs like a kitten and is nearly soundless at idle, no engine noises or "clickings". Performance for a mid- sized 4 door family car like this is not common.

Favorite Features

Nice power and good lines interior and exterior. This isn't a "chick-magnet" so don't judge it against them. Its a reasonable responsible nice car that can get you from here to there with ample power. Nice safety features. I feel safer in this car.

Suggested Improvements

Provide three 26-35 year old cheerleaders in the back seat...seriously, it is what it is. Its a nice car that does what it was designed to do...nothing more and nothing less.

gas guzzler
By Chuck

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Very comfortable. I purchase the car for the size. It in between the other cars. Good handling in the snow. The gas mileage is the worst I could imagine. 14 mpg around town. What a let down. I had them check it out and they said it was ok. Very disappointed.

Favorite Features

xm radio. Comfortable seats. Handles the snow well without snow tires.

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage. More pep in the 6 cyl.

Rattle and Roll
By Shoddy Sonata

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Car has been driven 3200 miles and developed many creaks and groans in the front windshield area when driving across bumps and road imperfections. Ignition key design is such that key ring slaps constantly against dash board when driving, very annoying!

Favorite Features

None yet, maybe price!@!!

Suggested Improvements

standard driver side power seat, fold away exterior side mirrors, redesign ignition key insert

Very happy so far
By trex

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Have had the car for about a month and put on approx. 1000 mi. Have gotten very good interstate mpg- about 28 @ 80 mph, about 31 mpg @ 70 mph. Rides quiet and nice, plenty of power for normal driving. Very roomy as well- we were considering a Fusion or Milan based on reputation, price, and mpg, but the Sonata met or exceeded those requirements with more room for (future) strollers, etc. I also own a 01 Sonata, and would without a doubt recommend Hyundai vehicles.

Favorite Features

Very good mpg, solid power, ride quality, plenty of warranty left, 16 in. tires in GLS (for affordable replacement), decent sound system, looks sharp. In depth manual w/ DIY maintenance instructions!

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of much... very satisfied. Solid car for a fair price.

don't buy it
By green

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Just bought this car for less than 2 months, and wanted to get rid of it everyday. There are several problems: (a) a lot of rattles on the front side of the car. This is ridiculous for a car with only 1500 miles, and says something about its build quality. (b) the infamous rear suspension problem seems not fixed even for this 2008 model. When I drive it at a imperfect road at 30-40 mph, I simply cannot bear it. I have to choose a longer route to work because of this problem. (c) when the oil tank is full, it makes noises, and the dealership told me that the cure is not to get a full tank. Will I buy a hyundai again? you bet not.

Favorite Features

inexpensive compared to other similar cars, but you got what you paid for.

Suggested Improvements

better design, better build quality, better quality control ...

best car ever
By brillo

2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

had a 2002 camry le.this car is 10 times better to drive ,better ride ,better breaks.best car i ever had.most fun to drive

Favorite Features

ride,feel,breaks