Used 2007 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2007 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Most Helpful|
Not worth the money
By beth35

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2007 Sonata and it isn't worth anything. I had to replace the breaks at 30,000 and the alarm would randomly go off so that was replaced. I replaced a censor b/c carbon was build up in the throttle body. The drive belt has been replaced. Both sun visors have been replaced. The gas tank needs to be replaced but will cost $1000 b/c it won't shut off automatically. The check engine light is on stating to replace the O2 censors. The driver seat squeaks and the middle compartment rattles but neither can be fixed, and the paint peals and chips really bad. Needless to say I am not impressed with Hyundai's.

Meh
By joetshmoe

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Personally, I think my boxers are nothing more than a piece of fabric between my body and my zipper. Try telling that to someone that just spent $50 on underwear. If you have a similar attitude towards your car, as a piece of metal between the road and your bum, this will satisfy you. The car has plenty of power for a 4 cyl sedan, more than the 0-60 time leads you to believe, because the transmission is so slushy that you can spin the front wheels at will thanks to a 2000-rpm spread between cruise and go. Textbook slushbox. The steering and directional stability are horrible. The interior fabric still smells like cigs in very hot sun over a year after ONE cigarette was smoked in it.

Favorite Features

The wheel is stuck to the right, since new, and the dealer refuses to do anything about it. That warranty is a joke. The car thunks on every down-then-up bump, sounds like its coming from right under the hood (strut mount?). Again, dealer doesn't care. The car beeps 12 times every time I start it, and pesters everyone with beeps every time you take your seatbelt off (even in park), open a door, etc. It drives you crazy. The knobs on the stereo have broken after less than 10k, and, surprise surprise, not covered under warranty. The car barely ever gets the advertised mileage of 28, even when the tires are pumped up to 38 and the cruise control is set on 65. Bump-steer is the worst

Suggested Improvements

I've ever felt. The trunk is very stiff, and the whole body of the car sounds like a marble in a can when you thwack your thumb against it, the center armrest is made out of material you'd expect a boat deck to be made out of; the wheel feels like steering a boat that's floating in maple syrup, the engine sounds like its killing itself every time you venture north of 4500 rpms, though it does pull smoothly, the rear end creaks when i back out my driveway (i'll let you guess how the dealer feels about that one), and every little plastic piece that covers a screw seems to have fallen off at least once. All you can credit hyundai for is keeping up with the times, and investing in mass appeal.

Terrible car!!!
By jiannaccone1

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2007 new and had to repalce the engine at 71,000 miles. This was completely covered by the factory warranty which I was greatful for. Two years later and 35,000 miles into the 2nd engine it blows again!! I am being told that the whole bottom half of the engine needs to be replaced and that Hyundai is willing to help by paying 1/2 the cost of the repair. While I agree that is a somewhat nice offer I feel they should cover the entire cost of the 2nd new engine. I would still have to pay $2650 out of pocket if they cover half and my confidence in the car's reliability is completely gone. They do not stand behind their car or engine. I am at a loss now.

Suggested Improvements

Fix engine problem. The others that have had a similar issue describe a common problem that really should be resolved. Also the customer service is very poor.

Bought based on reviews... VERY disappointed
By aybaker87

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in February 2011 from a private seller with 32k miles on it. FF 2 years, I've since had to replace the headlights EIGHT times (even with the top bulbs from Advance Auto), had to replace the passenger seat due to a random airbag malfunction -- which was annoyingly expensive! --, the paint is slowly but surely beginning to chip on the hood, the passenger door handle literally came off. One night, attempt to open the door, the handle broke off in my hand. And most recently, even having had scheduled, routine maintenance done, the engine now needs to be replaced. After everything I've dealt with, I'm buying another car instead of spending 2 grand to fix an unreliable car.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive -- when it runs Quiet ride Impressive power for a 4cyl Tons of trunk space very spacious interior -- roomy front AND back seat

Suggested Improvements

Unreliable -- ticking time bomb for the next mechanical or body malfunction. Expensive to continually repair whatever goes wrong next. =\

Overall Very Pleased... There Are A Few Items, I'll Explain...
By wmjlambert

2007 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

To start the previous automobile was a 1997 Buick Park Avenue Ultra, 190k trouble free miles, tranny went. Too pricey to replace with Lucerne. Nearly entire family drives Hyundai's now. Bought Sonata. Transmission: Wish it had a "winter" mode, button to start in 2nd gear... Feel fifth could be leaner. Excellent acceleration, smooth and quiet, nicely laid out with high enough quality feel and look. Have near 60k, had one mechanical issue and dealership has been great. Niggling, but access to high mount stop lamp bulb is crazy, tires have worn out very quickly(not the car's fault)... Have not had an alignment and I live in Buffalo, which amazes me.

Favorite Features

There is nothing really extraordinary in the equipment... Did want satellite radio, would not drive a sedan w/spoiler on Ultimate, went on vacation the day after buying it sat in garage for three weeks... When I got back from holiday all Hyundai's came with sat radio.... And, no way to add sat radio without aftermarket schlock glued to dash...

Suggested Improvements

Winter mode (2nd gear from stop) for trans, or an AWD system... I live in Buffalo and appreciate the value of AWD... But, also realize the case against from the manufacturers perspective.... Legacy and Fusion are only comp I can think of with AWD. Improvements I would like are in the first portion.