Used 2007 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 318 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2007 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

4 Year Review
By ccbloome61

2007 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My 2007 Sonata has just turned 4 years old in July of 2011.
When it was new I did have a wheel balance problem which was fixed by the dealer at no charge.
The battery started leaking acid this summer and I replaced it.
Still on the original Michellins and have done no other repairs as of yet.
Still looks like new and drives like new.
I have 40,000 miles on it now.
Really have enjoyed it.
Powder White Pearl and I had the windows tinted.

Smooth engine.

None.

Tough Couple of Years
By mike334

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car late 2008 with 31K miles, thinking it was worth not spending the extra 4 grand for an Accord.
Issues with interior pieces, rattles, ignition lock, etc.
Issues with rear brakes and suspension noises.
Junction (fuse) box shorted out.
Noise from failing timing chain tensioner that will eventually fail.
Hyundai parts are very costly, and local repair shops in my corner of the world are mystified by Hyundais.
These cars are probably fine for someone who drives 10,000 miles per year, but the components just don't hold up for someone like myself who uses the car for business at 2.5 times that mileage.
FYI, all the required maintenance was done, and promptly, to no avail.

The local dealer made sincere attempts to resolve the issues above, and did not pressure me to make expensive or unecessary repairs. Some were covered under warranty, others were not. Mileage is high 20's with about 70% highway driving. Slowly declining but pretty good for a car this size. Lots of standard features, fairly comfortable, performance and handling on part with other bread-and-butter cars (e.g. Camry).

Hyundai needs to start standing behind issues it is aware of (e.g. brake and timing chain tensioner issues). Otherwise, we will go elsewhere next time. My impression is that the money saved up front was paid back in time as well as money. These were unexpected, difficult, expenses. There is no reason that Hyundai parts should cost what they do. There is no excuse for seat rattles, dashboard rattles, suspension noises, broken sunvisors, etc. Everything is built to a price.

B R O K E N WINDOWS!
By jennifer_c620

2007 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2007 Hyundai Sonata with about 44K miles, now it has over 66K and before I hit my 6 year/60K warrenty expiration, my left side rear window broke and was stuck in the down position, thankfully, Hyundai fixed it at NO charge, However, now that I'm over the warrenty, my right side rear window has broken, in the down position . What is wrong with this company and its cheap parts??? I owned a Nissan before this and never had any issues like this. Also my paint is bubbling off on the mirrors, so far, this is the only place it's pealing. Though, when I bought the car, it had been REPAINTED on the hood and front bumper due to paint bubbling. I never had faith in Hyundai and still don't!!

I like the comfort of the seats and the roomy-ness of the back seat, plus roomy-ness of the overall car. The sound of the radio and speakers is pretty decent. It drives smoothly and breaks surprisingly well (much better than my Nissan ever did). As you can see I have many more negative thoughts than positive about the quality of this car.

Fix the visor springs! they constantly fall down and do not stay in place due to poor quality equipment. The paint is ****! The power windows have been a nightmare for me, please improve this feature, two have broken so far, that's 50%, what a terrible ratio when the car is only 4 years old. Again, I sold my Nissan that was 9 years old, NEVER A BROKEN WINDOW, EVER! Poor light bulbs, you wouldn't think that a light bulb burning out would piss you off so much until you owned a previous car for 5 years that was already a 4 year old car and the light bulb never once burned out, in 9 years, (I was informed they were the original bulbs). breaklight in center costs $175 to replace!!? Seriously!

2007 Sonata peeling paint problem
By brossart

2007 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2007 Hyundai Sonata new, and at that time, I thought it was a good car, but I have since changed my mind.
After an electrical short in the steering column, rear brake problems, engine computer malfunction, and now bubbling and peeling paint, I have had enough.
Warranty covered most of the problems, but since my Sonata has 43,000 miles on it, Hyundai wonÂ’t cover the peeling paint, because the paint is only warranted for 3years 36,000 miles. The paint is so thin on this car that when driven on the highway, even bugs cause chipping of the paint on the front bumper and on the hood of the car. This appears to be a sub-standard paint job.
Paint should not be peeling off
this soon.

Nice car to drive, smooth and comfortable.

Stop cutting corners, poor paint jobs, other poor quality aspects show up a few years down the road.

Pros outweigh cons, pleased with the car
By pki1

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car with 53K miles on it. The first owner took good care of the vehicle, so I got a good deal. The car is inexpensive for its class, a thorough worthy purchase.

Pros - Space, wide visibility angle, comfortable interiors, well tuned acceleration and braking for a 4 Cyl., good acceleration, stable at high speeds, low engine noise.

Cons - Large turning radius, Insufficient differential acceleration causing deeper outward tilt on high speed turns, low power steering ratio, average road grip, visor spring quality, mildly hard suspension

My recommendation backs Hyundai for a wonderful top-of-its-class vehicle at and affordable price... buy 'em while they're still cheap!

Stability at high speeds Simple, elegant design Internal volume and upholstery detail Trunk space

Could use better differential ratio on front axle Softer suspension would reduce bumps and jerks inside cabin