Used 2007 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2007 Hyundai Sonata Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Bought based on reviews... VERY disappointed
By aybaker87

2007 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in February 2011 from a private seller with 32k miles on it. FF 2 years, I've since had to replace the headlights EIGHT times (even with the top bulbs from Advance Auto), had to replace the passenger seat due to a random airbag malfunction -- which was annoyingly expensive! --, the paint is slowly but surely beginning to chip on the hood, the passenger door handle literally came off. One night, attempt to open the door, the handle broke off in my hand. And most recently, even having had scheduled, routine maintenance done, the engine now needs to be replaced. After everything I've dealt with, I'm buying another car instead of spending 2 grand to fix an unreliable car.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive -- when it runs Quiet ride Impressive power for a 4cyl Tons of trunk space very spacious interior -- roomy front AND back seat

Suggested Improvements

Unreliable -- ticking time bomb for the next mechanical or body malfunction. Expensive to continually repair whatever goes wrong next. =\

Not a bad vehicle... Just nothing special...
By meathead212121

2007 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan w/XM (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this vehicle used with just under 35k miles on it about 2.5 years ago and have put about 25k miles on it since purchase. The car is decently loaded... not as well as others but enough to keep the average person happy. with everything designed to be functional more than luxurious... basically they're meant to go for the longhaul and/or help you not freak out as much do to the cost of the car. The Platinum model I bought has plenty in it and isn't exciting (not my style) but I will say if proper maintenance is done it that it can be EXTREMELY reliable. I can't justify trading it because I've had no issues with it and for that I'm keeping it.

Favorite Features

The V-6 in this car is pretty powerful and actually does very well on gas. I can average just under 25mpg's combined which I feel is great for the size of the vehicle. The car has PLENTY of giddyup to it and enough room for 4 adults to fit comfortably. Heated seats are a great option with the leather here in ND and they do only have one setting (scalding hot) but when it averages around 0 degrees you really can't complain. The sound in this car is amazing as well. The Infinity sound system can pump out the jams on long trips with 1 very large shortfall... no AUX input to plug your phone in... HUGE mark against it for me but for most people driving shouldn't be a major issue

Suggested Improvements

One thing I have found out and I've seen other people speak of it as well. On the ice going under 15mph I have to turn off the ESC otherwise when I make a left-hand turn the rear-drivers wheel brake kicks in and sends me in a spin. Was a huge annoyance at first but it's become 2nd nature to me. The lack of Aux input is a small drawback but there seems to be enough radio stations to keep me happy for the most part. Some things in the car do feel cheap (volume knob, some interior plastics, etc.) for the price of the car you really can't complain... its a great value and if you can accept your trade is going to be low then I recommend it

Terrible car!!!
By jiannaccone1

2007 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2007 new and had to repalce the engine at 71,000 miles. This was completely covered by the factory warranty which I was greatful for. Two years later and 35,000 miles into the 2nd engine it blows again!! I am being told that the whole bottom half of the engine needs to be replaced and that Hyundai is willing to help by paying 1/2 the cost of the repair. While I agree that is a somewhat nice offer I feel they should cover the entire cost of the 2nd new engine. I would still have to pay $2650 out of pocket if they cover half and my confidence in the car's reliability is completely gone. They do not stand behind their car or engine. I am at a loss now.

Suggested Improvements

Fix engine problem. The others that have had a similar issue describe a common problem that really should be resolved. Also the customer service is very poor.

The best car!
By danny88

2007 Hyundai Sonata Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This car has been the best car ever! it has awesome power not to comfortable sometimes but very reliable.As long as you take care of it,it will last you forever!We have over 155k on it and she still fires right up,runs great, and purs like a kitten :)

Favorite Features

The power of the engine!

Suggested Improvements

Brake light and headlight go alot. :(

I love my Sonata
By youcantseeme

2007 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have 125k+ Miles on my car and it's still going strong! I was told it gets 21-24 city miles per gallon, but I get 26-31 mpg as long as I'm keeping up with maintenance and what not (air filter changes, oil changes, etc. also have fuel efficient tires) I also drive on cruise control as much as possible which makes a huge difference. the interior is comfortable and roomy, the exterior is pretty standard. No complaints. only repairs I've needed so far were very minor ones that are to be expected or were just standard maintenance (aka windshield wipers, headlights, new brakes, new tires, etc.) but the car runs like a dream.

Favorite Features

It's a smooth comfortable ride, the AC is ice cold in the summer and the heat keeps you comfortable in the winter. I also enjoy the radio volume controls on the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Make some parts easier to fix yourself. Like the headlights and such. There's a process to replacing a lightbulb, instead of just clicking it in.