Used 2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2007 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Bought based on reviews... VERY disappointed
By aybaker87

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in February 2011 from a private seller with 32k miles on it. FF 2 years, I've since had to replace the headlights EIGHT times (even with the top bulbs from Advance Auto), had to replace the passenger seat due to a random airbag malfunction -- which was annoyingly expensive! --, the paint is slowly but surely beginning to chip on the hood, the passenger door handle literally came off. One night, attempt to open the door, the handle broke off in my hand. And most recently, even having had scheduled, routine maintenance done, the engine now needs to be replaced. After everything I've dealt with, I'm buying another car instead of spending 2 grand to fix an unreliable car.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive -- when it runs Quiet ride Impressive power for a 4cyl Tons of trunk space very spacious interior -- roomy front AND back seat

Suggested Improvements

Unreliable -- ticking time bomb for the next mechanical or body malfunction. Expensive to continually repair whatever goes wrong next. =\

Terrible car!!!
By jiannaccone1

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2007 new and had to repalce the engine at 71,000 miles. This was completely covered by the factory warranty which I was greatful for. Two years later and 35,000 miles into the 2nd engine it blows again!! I am being told that the whole bottom half of the engine needs to be replaced and that Hyundai is willing to help by paying 1/2 the cost of the repair. While I agree that is a somewhat nice offer I feel they should cover the entire cost of the 2nd new engine. I would still have to pay $2650 out of pocket if they cover half and my confidence in the car's reliability is completely gone. They do not stand behind their car or engine. I am at a loss now.

Suggested Improvements

Fix engine problem. The others that have had a similar issue describe a common problem that really should be resolved. Also the customer service is very poor.

2007 Paint Defect
By Amanda

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Sonata in April 2008. Within this last year I have had the paint peal off my hood and trunk. Im over my mileage for the warranty, b/c it ONLY 36,000 miles for the paint defects, and now I'm having to pay out of my own pocket for a new paint job when CLEARLY its a manufacture defect. I have spoke with the dealership, HYUNDAI, and they won't do anything so I called customer service and they told me they will put my info in their computer and if more ppl come forward then they could POSSIBLE have a recall. So the point of this blog is if you have this same problem with these vehicles please call customer service so we all can get this problem fixed!

Favorite Features

Rides nicely and great gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Paint you cars better!

Great car, poor paint.
By woodnknoll

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new and have been thrilled with it. It's very reliable, quiet and roomy. It's just a bonus that it's cheaper than the competition. After two and a half years though a little problem has come up- the paint is peeling off in sheets! Since it now has over 36000 miles there is no more paint warranty so I'm pretty much stuck. It will be a great rolling ad to poor paint adhesion on a Hyundai. This may not be true of other colors or ages, but it sure is on my silver-blue Sonata. If I was Hyundai I sure would want to get these fixed before someone saw it, but that's not the case.

Favorite Features

Roomy back seat, big trunk, great family sedan.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint or primer.

Need new suspension
By ottok

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Overall I have been pretty happy with my 07 Sonata GLS. No technical or mechanical issues yet after 20,000 miles. My biggest problem has been the suspension which is designed for a light bicycle. Bumpy roads provides very strong feedback into steering wheel. Bottoming out is donw easily. So you Hyundai engineer lear from Honda Accord.

Favorite Features

Low on maintenance, base model well equipped.

Suggested Improvements

New suspension