2007 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Bought based on reviews... VERY disappointed
By aybaker87 on 04/29/14 07:48 AM (PDT)

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in February 2011 from a private seller with 32k miles on it. FF 2 years, I've since had to replace the headlights EIGHT times (even with the top bulbs from Advance Auto), had to replace the passenger seat due to a random airbag malfunction -- which was annoyingly expensive! --, the paint is slowly but surely beginning to chip on the hood, the passenger door handle literally came off. One night, attempt to open the door, the handle broke off in my hand. And most recently, even having had scheduled, routine maintenance done, the engine now needs to be replaced. After everything I've dealt with, I'm buying another car instead of spending 2 grand to fix an unreliable car.

Terrible car!!!
By jiannaccone1 on 09/17/13 09:25 AM (PDT)

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2007 new and had to repalce the engine at 71,000 miles. This was completely covered by the factory warranty which I was greatful for. Two years later and 35,000 miles into the 2nd engine it blows again!! I am being told that the whole bottom half of the engine needs to be replaced and that Hyundai is willing to help by paying 1/2 the cost of the repair. While I agree that is a somewhat nice offer I feel they should cover the entire cost of the 2nd new engine. I would still have to pay $2650 out of pocket if they cover half and my confidence in the car's reliability is completely gone. They do not stand behind their car or engine. I am at a loss now.

2007 Paint Defect
By Amanda on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Sonata in April 2008. Within this last year I have had the paint peal off my hood and trunk. Im over my mileage for the warranty, b/c it ONLY 36,000 miles for the paint defects, and now I'm having to pay out of my own pocket for a new paint job when CLEARLY its a manufacture defect. I have spoke with the dealership, HYUNDAI, and they won't do anything so I called customer service and they told me they will put my info in their computer and if more ppl come forward then they could POSSIBLE have a recall. So the point of this blog is if you have this same problem with these vehicles please call customer service so we all can get this problem fixed!

Great car, poor paint.
By woodnknoll on 04/08/10 18:11 PM (PDT)

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new and have been thrilled with it. It's very reliable, quiet and roomy. It's just a bonus that it's cheaper than the competition. After two and a half years though a little problem has come up- the paint is peeling off in sheets! Since it now has over 36000 miles there is no more paint warranty so I'm pretty much stuck. It will be a great rolling ad to poor paint adhesion on a Hyundai. This may not be true of other colors or ages, but it sure is on my silver-blue Sonata. If I was Hyundai I sure would want to get these fixed before someone saw it, but that's not the case.

Need new suspension
By ottok on 09/29/09 16:51 PM (PDT)

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Overall I have been pretty happy with my 07 Sonata GLS. No technical or mechanical issues yet after 20,000 miles. My biggest problem has been the suspension which is designed for a light bicycle. Bumpy roads provides very strong feedback into steering wheel. Bottoming out is donw easily. So you Hyundai engineer lear from Honda Accord.

2007 Sonata
By Bob on 11/23/07 15:49 PM (PST)

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Drove many of usual new car suspects in this class and then just for fun drove the Sonata. I drove one 6 years ago but wasn't impressed. So bought a camry instead at that time. Probably the best car I've ever owned. But this time I liked the look and drive and the warranty of this car better.Also they had a 5 speed manual available on the lot which I believe makes any 4 cyl a better drive.Also saved at least $3500 over another similar camry,altima,ford focus,or malibu in the 08 models. Nice color selection. Dealership was helpful but not pushy which I like. S0 I decided to give Hyundai a try.

Why goToyota and Honda?
By Dave Martin on 08/20/07 09:29 AM (PDT)

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The fit and finish of this vehicle is every bit as good as its Japanese competitors. Hyundai makes great vehicles at an affordable price. This car is reliable, fun to drive, and an amazing bargain. The 4-cylinder is a nice engine with good horsepower. Safety and standard features are the best in the business!

Love it. except for the shimmy
By JD on 11/29/06 10:54 AM (PST)

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love so many things about my new Sonata, but i am really puzzled by the violent shimmy I experience when I open the rear window while driving at highway speeds. It is scary and i wonder if others have experienced this crazy behavior and what I might do about it. Seems to me that this should not happen with such a nice car in every other respect. Any opinions or suggestions? JD

Personal experience
By Al on 09/23/06 04:59 AM (PDT)

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I am 69 years old and I found my perfect car in the Hyundai Sonata. I have been looking for a new car for 6 months. This car has it all. Quiet ride, roomy, plenty of zip getting onto freeway, good looks, good price. I have been getting between 24 & 26 MPG around town. The only option I bought was the power seat and I am glad I did.

This Hyundai doing better than a lexus
By Maximus on 09/07/06 03:33 AM (PDT)

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I did not expect such excellent quality from Hyundai. Well this one with 5M runs like a Lexus IS300. Well actually better than the Lexus. The top two Japanese brands such as Honda and Toyota won their high reputation over the past couple decades. I think Hyundai will achieve the same high reputation within the next two years. This 06 Sonata outperforms Toyota Camry and Honda Accord not only by the price advantage but also by its built quality and superior performance!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.