Used 2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2007 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Great while it lasted
By Lyn

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 2007 sonata new. It was a phenomenal car. great gas mileage no issues for years. but when they start they don't stop.
Last week spent 200 for a/c maint. now it has trouble starting. Diagnostic tests say nothing wrong. Sometimes get in it turns right over. other times it won't. Door handle on the drivers side fell off in my hand. Rear window motor died.

I miss my Subaru!
By PAMom

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I traded my 2002 Subaru in for this 2007 Sonata. I barely made 4 payments and now it sits. Was driving home with my children, thankfully I just got off the interstate when I lost complete power. With 4' snow banks along the roads I was lucky to get off the road. Bought a new battery, only for it to drain completely the next day. Bought an alternator, have been trying to replace for the past 4 days. This is the worse design I ever saw! Read on other blogs how Hyundai's are noted for blown alternators because of valve gasket leaks shorting them out. Other Hyundai's have been recalled but not the Sonata. I had to replace the alternator on my Subaru-took less than 15 minutes. As far a gas mileage I barely get 19 mpg city, 21 mpg highway. Very Poor. Don't know if I will ever get another.
s

Bought based on reviews... VERY disappointed
By aybaker87

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in February 2011 from a private seller with 32k miles on it. FF 2 years, I've since had to replace the headlights EIGHT times (even with the top bulbs from Advance Auto), had to replace the passenger seat due to a random airbag malfunction -- which was annoyingly expensive! --,
the paint is slowly but surely beginning to chip on the hood, the passenger door handle literally came off. One night, attempt to open the door, the handle broke off in my hand. And most recently, even having had scheduled, routine maintenance done, the engine now needs to be replaced. After everything I've dealt with, I'm buying another car instead of spending 2 grand to fix an unreliable car.

Fun to drive -- when it runs Quiet ride Impressive power for a 4cyl Tons of trunk space very spacious interior -- roomy front AND back seat

Unreliable -- ticking time bomb for the next mechanical or body malfunction. Expensive to continually repair whatever goes wrong next. =\

Terrible car!!!
By jiannaccone1

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2007 new and had to repalce the engine at 71,000 miles.
This was completely covered by the factory warranty which I was greatful for.
Two years later and 35,000 miles into the 2nd engine it blows again!!
I am being told that the whole bottom half of the engine needs to be replaced and that Hyundai is willing to help by paying 1/2 the cost of the repair.
While I agree that is a somewhat nice offer I feel they should cover the entire cost of the 2nd new engine.
I would still have to pay $2650 out of pocket if they cover half and my confidence in the car's reliability is completely gone.
They do not stand behind their car or engine. I am at a loss now.

Fix engine problem. The others that have had a similar issue describe a common problem that really should be resolved. Also the customer service is very poor.

2007 Paint Defect
By Amanda

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Sonata in April 2008. Within this last year I have had the paint peal off my hood and trunk. Im over my mileage for the warranty, b/c it ONLY 36,000 miles for the paint defects, and now I'm having to pay out of my own pocket for a new paint job when CLEARLY its a manufacture defect. I have spoke with the dealership, HYUNDAI, and they won't do anything so I called customer service and they told me they will put my info in their computer and if more ppl come forward then they could POSSIBLE have a recall. So the point of this blog is if you have this same problem with these vehicles please call customer service so we all can get this problem fixed!

Rides nicely and great gas mileage

Paint you cars better!