Used 2007 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 318 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2007 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Great while it lasted
By Lyn

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 2007 sonata new. It was a phenomenal car. great gas mileage no issues for years. but when they start they don't stop.
Last week spent 200 for a/c maint. now it has trouble starting. Diagnostic tests say nothing wrong. Sometimes get in it turns right over. other times it won't. Door handle on the drivers side fell off in my hand. Rear window motor died.

I miss my Subaru!
By PAMom

2007 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I traded my 2002 Subaru in for this 2007 Sonata. I barely made 4 payments and now it sits. Was driving home with my children, thankfully I just got off the interstate when I lost complete power. With 4' snow banks along the roads I was lucky to get off the road. Bought a new battery, only for it to drain completely the next day. Bought an alternator, have been trying to replace for the past 4 days. This is the worse design I ever saw! Read on other blogs how Hyundai's are noted for blown alternators because of valve gasket leaks shorting them out. Other Hyundai's have been recalled but not the Sonata. I had to replace the alternator on my Subaru-took less than 15 minutes. As far a gas mileage I barely get 19 mpg city, 21 mpg highway. Very Poor. Don't know if I will ever get another.
s

Reliable Car and Great Value!
By Benjamin

2007 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan w/XM (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this 2007 Sonata SE V6 since June 2011 (4 years) and it has been a wonderful car to own. I used to live in Texas so the paint has some minor wear thanks the the flaming sun but other than that most people don't seem to notice. I have received many compliments on this car to the point that many people thought is was a brand new car! This car used to be a rental car and I'm impressed how well it has held up since I took ownership!
I got this car around 97k miles and it is currently at the 152k mark and it is a trooper. I drove it from the West Texas area to Austin,TX (8 hours of driving) and I had a quarter of a tank of gas left! It gets really good gas mileage on the highway as long as you are in the 60-70 mph range. It gets terrible gas mileage in the city but that's a given for most cars anyway. During my undergraduate degree I drove six hours (one trip, 12 for round trip) from my hometown to my college and I haven't had any major mechanical problems with my Sonata. I'm currently attending Graduate school in Ohio and I have made 2 round trips of 2,224 miles from Texas to Northwest Ohio and I still haven't had any mechanical problems. It still runs and sounds great! It has good acceleration, braking, a quiet cabin and is smooth on the highway. I'm not a big fan of the body roll and the steering but I have dealt with worse. I have had regular maintenance and some major maintenance due to the age of the car. I had to fix the rear axle for the major maintenance but I haven't had any problems with my engine and transmission. My passenger window motor went out probably due to my car transitioning from Texas to Ohio weather and from people opening it all time -_- I have had some problems with the brake lights but the manufacturer recall quickly resolved that issue. If you baby this car and drive non-aggressively it will return the favor. I'm really happy with this car and I hope it continues to thrive!

What hasn't gone wrong???
By Kaitlyn

2007 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I HATE this car. I take relatively good care of my car but it is literally falling apart. In the 5 years that I have had it, my driver window dry rotted and had to be replaced, my back passenger window has done the same thing, my driver door handles have both broken (interior completely broke off and exterior won't catch the latch anymore, the passenger side exterior hand literally broke off, my fuzes keep blowing so my airbag and check engine light are constantly on, my airbag had to be replaced on the passenger side, and my visor will not stay up anymore. Should i continue? It was a good first car due to good mpg and safety features, however, in the long run it is proving to be more money and trouble than it's actually worth.

Excellent Vehicle for the Price
By Rudy

2007 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan w/XM (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The 6 cylinder 07 Sonata has plenty of pep and the transmission is rather smooth. I have done all the regular maintenance and have gone to the dealer only once to service a recall on the passenger seat air bag. Which, by the way, was not serviced because the sensor chose to operate that day when I took it in, but has been malfunctioning on and off as long as I've had this car since new. The other recall was for the brake light switch that I chose to replace myself. I have a trust problem with all mechanics. The interior materials used are rather cheap. However, some tender loving care will do a lot to preserve it. The car has about 70K miles on it and still runs very smoothly. The paint job is of poor quality and seems to chip fairly easily. I clean it often and polish it regularly. I search often on the Internet for potential problems that others may have endured to maintain this vehicle.