2006 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Great car under $20K
By Jackie Shroff on 12/15/09 19:38 PM (PST)

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this 06 Sonata brand new. Now it has 33K miles and no problems at all. Wife drives it to work every day and a family car for the week-ends. Engine is powerful and quiet. Interior and trunk are very spacious. ABS brakes and ESC work as designed. Highway mileage is great, city could be better. Overall great car under $20K with power sunroof, ABS, alloy wheels. Great job Hyundai, will definitely buy another Hyundai car or SUV in next couple of years. No wonder Hyundai's sales went up in this down car market while other car makers are suffering.

Crashed Approved
By Chambers on 10/23/09 21:25 PM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second review. Wife and daughter T-boned a lady driving a Saturn Outlook doing 50 MPH in our Sonata GLS, then spun out into a ditch. Based on the damage our car was totaled. The Sonata held up very well, all 4 doors would still open and the front end crumple zones took the impact very well. I was very impressed with the safety of the vehicle, both wife and daughter walked away pretty much unharmed. I would buy another Sonata based on this alone, including other features like the fun to drive, comfort and reliability factor. BEST car on the market for the money, hands down.

Still happy after 3 years
By Vittseek on 09/09/09 10:12 AM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Very attractive and reliable car. Have put 36K miles on it in 3 years and have been very please with overall performance. Only issues have been minor. Has excellent power for a 4- banger and gets great mileage (esp on the open road). Switch on power seat and a brake light switch have had to be replaced; other than that - nothing. Only complaint is that the car sits so low to ground that it makes changing own oil a challenge.

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 6 cyl
By Greg W on 08/21/09 20:55 PM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have an 06 Sonata with the 6 cylinder. I have had one emission issue with the car at 70k miles (I had to pay for the repair). I purchased my first set of tires at 68 k miles and I just had the brakes inspected @ 74 k and front and rear are at 75% new. Besides the normal maintenance (bulbs, wiper blades), I’ve had to repair under warranty the w/s wiper pump, and a couple of check engines until I had the gas cap thing down. I love this car, so I bought my fifth Hyundai and second Sonata today. The 06 car handles well, has great pick up and gives even more with the shift- tronic. Plenty of drivers leg room with easy cabin controls. Great braking and the ESC and multiple air bags a plus.

Loyal Hyundai owners
By Robin on 08/19/09 16:47 PM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is our third Hyundai, our first sonata. We have put 80000 miles on it in three years. We love the 30 miles per gallon on the highway. Can travel from Houston to Wichita Falls on one tank of gas! We love the roominess and the low cost of maintenance. We have not had any trouble with it.

88,000 miles
By T Slape on 08/06/09 20:10 PM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I drive it a lot. Both visors failed after warranty, Hyundai wouldn't replace them. Something is rattling in the rear end, not sure what, but I think it needs shocks/struts. Windshield washer just failed. Otherwise the car is great and I would buy another. The trailer hitch kit that said "bolts on in under 30 minutes..." did!

Approaching 60K
By Rick on 07/15/09 15:05 PM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My 2nd sonata. Only problems have been a dead windshield washer pump and some doorlock issues, both addressed by dealer. This car is a great value, & Hyundai is a great story - they appear to be making quality vehicles at reasonable prices. Still, I enjoy our 99 e320 more, but no complaints on the brand or dealer.

My first Hyundai won't be the last!
By Tom B on 06/29/09 16:52 PM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I was on the fence about Hyundai until I read about the Sonata and how it was built in America. So I bought the first V6 Sonata LX fully loaded to arrive in San Diego and paid invoice! Had to settle for Black as that was what came in. To this day I have ZERO regrets! The car is amazing and looks fantastic. It has really held up great with just a few oil changes and 30K service. I've replaced the tires and front brakes and that's it. I highly recommend this car to anyone. The only downside is gas mileage..typical driving will get you about 19 mpg if you really drive it light around 23mpg... I see it averaging close to 30 mpg on a long highway trips.

Update
By Frank on 06/28/09 20:06 PM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Now have over 27000 miles on my '06 Sonata and still love this car. It has been bullet proof so far. What impresses me the most is how smooth and quiet this car is. Except for the noise that comes from water spray on the undercarriage when it rains, this car is extremely quite. My friend owns a Lexus LS and this car is nearly as smooth and quiet as his car! Power is very good for a 4 cylinder, but is noticeable slower with the A/C running. ESC is great in the snow. Overall mileage has been 24.9 mpg with about 31 mpg on highway. Way more car for the money that with Toyota or Honda. Only issue is poor resale value. But that should improve as more people discover Hyundai.

Problems with 2006 Sonata
By Patricia Moline on 06/19/09 06:06 AM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

One year into ownership, I had trouble with the locks & the dome light burned out. The door locks would unlock & lock on their own. I have 18,400 miles on it now and the back driver's side back brake is bad. The dealership said Hyundai will not warranty the brake. The car is not yet 3 yrs old. I am the original owner. I bought the car new in Sept. 2006. I will be writing the MN Attorney General about this problem.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.