Used 2006 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

So far sooo good.
By geekfreak32

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Running on 76k miles now. All I did was oil change, battery change, tire change, filter change and belt change. Six years of owning this car ever since it was bought new, maintenance was minimal. I had a Mitsubishi 3000gt before, gave me all sorts of engine and transmission problems. I'm sticking with Hyundai. Call it luck or whatever it is, my car runs like a champ. Forgot to mention, when I was on the L.I.E(495) coming from Long Island to Queens, a Stony Brook student hit the rear of my car with his Saab. My bumper only had a minor paint chip while his entire front bumper and hood was crushed in. The impact was enough to tilt my head. Unfazed.

Crash proof and safe. Enough horsepower to accelerate into any speeding highway.

Compared to the modern Sonata design, it's really boring, but I don't really mind the bulky look. Also, the airbag warning light is bugging me, I took it to the dealer twice for oil change and such, they never mentioned it to me. Should be still in warranty, maybe I should ask next time I go.

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX V6 FWD Plush Ride not Firm
By mogulprinceton

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Lets make something clear the 2006-2010 Hyundai Sonata's are not sports cars, its more of a luxury car. It has a very smooth plush ride but the suspension is the worst. It's not a good car to cut corners fast in at all. A lot of body roll. It seems as if when taking off from a red light to a green light at full throttle the front wheels can't really handle the power the engine is giving off so it makes the wheels burn rubber on the pavement which I hate. The ESC kicks in very quick when on wet or slippy roads. I was driving and turned a left at a 15 degree angle at 20mph and the ESC did its job even though I didnt need it to save me at that time. It should have daytime running lights.

The streeing is great, exterior styling is awesome, leather seats are nice, sound system sounds banging, 17 inch alloy rims look attractive

Suspension needs firming its to plush

Love our Sonata!
By 2hyundaiowners

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought it in 2007 w/ 20K miles-it now has 100,000 miles and looks & runs great. Only had a couple of maintenance recalls & broken sun-visor covered under warranty. After warranty expired, one sensor went out, it was covered by our extended warranty. We have only replaced tires, oil, battery & brakes-NO OTHER MAINTENANCE! My husband commutes 75 miles daily & averages 26mpg on highway, 21 in town. It has great acceleration needed for freeway. We got a great car with many upscale features for a reasonable price. Liked this so much, we purchased a 2008 Hyundai Azera for the family car. We are passing this down to our daughter; it has great safety ratings & we trust it for her and her baby.

Sporty, but the size will comfortably accommodate five people. HUGE trunk! Size is comfortable for 6'2" man-other cars we tested didn't have good head clearance room.

Quality of the leather needs a little improvement, it wears more than out other vehicles have.

The 146mph Sonata
By mrebate

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

No, I haven't hit 146 but owners of this model may want to Google the title of my review. A rental was clocked doing that speed. However, I was going about 70 mph last month and unexpectedly came up on a large chunk of a truck tire in the middle of my lane. The Sonata handled like a Nascar vehicle. It reminded me of the first time I drove a Mercedes back in 1970. So far so good with this 6 year old vehicle, but it only has 29,000 miles. Depreciation is a factor with these cars, so you may want to look for a cream puff that is 1 or 2 yrs old if looking for a newer model.

Great car and great warranty!!!
By dwhitie

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my Hyundai Sonata for 4 years. It has been a great car ever since. The only issue I had was the visor broke, but they replaced it under warranty no questions asked. I love the way it drives and it's reliability. I would definately recommend it. I currently have 98,000 miles on it and trust it will go many more miles.

• SUV