Used 2006 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Consumer Reviews - 636 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Hyundai Sonata Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2006 Hyundai Sonata Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Hyundai Changed My Whole Opinion On Their Cars
By Jay C

2006 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Very surprised with this vehicle. I was sketchy before I got this car because of Hyundai's previous reputation, but after driving it and owning it for a few months, I am very impressed.
I want to start off with my absolute favorite thing about this car - it rides so incredibly smooth, and the road noise is minimal inside of the cabin. Seriously, the smoothness of the ride is right up there with GM's more luxurious brands (Buick, Cadillac). The acceleration is impressive (I have the 3.3L V6), and the breaking is great. Another thing I'd like to note is how great the overall visibility this vehicle provides. As for the interior, the layout of the radio, AC controls, and the car controls (turn signals, wipers, etc.) is pretty simple and easy to learn relatively quick. However, while I do enjoy the simplicity of the layout, I have to say I don't care for how basic this car is. I know it isn't the LX, but still, this car seriously lacks some features that other cars in its class (Accord and Camry) have. The backseat provides decent leg room and is somewhat roomy for the passengers.
This car is 10 years old now, and I'm still impressed with the driving characteristics of this vehicle, and my opinion of Hyundai has absolutely changed.

No belt Chain for timing
By Louis

2006 Hyundai Sonata Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We owned it since new 190000 still going of course you have to maintain where parts but if your looking for a used car I would recommend this year since it was built in USA plant I have the LX and I'm handy when it comes to doing my own repairs .

This car is the stuff of nightmares.
By Stephanie Smith

2006 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car about 2 years ago from a guy whose grandparents who passed away and didn't want the car. I bought it with 63k miles on it. I'm now at 77k miles and EVERYTHING is breaking. Everything in this car rattles, so there are always noises. No matter how much money I put into this car to fix it, something else breaks. I've had to get new struts, motor mounts, hoses, headlights, door handles, a new motor for the wiper fluid, control arms, bushings, the rotors are about to go. I'm STILL having problems. I've taken great care of this car, but I can't seem to stop the breakage. I would not recommend this car to anyone.

Very Dissapointed! Wanted a Reliable Beautiful car
By Linda Goodwin

2006 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Fell in love with my 2006 Sonata. Beautiful metal-flake Cherry Coke color with beige interior and wood trim on dash. Looks very elegant. To date both front doors are peeling like crazy for NO reason....and any black paint ie: windshield wipers, posts between windows has faded dreadfully... looks terrible! Have had several issues with the check engine light coming on. Have replaced modules, timing chain, tensioners, you name it. This car has been driven less than any vehicle I have owned and has been the worse for wear. When new you couldn't hear the car idle at all and now it just knocks all the time. Dealer is of little help..even told me all the re-call work had been done when I knew it had not. Will not purchase another Hyundai....

Best Car I ever owned (Ten Year Original Owner)
By mikeinmemphis

2006 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the car off the show room floor in North Los Angeles and drove it home 130 miles south to San Diego. I t was a great trip. New Car, New Car smell and acceleration galore. Car is fast. I moved to the mid south a year later and have been there ever since. Car is great in snow and ice. Car has 175K miles and is still on original spark plugs. Still on original transmission fluid and original radiator fluid. I get an oil change religiously every 3000 miles (I think thats the secret to long life). Car has had no major trouble. I tow with it all the time. (5x8 utility trailer 1000 lbs not a problem). Minor problems include: Sun Visor, brake pedal switch, rear 3rd brake lamp, replace headlamps 3 times, drivers window when wet and rear brake lamps bulbs. I have driven the car at 130 miles an hour in the Southern California desert just to see if cruise control works at over 100 mph (it does). Best Feature: Reliability. I would buy another but they don't offer that V-6 in a sonata, It is available in the Santa Fe and it now produces almost 300 hp. I like this brand and will stick with it. They need to hurry up and make the Santa Cruz cause I need a new vehicle...10 years time for a change. And yes I will keep the old sonota as a second car until she dies.