2006 Hyundai Sonata Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Value for A to B drivers
By jake013 on 05/16/14 16:26 PM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

If you're looking for a car to get you from point A to point B that's reliable, cheap to own and decent looking, you've found the right car. If you're looking for handling, performance or fun, go somewhere else. Safe, reliable and cheap! Over 250,000km's and still going strong. No rust, heck, the car still looks new. It's never even been rustproofed and I live in Canada.

Buikd quality Misses
By muddie36 on 01/16/14 06:29 AM (PST)

2006 Hyundai Sonata Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

There are certain build quality issues with Hyundai and I believe that this was good first serious attempt to challenge Toyota and Honda. But the cup holders are horrible and should have never ever made it to production. What was hyundai thinking? One can only assume that Koreans think that every drink Americans have are supersized big gulfs? (they did address this with the 2010 updates). The Sunvisor breaking arm issue should have been a recall and not a TSB. The Sunvisor arm breaks and then comes down while you are driving, so I guess it's okay that the visor comes down and blocks your view causing an accident. And the final pet peeve are the break lig

230,000 mile road dog
By guest101 on 01/08/14 21:59 PM (PST)

2006 Hyundai Sonata Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Sonata in 07 with 22,000 miles (previous rental). Overall I have LOVED my car, very dependable! There have been some little issues with sensors going off along the way, but just annoyances. My car has a ton of highway time, it has been a commuter for the last five years and never let me down. The only major mechanical fix $400 alternator repair at 217,000 miles. Otherwise just brakes battery, oil, tire maintenance. I give the interior a little lower rating as the quality seems a bit too plastic and I have broken visors, cup holder, center console etc-but my car takes a beating. Interior just hasn't held up as well as I had hoped.Seats are a bit uncomfortable for long drive

2006 4 Cyl GLS
By brantw on 12/13/13 08:16 AM (PST)

2006 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car 3 years ago for our daughter. It was a one owner, well cared for car with 90K miles. It now has 105K miles and has been good to us. I had the usual 90K mile service done when we first got the car (change fluids, belts, hoses) and all has been well. While the engine may be slightly less refined than my wife's camry, the build quality and fit and finish is better. I am a car guy a really like this car. The mass air flow recently failed but this is relatively minor and the car sits outside at college day after day and this may have had something to do with it. Mileage is good and would buy the car again.

Warning: It costs $4,000 for a clutch job!
By rob_anderson on 12/03/13 11:54 AM (PST)

2006 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My clutch failed at only 85,000 miles (and half of those highway miles), and to my dismay I found that this car has a "dual mass flywheel" that can not be resurfaced and costs $4,000 to repair (even MORE if you have the dealer do it). I've also read online that brakes are REALLY expensive to repair on this model - but I haven't had to do that yet. So, if you buy this car (and probably other Hyundai's) be aware that you will have huge repair bills down the road. I'll sound like a shill for saying it, but my mechanic literally told me that I should have bought a Honda. It's too late for me, but not for you.

Outstanding value, power and handling
By aseries on 03/23/13 10:20 AM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Sonata Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Our 2006 Hyundai Sonata LX has 68,000 miles. My wife used it for daily commuting for 5 years with an occasional road trip. We are both retired now and it is mostly used for road trips around Minnesota and one or two long trips to Arizona and other vacation spots. It is by far the best family car I have owned. I have it regularly serviced at our local Hyundai dealer and I have experienced only one minor issue with rear brakes. Otherwise...zero problems. It is a joy to drive on the highway or twisty back roads. I am on my second set of tires and brakes. This week I will replace the original battery. We fully intend to keep this car forever, God willing.

Six Years and Still Happy Customer
By danbro1 on 03/21/13 13:35 PM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Sonata Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, I am VERY pleased with my 2006 Sonata LX. I purchased it new in 2006 and have had two minor warranty repairs, a power window malfunction and an ignition key issue. I change the oil and rotate the tires every 4M miles. I have about 55M miles on the car.

Great Value, Great Car, Well Kept Secret
By 2006sonata on 02/23/13 07:45 AM (PST)

2006 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Sonata new in Pittsburgh. It's been a really fantastic vehicle. In 2006 they changed the body style, and it still looks fresh. We got the V6, and this car will really move. Mechanically we've had no issues, but we haven't hit the 60K mile mark yet. If you need a good second car, or a first car for a new driver, you won't regret buying one of these. Been fantastic. (I only hope it can go as long as my 2001 Jeep Cherokee - truly an awesome SUV if ever there were one).

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX V6
By mogulprinceton on 01/29/13 16:14 PM (PST)

2006 Hyundai Sonata Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I dont understand... When I fill my tank up it says 350 miles to empty every time but the MPG estimator say 318.6 CITY /477.9 HIGHWAY. My Sonata has 31,000 miles on it and its 7 years old. After while the car becomes uncomfortable on long rides a hour or so into the drive. It's hard to take off from a red light without the wheels spinning causing a ruckus. The body roll is insane when turning at spends higher that 15mph. The 235 @ 6,000 RPM and the 226 lb-ft Torque @ 3,500 Torque RPM is to much for the front tires.

So far sooo good.
By geekfreak32 on 01/04/13 12:32 PM (PST)

2006 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Running on 76k miles now. All I did was oil change, battery change, tire change, filter change and belt change. Six years of owning this car ever since it was bought new, maintenance was minimal. I had a Mitsubishi 3000gt before, gave me all sorts of engine and transmission problems. I'm sticking with Hyundai. Call it luck or whatever it is, my car runs like a champ. Forgot to mention, when I was on the L.I.E(495) coming from Long Island to Queens, a Stony Brook student hit the rear of my car with his Saab. My bumper only had a minor paint chip while his entire front bumper and hood was crushed in. The impact was enough to tilt my head. Unfazed.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.