2006 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
2006 4 Cyl GLS
By brantw on 12/13/13 08:16 AM (PST)

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car 3 years ago for our daughter. It was a one owner, well cared for car with 90K miles. It now has 105K miles and has been good to us. I had the usual 90K mile service done when we first got the car (change fluids, belts, hoses) and all has been well. While the engine may be slightly less refined than my wife's camry, the build quality and fit and finish is better. I am a car guy a really like this car. The mass air flow recently failed but this is relatively minor and the car sits outside at college day after day and this may have had something to do with it. Mileage is good and would buy the car again.

Great car and great warranty!!!
By dwhitie on 01/07/12 19:13 PM (PST)

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my Hyundai Sonata for 4 years. It has been a great car ever since. The only issue I had was the visor broke, but they replaced it under warranty no questions asked. I love the way it drives and it's reliability. I would definately recommend it. I currently have 98,000 miles on it and trust it will go many more miles.

5 years and still love my car
By concordenerd on 02/05/11 09:05 AM (PST)

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Sonata for 5 years now and still like the car very much. I wish it would have some of the newer features, but no big deal. Gas is a plus as well.

Still happy after 3 years
By Vittseek on 09/09/09 10:12 AM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Very attractive and reliable car. Have put 36K miles on it in 3 years and have been very please with overall performance. Only issues have been minor. Has excellent power for a 4- banger and gets great mileage (esp on the open road). Switch on power seat and a brake light switch have had to be replaced; other than that - nothing. Only complaint is that the car sits so low to ground that it makes changing own oil a challenge.

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 6 cyl
By Greg W on 08/21/09 20:55 PM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have an 06 Sonata with the 6 cylinder. I have had one emission issue with the car at 70k miles (I had to pay for the repair). I purchased my first set of tires at 68 k miles and I just had the brakes inspected @ 74 k and front and rear are at 75% new. Besides the normal maintenance (bulbs, wiper blades), Iíve had to repair under warranty the w/s wiper pump, and a couple of check engines until I had the gas cap thing down. I love this car, so I bought my fifth Hyundai and second Sonata today. The 06 car handles well, has great pick up and gives even more with the shift- tronic. Plenty of drivers leg room with easy cabin controls. Great braking and the ESC and multiple air bags a plus.

Loyal Hyundai owners
By Robin on 08/19/09 16:47 PM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is our third Hyundai, our first sonata. We have put 80000 miles on it in three years. We love the 30 miles per gallon on the highway. Can travel from Houston to Wichita Falls on one tank of gas! We love the roominess and the low cost of maintenance. We have not had any trouble with it.

Update
By Frank on 06/28/09 20:06 PM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Now have over 27000 miles on my '06 Sonata and still love this car. It has been bullet proof so far. What impresses me the most is how smooth and quiet this car is. Except for the noise that comes from water spray on the undercarriage when it rains, this car is extremely quite. My friend owns a Lexus LS and this car is nearly as smooth and quiet as his car! Power is very good for a 4 cylinder, but is noticeable slower with the A/C running. ESC is great in the snow. Overall mileage has been 24.9 mpg with about 31 mpg on highway. Way more car for the money that with Toyota or Honda. Only issue is poor resale value. But that should improve as more people discover Hyundai.

Problems with 2006 Sonata
By Patricia Moline on 06/19/09 06:06 AM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

One year into ownership, I had trouble with the locks & the dome light burned out. The door locks would unlock & lock on their own. I have 18,400 miles on it now and the back driver's side back brake is bad. The dealership said Hyundai will not warranty the brake. The car is not yet 3 yrs old. I am the original owner. I bought the car new in Sept. 2006. I will be writing the MN Attorney General about this problem.

The Value Leader of the 4-Door Sedans
By Ledfoot472 on 03/22/09 19:23 PM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I had this car for almost 4 years and just traded it for an Azera. I do not have many complaints. There were only a few warranty repairs. The dealer always honored the warranty despite what some people say. My 4-cyl felt more like 192 horsepower than 162. There was ample power 95% of the time. The 4 speed auto was smooth and the manual mode worked well, if a bit slow. Averaged 30-33 MPG on trips and 16-20 MPG in city driving only. The ride was comfortable, but the car could have used a bit more structural rigidity (a few squeaks and rattles). Interior comfort was also good and noise levels were low unless you really wound up the engine. Doing your own maintenance is also simple.

Great Value, Great Car
By Andrew on 03/20/09 09:43 AM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Great car, I have had this car for over 3 years now and have no problems, gas millage is good, spunky 4cyl is more then enough. This car is effortless to drive, I have another car choice of a much more expensive so called "drivers" car and I always choose the Sonata when I have long trips.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.