Used 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2006 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

2006 4 Cyl GLS
By brantw

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car 3 years ago for our daughter. It was a one owner, well cared for car with 90K miles. It now has 105K miles and has been good to us. I had the usual 90K mile service done when we first got the car (change fluids, belts, hoses) and all has been well. While the engine may be slightly less refined than my wife's camry, the build quality and fit and finish is better. I am a car guy a really like this car. The mass air flow recently failed but this is relatively minor and the car sits outside at college day after day and this may have had something to do with it. Mileage is good and would buy the car again.

Favorite Features

Nice functional interior. The previous owner fitted our GLS with leather. Body style is nice and attractive in aquamarine with the upgraded alloy wheels.

Suggested Improvements

More front seat travel. I am 6'2" and it is tight when I am driving. An aux port for ipods would have been nice. We have had a couple of minor issues with the rear door lock failing and a sticky driver's outside door handle but that's it.

Great car and great warranty!!!
By dwhitie

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my Hyundai Sonata for 4 years. It has been a great car ever since. The only issue I had was the visor broke, but they replaced it under warranty no questions asked. I love the way it drives and it's reliability. I would definately recommend it. I currently have 98,000 miles on it and trust it will go many more miles.

5 years and still love my car
By concordenerd

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Sonata for 5 years now and still like the car very much. I wish it would have some of the newer features, but no big deal. Gas is a plus as well.

Still happy after 3 years
By Vittseek

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Very attractive and reliable car. Have put 36K miles on it in 3 years and have been very please with overall performance. Only issues have been minor. Has excellent power for a 4- banger and gets great mileage (esp on the open road). Switch on power seat and a brake light switch have had to be replaced; other than that - nothing. Only complaint is that the car sits so low to ground that it makes changing own oil a challenge.

Favorite Features

like the pwr seats, mirrors, and sunroof. huge trunk.

Suggested Improvements

some of the interior trims pieces feel cheap.

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 6 cyl
By Greg W

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have an 06 Sonata with the 6 cylinder. I have had one emission issue with the car at 70k miles (I had to pay for the repair). I purchased my first set of tires at 68 k miles and I just had the brakes inspected @ 74 k and front and rear are at 75% new. Besides the normal maintenance (bulbs, wiper blades), Iíve had to repair under warranty the w/s wiper pump, and a couple of check engines until I had the gas cap thing down. I love this car, so I bought my fifth Hyundai and second Sonata today. The 06 car handles well, has great pick up and gives even more with the shift- tronic. Plenty of drivers leg room with easy cabin controls. Great braking and the ESC and multiple air bags a plus.

Favorite Features

Leather seating, steering wheel controls, ESC, multiple air bags, pick up and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Front seat base needs to be longer and the lower power seating w/ more of a tilt adjust to compensate for the short base. Engine whine- horrible. Headrest is a pain when backing.