Used 2006 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2006 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Love it and Hate it
By rrankin90

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this car since 2011. It only had 7,000 miles when I purchased it. Obviously Grandma Moses owned it first! I love the ride, drive, and comfort of seats for rides lasting less than four hours. Anything over that and my back begins to hurt. The only thing I can actually say that I HATE about the car is the constant need to replace light bulbs. From headlight bulbs, break lights, and the bulbs over the license plate. Ugh!!! Many are easy to change and I've made my own way of changing them. Others... Not so much. Almost two hours to change the high mount bulb in the back window. Other than that I love it and will definitely buy another!!!

Favorite Features

Interior features and quality of leather upholstery. Powerful V6 engine without compromising gas mileage too much. Smooth ride and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Make the bulbs easier to change!!! I know the car is 9 years old. But make an improvement for the newer models. That's one thing I looked at in the new Sonata; how easy is it to change the freaking bulbs!!!!!

My 1996 Escort is Better
By mrebate

2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This 2006 Shoddyota, aka Sonata, was acquired in 2007 with 14,000 miles. PROBLEMS before 30,000 miles: $1,200 engine repair to replace shoddy timing chain tensioners. Poor quality engine component should have been recall but Hyundai shafted owners by cutting compensation to dealers for doing the repair under warranty, which was essentially negating their much touted warranty. Defective sun visors. More orange peel than my Escort. Escort also has spring loaded side view mirrors unlike Shoddyota. Cruise control stopped working. Glove box door had to be shimmed to prevent rattle. Wiper blades had to be downsized to prevent hopping. Poor city mileage. Hyundai can't even design a cup holder !!

Favorite Features

Michelin Tires

Suggested Improvements

Give every Hyundai buyer a 15 pound sledge hammer. I would enjoy smashing this chunk of garbage to a pulp.

Value for A to B drivers
By jake013

2006 Hyundai Sonata GL 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

If you're looking for a car to get you from point A to point B that's reliable, cheap to own and decent looking, you've found the right car. If you're looking for handling, performance or fun, go somewhere else. Safe, reliable and cheap! Over 250,000km's and still going strong. No rust, heck, the car still looks new. It's never even been rustproofed and I live in Canada.

Favorite Features

Projector headlights, exterior stylingÂ… no much, it's a pretty bland car.

Suggested Improvements

If a car could be a colour, this would be beige. The dash is heinous to look at. Was poorly thought out. Oh, and the transmission is god awful. a 4-speed? Who uses a 4-speed?

Buikd quality Misses
By muddie36

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

There are certain build quality issues with Hyundai and I believe that this was good first serious attempt to challenge Toyota and Honda. But the cup holders are horrible and should have never ever made it to production. What was hyundai thinking? One can only assume that Koreans think that every drink Americans have are supersized big gulfs? (they did address this with the 2010 updates). The Sunvisor breaking arm issue should have been a recall and not a TSB. The Sunvisor arm breaks and then comes down while you are driving, so I guess it's okay that the visor comes down and blocks your view causing an accident. And the final pet peeve are the break lig

Favorite Features

Handling, interior comfort, ride.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, AC controls, access to rear taillights, Sun visor arm breaking. Cost to own is very high for the six.

230,000 mile road dog
By guest101

2006 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Sonata in 07 with 22,000 miles (previous rental). Overall I have LOVED my car, very dependable! There have been some little issues with sensors going off along the way, but just annoyances. My car has a ton of highway time, it has been a commuter for the last five years and never let me down. The only major mechanical fix $400 alternator repair at 217,000 miles. Otherwise just brakes battery, oil, tire maintenance. I give the interior a little lower rating as the quality seems a bit too plastic and I have broken visors, cup holder, center console etc-but my car takes a beating. Interior just hasn't held up as well as I had hoped.Seats are a bit uncomfortable for long drive

Favorite Features

Fully loaded, very reliable! Would definitely purchase another Sonata