Used 2005 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2005 Hyundai Sonata Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

its a good basic car
By sal96

2005 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

05 sonata purchased at 166k miles (mostly highway), previous owner serviced it at the dealership, car is very reliable if maintained well, people who complain didn't service their cars. Overall the ride is comfortable, acceleration, braking is good. The interior feels a little cheap, but comfortable. (That is how older hyundais and kia are so don't be surprised). Trunk is very spacious. The engine does have plenty of power. Many 6 cylinders Sonatas out there (they are actually cheaper than 4 cylinder cause they have worse gas mileage) I strongly recommend the 4 cylinder, easier to service, maintain, better gas mileage. I even towed a small U haul Box with a washer using the sonata

Favorite Features

good gas mileage reliable big trunk

Suggested Improvements

clock never worked and that was a bummer

Very Good First Car
By blackboxmike

2005 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GL V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

First car. Purchased used at approximately 112k miles. Even with so many miles, an absolute smooth ride. Brakes made a loud scraping noise every morning after first starting the car but then went away. Seems the body dented somewhat easily. But not a huge problem. Very very quiet ride. Surprised, actually, at how quiet the car was. Even on the highway. Had a problem with the automatic locks not always engaging after pressing the lock/unlock button. Might have been a problem with my specific car. Owned it for only a little over a month before hitting a deer and totaling it. Everyone in the car was safe. The deer though--pretty much, it was splattered. Highly recommended.

Favorite Features

Smooth and quiet, safety features, very easy to drive, space in the front seat, space in the trunk, sun roof, headlights and fog lights that are both amazing, minimal maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Paint on door handles wears away quickly, body seems to dent easily, brakes seem to make loud scraping noises in the morning after first starting the car, automatic locks do not always engage right away (there is a delay),

Very Good Car
By 05_hyundia

2005 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought New. At 75000 changed timing belt n plugs. CV Shaft, was under the 100k warranty. O2 sensor twice but under warranty as well. I got 114k out of the front braKe pads. turned the rotors and new ceramic pads and we're good as new. The electronic tuned suspension really holds down the g forces in curves. I a bigger guy so the front seat is a little crowded but my shorty wife has plenty of room and loves all of the extras. I've had it to 120mph. The car settled down quite nicely and maintain that speed with ease. It doesn't look sporty but it can hold its own if you need it to.

Favorite Features

I like that if the keys are in the ignition the doors won't lock!!! All cars should have this feature

Suggested Improvements

The stereo needs an update but the cd player gets me by.

Catalytic converter problems
By dartman7

2005 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a new Kia Sephia and had bad rotors after 2 years. Then, after 79000 miles, it had a bad front catalytic converter. I thought it might be a fluke, so I decided to buy a new 2005 Sonata, even though they're made by the same company. After 2 years the rotors went bad and warped. Then, 5 1/2 years and 63000 miles, the front catalytic converter went bad. I will not buy any Kia or Hyundai again, no matter how good of a deal it may be.

Best car so far
By tommynatl

2005 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I am the type of owner who drives and maintains a car till the wheels fall off. That being said I typically buy new so I am assured of its maintenance and driving record. This is my first hyundai and I am so impressed I have quikly switched my alliegence from honda. Whatever they are doing, they are doing it right. It handles like a typical 4 door sedan except for less roll or g forces. It takes off like a rocket even when left in auto ( you can manually shift ) . But more important it has not had one single repair issue since ive owned it. This after 145 k miles. Thats right, 145 thousand miles. Not one breakdown. Not one tow. Not one replacement part. Bear in mind I do basic maintenence.

Favorite Features

Shiftable Automatic . Has alot of power for the weight . Rides like an expensive sedan yet corners effortlessly. Other riders love the ride.

Suggested Improvements

Improve power and torque. Offer a Turbo diesel option . Put the cruise control "on" button back on the wheel. Offer Turbo for all models helping increase fuel economy and power.