2005 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Very Good First Car
By blackboxmike on 07/25/14 19:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Sonata GL V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

First car. Purchased used at approximately 112k miles. Even with so many miles, an absolute smooth ride. Brakes made a loud scraping noise every morning after first starting the car but then went away. Seems the body dented somewhat easily. But not a huge problem. Very very quiet ride. Surprised, actually, at how quiet the car was. Even on the highway. Had a problem with the automatic locks not always engaging after pressing the lock/unlock button. Might have been a problem with my specific car. Owned it for only a little over a month before hitting a deer and totaling it. Everyone in the car was safe. The deer though--pretty much, it was splattered. Highly recommended.

Very Good Car
By 05_hyundia on 07/01/14 18:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought New. At 75000 changed timing belt n plugs. CV Shaft, was under the 100k warranty. O2 sensor twice but under warranty as well. I got 114k out of the front braKe pads. turned the rotors and new ceramic pads and we're good as new. The electronic tuned suspension really holds down the g forces in curves. I a bigger guy so the front seat is a little crowded but my shorty wife has plenty of room and loves all of the extras. I've had it to 120mph. The car settled down quite nicely and maintain that speed with ease. It doesn't look sporty but it can hold its own if you need it to.

Catalytic converter problems
By dartman7 on 11/30/11 15:16 PM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Sonata GL 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a new Kia Sephia and had bad rotors after 2 years. Then, after 79000 miles, it had a bad front catalytic converter. I thought it might be a fluke, so I decided to buy a new 2005 Sonata, even though they're made by the same company. After 2 years the rotors went bad and warped. Then, 5 1/2 years and 63000 miles, the front catalytic converter went bad. I will not buy any Kia or Hyundai again, no matter how good of a deal it may be.

Best car so far
By tommynatl on 02/01/11 02:24 AM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I am the type of owner who drives and maintains a car till the wheels fall off. That being said I typically buy new so I am assured of its maintenance and driving record. This is my first hyundai and I am so impressed I have quikly switched my alliegence from honda. Whatever they are doing, they are doing it right. It handles like a typical 4 door sedan except for less roll or g forces. It takes off like a rocket even when left in auto ( you can manually shift ) . But more important it has not had one single repair issue since ive owned it. This after 145 k miles. Thats right, 145 thousand miles. Not one breakdown. Not one tow. Not one replacement part. Bear in mind I do basic maintenence.

Poor Manfacturer Follow Up
By JJTucker on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Sonata GL 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have loved my Hyundai Sonata except for one thing.It started making a horrible noise from the rear at about 36,000 miles and has gotten much worse over time.The servicing dealership (Pinehurst Hyundai) would not acknowledge the noise, and the Hyundai Corp. simply ignored our plead for help.No Hyundai area rep would even take time to contact us! We are left with a vehicle that we can't sell and get anything out of because of this.The poor customer service has literally cost us thousands of dollars.If you are planning to purchase a Hyundai you need to consider that if anything happens They will not stand behind there product. That tells me that they do not believe in their product. Beware!

2005 Sonata GLS
By Brian on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Sonata GL 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the best car I have ever owned. I have 125,000 miles on it and have not had ONE problem - nothing at all.

Experiance it to believe it
By Mir on 06/05/10 15:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Sonata GL 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When my older son asked if I have looked at Hyundais I gave him a long stare. My 20 year old's need for a daily driver while in college got me to research vehicles. Went to test drive a Sonata and came home with it. Unbelievably smooth take off and stopping and everything in between. Handles like an expensive luxury sedan. Effortless steering, smooth cornering. The auto-manual puts you instantly in a sports rush. Superbly crisp sound. Oh and such distinctive exterior, jaguar like, without the Jaguar tag or nag. If I hadn't experienced it I would be still holding my long stare at the name Hyundai, continuing to hold my Mercedes', BMWs and lexus' close to heart. But now I'm a believer.

Great Car
By Dennis on 05/19/10 08:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Just passed 90K with no major problems. Changed timing belt, spark plugs and trans/coolant fluids. Front brakes at 75,000 miles and regular oil changes are all that has been required. Runs great, very smooth. Best car for the money I have ever purchased new.

Best Car Ever!
By waterloggg on 04/30/10 23:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This was the best car we ever had! all we had to do was normal oil and tire changes. We owned the car for 4 years, until recently when I was in an accident. The car was totaled and the insurance company is only offering 1/2 of what we still owe! I kid you not when I say this was the best car ever! I was told that I was lucky, this car did what it was supposed to do and that was to keep those in the vehicle safe. I wish I had my car back! I cannot afford another one since i have to still pay 1/2 of the loan for a car I do not have! I can not afford to buy a car at all. If I could I would buy another in a heart beat. My 4 boys miss it just as much as I do, if not more. Thank You!

Great Car, Minimal Problems
By B on 08/12/09 05:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Sonata GL 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We have put 107,000 miles on this car in four years and it has not given us many problems. The only one it has given us is that the windshield wipers get stuck and you just have to loosen them from the windshield. Other than that this car has given us no problems and has even held up when I had a 2 hour commute (each way) to work each day.