2004 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Outstanding value
By John on 09/08/08 09:56 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this when our other car died. The interior and acceleration sold me and my wife. We have the 4 cylinder. No problem getting to highway speed off of ramp, and that speed is 70 mph. I make frequent 600 mile trips and check mileage. My last trip highway mileage was 31.5 , which is better than the sticker said. This was the last year for south Korean made sonatas. They are now made in Montgomery Alabama.

grandma's car
By tom on 08/23/08 20:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My 85 yr old mother purchased this 2004 sonata gls new. Turned into on coming traffic and was hit head on, the other car was totaled she received only a minor bruise from the air bag. We hoped they would total it so he didn't have to put her back on the road. Ins fixed it, she no longer drives and I have been driving it. Now I am glad they repaired it, it's the best car I have ever owned.

Missing my Sonata
By Becky Krzemen on 08/13/08 17:36 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Sonata used and had it for two wonderful years before my 16 year old totaled it. The car kept her perfectly safe and didn't even look back after the accident. I cried when the insurance man said, "total loss". That was the best car I have ever owned, I never had a single problem with that car. It was so fun to drive and I loved the exterior style. The gas mileage wasn't as good as I would have liked but I sure miss my Sonata. I ordered a brand new Sonata today, I'm sold!

Great Car Very Safe
By Sheri on 05/10/08 20:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car had it for 4 years only had to replace battery , thermostat, and brakes, only maintenance i did was change oil every 3000 miles, change out coolant ,change timing belt and all other belts and air filters and of course oil filters and wiper blades did NO other maintenance . Car saved my life in a major accident recently. Did excellent job in crash. Was hit by other vehicle going 80 mph. and I walked away with only minor bruises and a little soreness, of course was wearing seat belt, But the car was totaled but I was unhurt for the most part. Could not ask for better car. Great gas mileage and reliability. Get Gap Protection it is worth the investment!!

OK car
By Jeff on 06/24/07 20:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Sonata 6/04 and traded it 4/07 with 77K miles. It was comfortable, but with the 4cyl acceleration left something to be desired (with no MPG benefits to show- 22mpg, mostly hwy, in the winter, 24- 26 in the summer). Reliability was questionable (in the shop 3 times with emissions issues, 1X brakes, 1X fuel pump). My friend has a V6 Sonata with none of the issues, better MPG and much more power. It was comfortable, interior used cheap materials but put together well, and I did like the car. I will buy another Hyundai (but not when putting 25-30K miles a year on the car), may buy an Elantra or new Sonata to compliment my new BMW (2003 model) for when an auto trans would be nice.

Great Car
By Mike on 04/15/06 17:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I use this car for business and have found it to be reliable and comfortable. I drive approx. 30K a year and have had no mechanical problems. I had a problem with the std. radio/CD player but that was taken care of under warranty. The drivers side inside door handle chrome peeled and also was replaced under warranty. I would not hesitate to buy another Hyundai.

Excellent Performance and Value
By Ben Bailey on 03/12/06 20:41 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We looked several of the "big boys"-Camry, Accord, Altima. The Sonata came out on top for us because of its excellent rating on reliability. However, what really sold me was the smooth, comfortable ride. I do a lot of freeway travel and I found that at at freeway speeds the Sonata is much more quiet and comfortable than any of the other aforementioned cars-even the Camry. I get all kinds of compliments on the looks of the car too-something I've never gotten before on any other car I've ever ever owned. I love this car.

Great choice
By sberhow on 05/31/05 11:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2004 Sonata used with about 17,000 miles. Also considered Mazda3, Camry, Accord, but the Sonata comes with so many more features standard, and you can't beat the price or the warranty. Love it so far - the ride is very smooth, car is very easy to handle. Tons of space in the trunk. I love the look of the car, and it's so comfortable to drive. The only down side so far is that gas milage is not quite as good as my Mazda Protege was, but that comes with a bigger car with a bigger engine.

Great Little Big Car!
By Collette on 03/29/05 07:45 AM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Hyundai since August 2004. My husband and I were looking for a car with enough room for our 3 boys to be able to sit comfortably in the back seat as well as great gas mileage as much as I drive. The Sonata is GREAT! I love my car! It has all the little extras that a higher-end car would have without the big price tag. It handles great, I have PLENTY of room in the trunk for groceries, sports equipment or luggage. The gas mileage is great. We take my car everywhere, especially with the price of gas. I love the CD player and console area where I can put my cell phone and charger. This is a great car!

hyundai 2003 V6 review
By mrkoality on 09/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great car for the money! Nice looking styling,most of the creature comforts found in more expensive cars, great free road side assistance, great reliability (this is my second v6 sonota)speaking from 6year experiance.