Used 2004 Hyundai Sonata Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2004 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Outstanding value
By John

2004 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this when our other car died. The interior and acceleration sold me and my wife. We have the 4 cylinder. No problem getting to highway speed off of ramp, and that speed is 70 mph. I make frequent 600 mile trips and check mileage. My last trip highway mileage was 31.5 , which is better than the sticker said. This was the last year for south Korean made sonatas. They are now made in Montgomery Alabama.

Favorite Features

Speed sensitive windshield wipers. Cruise control is much smoother than my toyota truck. Can do u turns with ease.

Suggested Improvements

In 4 years the CD players has given error readouts twice.Always corrected itself.

grandma's car
By tom

2004 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My 85 yr old mother purchased this 2004 sonata gls new. Turned into on coming traffic and was hit head on, the other car was totaled she received only a minor bruise from the air bag. We hoped they would total it so he didn't have to put her back on the road. Ins fixed it, she no longer drives and I have been driving it. Now I am glad they repaired it, it's the best car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

A real fun car to drive, and I have a Solstice and rather drive the sonata

Suggested Improvements

5 speed would help the mileage

Missing my Sonata
By Becky Krzemen

2004 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Sonata used and had it for two wonderful years before my 16 year old totaled it. The car kept her perfectly safe and didn't even look back after the accident. I cried when the insurance man said, "total loss". That was the best car I have ever owned, I never had a single problem with that car. It was so fun to drive and I loved the exterior style. The gas mileage wasn't as good as I would have liked but I sure miss my Sonata. I ordered a brand new Sonata today, I'm sold!

Favorite Features

Body style, leather seats, great to zip around in!

Suggested Improvements

The seats did get a little uncomfortable on long trips but I hear the new one's are improved along with better gas mileage. I'll soon find out.

Great Car Very Safe
By Sheri

2004 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car had it for 4 years only had to replace battery , thermostat, and brakes, only maintenance i did was change oil every 3000 miles, change out coolant ,change timing belt and all other belts and air filters and of course oil filters and wiper blades did NO other maintenance . Car saved my life in a major accident recently. Did excellent job in crash. Was hit by other vehicle going 80 mph. and I walked away with only minor bruises and a little soreness, of course was wearing seat belt, But the car was totaled but I was unhurt for the most part. Could not ask for better car. Great gas mileage and reliability. Get Gap Protection it is worth the investment!!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage and protection to me in the major car accident

Suggested Improvements

can not really think of any, a baby blue color would be nice to see being offered. The color choices for the 2008 in the Hyundai selection of cars are ugly.

OK car
By Jeff

2004 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Sonata 6/04 and traded it 4/07 with 77K miles. It was comfortable, but with the 4cyl acceleration left something to be desired (with no MPG benefits to show- 22mpg, mostly hwy, in the winter, 24- 26 in the summer). Reliability was questionable (in the shop 3 times with emissions issues, 1X brakes, 1X fuel pump). My friend has a V6 Sonata with none of the issues, better MPG and much more power. It was comfortable, interior used cheap materials but put together well, and I did like the car. I will buy another Hyundai (but not when putting 25-30K miles a year on the car), may buy an Elantra or new Sonata to compliment my new BMW (2003 model) for when an auto trans would be nice.

Favorite Features

Uncluttered dash, shift on demand (whatever Hyundai calls this feature), great exterior design, comfortable car (even on long trips).

Suggested Improvements

Buy the V6 and ignore the 4cyl, not enough power and not much (if any) MPG improvement. The V6 is possibly more reliable).