2004 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
The best car if you take Care of it
By kaylabandy on 10/05/14 20:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My hyundai belonged to my dad before he gave it to me. He bought it new and it has never had any major issues. Just did regular maintenance. The only thing I don't like is the headlights don't seem To be very bright! But other than that I love the car and it's always been really reliable. Just watch out for the timing belt, because of the interference engine. Don't replace it late. Other than that the car is amazing and has never failed me. Already has 190000 miles on it and runs beautifully.

My Sonata
By jg_cool on 10/17/13 14:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

For sure the head lights have a problem with having to be replaced. I also had to have the steering assembly replaced at over $1000. Now after 14 months it is starting to leak again and makes a buzzing noise due to that. I've never owned a car where I had to replace such a component. Not happy about this at all.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By collette93 on 05/19/13 11:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Sonata with 17,000 miles on it. It now has 204,000 miles and it's still going strong. It has never once left me stranded, and I've only had to do the usual car maintenance: brakes, tires, tune up, etc. I have been meticulous about oil changes every 3,000 miles. The interior is still in great shape, and it continues to be a comfortable ride, still. Truly the best car I've ever owned. My only complaint is that it's not the greatest in terms of gas mileage.

I've never had a more reliable car
By cbutschek on 05/13/13 10:32 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Sonata V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this car for about 6 years now. It has never let me down. Not long after buying it, I rear-ended an old truck that should have, in all honesty, torn things up. The car started right back up and has been running flawlessly ever since. I've never had a bad belt and, unlike my Ford, a broken a/c compressor doesn't affect engine performance. The serpentine belt started squealing a little shortly before the alternator went dead earlier this year, but I suspect a squeaky pulley rather than the belt. There is plenty of power and handles very well. I trust it to keep me and my family safe on the road, within reason.

Reliable, but has little else going for it.
By johanndc on 11/05/12 11:46 AM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Despite check engine lights, awful squealing from the serpentine belt, and a transmission fluid leak that prompted an emergency repair (shifts smoothly years later), this car has NEVER failed me. That said, there are issues. Constant rattling from interior trim pieces. Serpentine belt squeals despite several repairs. A headlight that is prone to failure. The 2.4 I4 has that wonderful combination of disappointing gas mileage and a deficit in power, and it shakes quite a bit. Handling is somewhere between Buick and BMW. But all in all, if you just need reliable transportation and don't mind getting the heck annoyed out of you, by all means get it. Certainly cheaper than alternatives.

yay i bought a car...
By carchris07 on 08/27/11 21:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Got my Sonota because of consumer reviews saying how much they all loved there car. Not the case with me. Took it off the lot and cerpintene belt immediatley started squiling, something not right with ignition(car hesitates),speakers started ratelling and check engine light came on. Repaired the cerpentine belt twice only for the d*mn thing to start squeling again. Decided to deal with it till driving to work one morning and com sensor went (took hyundai 3 days to figure out). 29 day mark of ownership, had the car taken to the dealership. oh ya, was very comfortable to drive, an only 60,000 miles.

A very well built car
By elster on 06/19/11 11:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my 2004 Sonata 4cyl base model used in 2006 with 24K miles. My car currently has 138K miles and still going. No major work needed. Biggest repair was the cv/boot from all the speed bumps I went over. This cost about $600. Also needed a new engine mount at about 100K miles. I get 25MPG city and 31MPG on long trips. The other drawback is the paint job. Very peeled, but not worth repairing for a 7 year old car. They make good cars.

Reliable Driver
By superlative28 on 05/02/11 08:41 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Sonata V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Got this vehicle from my mother 4 years ago. Has been very reliable with no major repairs required to this point. Comfort of seats is fair and interior design on base model is bland but it gets the job done.

Trouble
By matt on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Fuel pump has failed 3xs sense ownership at 50k. The water pump went out at 100,000 which destroyed the pistons, brand new timing belt and the heads. Now I have a brand new Hyundai (joy). The car looks brand new after having the hubcap and door handles painted. Ride and comfort is fine but overall not impressed

I love this car - it's a keeper!
By Lolo on 09/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Sonata V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I can't say enough about my Sonata. It's dependable, reliable and simply a great looking car. I saw someone driving this car in 2004, walked into my credit union back inquired on this vehicle and said exactly what I wanted and I got it 2 days later. Never test drive this car, first time ever doing that when purchasing a car! Best thing I ever did and have not regrets either. I plan on buying another Hyundai but I do plan to keep my Sonata. It too had a paint chip in the door handles and a radiator replacement but overall it's an outstanding car. I have had this car 6 years now and approximately 190,000 miles. Imagine that! Longest I ever owned a car with that many miles.