Used 2004 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

The best car if you take Care of it
By kaylabandy

2004 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My hyundai belonged to my dad before he gave it to me. He bought it new and it has never had any major issues. Just did regular maintenance. The only thing I don't like is the headlights don't seem To be very bright! But other than that I love the car and it's always been really reliable. Just watch out for the timing belt, because of the interference engine. Don't replace it late. Other than that the car is amazing and has never failed me. Already has 190000 miles on it and runs beautifully.

Suggested Improvements

Brighter lights Timing chain rather than belt.

My Sonata
By jg_cool

2004 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

For sure the head lights have a problem with having to be replaced. I also had to have the steering assembly replaced at over $1000. Now after 14 months it is starting to leak again and makes a buzzing noise due to that. I've never owned a car where I had to replace such a component. Not happy about this at all.

Favorite Features

Get lots of compliments on its looks.

Suggested Improvements

They have addressed the ones I had when I bought the car new.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By collette93

2004 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Sonata with 17,000 miles on it. It now has 204,000 miles and it's still going strong. It has never once left me stranded, and I've only had to do the usual car maintenance: brakes, tires, tune up, etc. I have been meticulous about oil changes every 3,000 miles. The interior is still in great shape, and it continues to be a comfortable ride, still. Truly the best car I've ever owned. My only complaint is that it's not the greatest in terms of gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

The headlights, and to a lesser extent, the rear lights, seem to need frequent replacement.

I've never had a more reliable car
By cbutschek

2004 Hyundai Sonata V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this car for about 6 years now. It has never let me down. Not long after buying it, I rear-ended an old truck that should have, in all honesty, torn things up. The car started right back up and has been running flawlessly ever since. I've never had a bad belt and, unlike my Ford, a broken a/c compressor doesn't affect engine performance. The serpentine belt started squealing a little shortly before the alternator went dead earlier this year, but I suspect a squeaky pulley rather than the belt. There is plenty of power and handles very well. I trust it to keep me and my family safe on the road, within reason.

Favorite Features

The power of the 2.7L V6 is exactly what I wanted in a sedan without really having to sacrifice fuel economy. I can still get around 18-20 MPG driving to work and back daily and 24-27 MPG on cross-country trips.

Reliable, but has little else going for it.
By johanndc

2004 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Despite check engine lights, awful squealing from the serpentine belt, and a transmission fluid leak that prompted an emergency repair (shifts smoothly years later), this car has NEVER failed me. That said, there are issues. Constant rattling from interior trim pieces. Serpentine belt squeals despite several repairs. A headlight that is prone to failure. The 2.4 I4 has that wonderful combination of disappointing gas mileage and a deficit in power, and it shakes quite a bit. Handling is somewhere between Buick and BMW. But all in all, if you just need reliable transportation and don't mind getting the heck annoyed out of you, by all means get it. Certainly cheaper than alternatives.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing that they haven't done already with succeeding generations.