Used 2003 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Expensive to maintain
By Nichols

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Caliber stuck at 9,000 miles whole new break job on rear, then front pads fell apart at 15,000 not covered. front interior handles cut passenger had replaced prior to recall. flush trans fluid expensive due to special fluid. alternator went out at 60 thousand, very expensive to replace, labor cost will kill you. Timing belt goes out around 60 thousand. Be prepared for tune up. Have your check book ready if you by a used 2003, you'll need it for repair cost. Paint flakes off exterior door handles.

Make your car easier to repair, so you don't have to take the engine apart to fix one little part. Make it to last!

Hyundai should honor their repairs
By jamesw71

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it new back in 2004. Stepson crashed it 3 months after I bought it. The dealership is having problems fixing it and honoring my insurance claims. Approximately once a year it won't start. They claimed they fixed it by doing such things as disabling the antitheft system, changing the battery and replacing sensors but I still have the problems. Insurance won't honor the claim anymore saying its a sensor problem even though its the same problem from the crash, the dealership is charging me $500 a year to change the same sensor over and over. Statefarm Insurance and Hyundai are screwing me over on this one. Exterior is coming apart..again, radio problems & door handle problems.

Handles nicely. Interior is nice and comfortable to drive. Good gas mileage. Lot of comments from people asking me how the car is, though I never give them good reviews, maybe if Hyundai would fix the stupid thing. Looks like a Jaguar too bad your mechanics aren't as good!!

Honor the insurance work and fix the original no-start problem, stop charging me $500 a year to fix the same sensor. Setup a national maintenance system to track repairs (helps out your active duty military members who move a lot like me!!!)

Value and Dependability
By msailyork

2003 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new for my wife who uses it to commute 80 miles to work every day. Well, after 7 years and 122K miles I can say this car was a bargain. We've performed all the scheduled maintenance and haven't had any problems. Beware the cost to change the plugs, labor was $234, however I've only had to do it twice. Great little car with all the LX amenities. Liked it so much bought a Hyundai XG-350 for myself.

V6, leather seats, power everything, sun roof. The auto climate control system is a winner too.

The only thing we didn't get were the anti-lock brakes since they were an option. Probably standard now.

Thought It Was Good!
By Tyler James

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I Like The Car. I Like The Features. However its not dependable. changed alternator, cv shafts. Oh. Did i mention the whole engine. ?? Yea. follow maintenance intervals for timing belts. they tend to break and kill your engine. My car is nice. wish it was a little better on fuel, a little more dependable, and it came with more features. Then Again I only have the base. My car is going on 7 years old and it is still a head turner. I will drive it until i graduate college. But I doubt I'd Buy another one. 154,000 miles on body. 7,000 on engine. still going strong. HOPE IT LASTS!! Thanks.

Keyless entry. Power sunroof and window. Security system. Fog lights.

Fuel mileage, power, A system to let you know when to service vehicle...

Love my Sonata
By Lisa

2003 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 03 Sonata brand new in 2003. I have loved the look and performance ever since. It now has over 100K miles on it and it's still going strong. We drive from OK to Galveston, TX yearly without any issues. I would definitely buy another one, when this one gives out, that is.

Great leather interior. Still looks new.

Better quality on inside door handles. Fake silver peels off.