Used 2003 Hyundai Sonata Base Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2003 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Poor Choice
By cody

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

At 10,000 miles calibers stuck had to have all new brakes and drums, then at 14,000 front breaks had to be replaced. Dealer said it was my driving that cause the brakes to crumble. Needed new belts already, gas mileage stinks. Paint came off door handles so they are now White, all four of them. Interior worn, and I am a single person. Would not recommend this car. Now at 48,000 need new breaks again, rear calibers stuck once again, but then it is always my fault. Don't buy a 4 cylinder, you have to turn off heat or air to get on the freeway, and pray when you go up a hill. No matter what a salesman says this model in a 4 is not like a 6. Have driven my daughters Toyota and her 4 has no problem.

Have had many people ask me if I liked my car.

Don't know if they had problems with brakes or they just like to blame the driver. Need to find out why paint came off the door handles, they are plastic.

worth the money
By Hyundia

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this with 14,000 miles. Put a lot of miles in 4 years, about 165,000. Ac compressior went out quickly, leaking oil. Dealer refused to fix because of miles, even though it was under normal ac warranty period. You must change timing belts, all! As scheduled as I done. Faithfully changed oil. Trans started acting up, again I faithfully serviced. I still would buy another one, looking now at 04, getting rid of a 2008, don't like the ride as much as the 03!

auto/stick shift option

fix ac leaks period, also force dealers to fix trans complaints, don't let them say we don't find anything.

Bad car!!
By Roomraider33

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car with 68000 miles on it. The car was nice looking more on the richy side. when we drove it for more the 25 minutes the trany got hot. To back up it felt like you hit someone when you didnt. The paint on the bumpers would come up every time i washed it. Then the air bag light came on if we repair it the cost will be $1000. The spark plugs needed replaced well that bill was $400 because the had to take part of the motor to change them. loved the inside but overall bad bad car!!!!!!!

Seats,sound system,overall look.

Better Trany, and cheaper repair cost.

Love it !
By TylerJames

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Well, I bought my car 2 months ago. I'm 16. It's kinda big for a 16 year old. But I like it b/c it suits me. I like the exterior design and the interior is tan and shows stains. Car takes off slow u must put your foot into it. Other than that I love the gas mileage and the way it looks. My friends also insist we take my car when we go somewhere. So overall I love it. It also looks brand new when its 5 years old.

sunroof, Keyless entry, power windows, manuel/automatic shift, kinda looks like a jag, fog lights & also security system.

make car peppier upon take off. also the paint on the door handles tends to peel. Make security system a little better Also should come with tinted windows.

ok car
By faraway

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We got this car and its very Nice looking. The inside is very Nice. The only thing is the trany needs to be replaced. We are not happy. We talked to some one who has 2001 Hyundai sonata they told us that they had to replace the trany at 12,000 miles and now 68,000 miles later again same problem. Also the airbag light comes on and that will cost about $1000 to fix. If you need the spark plugs replaced it will be about $400 to do it because they have to take part of the motor apart. The tires are different on this car so they are about $160 a each. We have the v6 2.7litter and the oil filter for that style motor doesn't fit you have to get the 4 cylinder. Good looking car.

sound system and sunroof