2003 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Poor Choice
By cody on 03/19/09 01:33 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

At 10,000 miles calibers stuck had to have all new brakes and drums, then at 14,000 front breaks had to be replaced. Dealer said it was my driving that cause the brakes to crumble. Needed new belts already, gas mileage stinks. Paint came off door handles so they are now White, all four of them. Interior worn, and I am a single person. Would not recommend this car. Now at 48,000 need new breaks again, rear calibers stuck once again, but then it is always my fault. Don't buy a 4 cylinder, you have to turn off heat or air to get on the freeway, and pray when you go up a hill. No matter what a salesman says this model in a 4 is not like a 6. Have driven my daughters Toyota and her 4 has no problem.

worth the money
By Hyundia on 01/31/09 18:20 PM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this with 14,000 miles. Put a lot of miles in 4 years, about 165,000. Ac compressior went out quickly, leaking oil. Dealer refused to fix because of miles, even though it was under normal ac warranty period. You must change timing belts, all! As scheduled as I done. Faithfully changed oil. Trans started acting up, again I faithfully serviced. I still would buy another one, looking now at 04, getting rid of a 2008, don't like the ride as much as the 03!

Bad car!!
By Roomraider33 on 01/28/09 18:58 PM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car with 68000 miles on it. The car was nice looking more on the richy side. when we drove it for more the 25 minutes the trany got hot. To back up it felt like you hit someone when you didnt. The paint on the bumpers would come up every time i washed it. Then the air bag light came on if we repair it the cost will be $1000. The spark plugs needed replaced well that bill was $400 because the had to take part of the motor to change them. loved the inside but overall bad bad car!!!!!!!

Love it !
By TylerJames on 09/07/08 17:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Well, I bought my car 2 months ago. I'm 16. It's kinda big for a 16 year old. But I like it b/c it suits me. I like the exterior design and the interior is tan and shows stains. Car takes off slow u must put your foot into it. Other than that I love the gas mileage and the way it looks. My friends also insist we take my car when we go somewhere. So overall I love it. It also looks brand new when its 5 years old.

ok car
By faraway on 08/15/08 11:33 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We got this car and its very Nice looking. The inside is very Nice. The only thing is the trany needs to be replaced. We are not happy. We talked to some one who has 2001 Hyundai sonata they told us that they had to replace the trany at 12,000 miles and now 68,000 miles later again same problem. Also the airbag light comes on and that will cost about $1000 to fix. If you need the spark plugs replaced it will be about $400 to do it because they have to take part of the motor apart. The tires are different on this car so they are about $160 a each. We have the v6 2.7litter and the oil filter for that style motor doesn't fit you have to get the 4 cylinder. Good looking car.

awesome 2.4
By david 2.4 on 06/25/08 11:32 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Hyundai Sonata, I bought it for the gas mileage, and its sporty design it puts you in mind of a Lexus. I live in a mountain region of the country and it pulls the hills as good as the day i bought it. My family purchased a new 08 Chrysler sebring and my sonata out performs it 2 to 1. Only thing is it has a low resale value. I'll buy another hyundai when this one die's. They say they are good for 200,000 miles, i guess I'll wait and see.

Best Investment for lowest dollar
By Jbond on 05/11/08 15:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Minimal cost other than routine maintenance, oil changes, tires, brakes. Gas mileage better than stated on sticker; in fact, at 145,000 miles better than when first purchased. Handles excellant, rides like new after the miles. Best vehicle I have ever purchased. Mistaken for much more expensive vehicles - BMW, Mercedes and jag with the price of a Yugo.... LOL workmanship much better than any vehicle I have driven, including multiple rentals since I drive approx 100,000 per year for work. Have never had to use the warranty other than for a dead battery which was on my behalf.

More and more disappointed :(
By Brittany on 05/07/08 06:58 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

When I bought my car I loved it! I called it my baby Jag. 5 months after I bought it the airbag light came on, the dealership couldn't fix it. After 3 years of ownership, the engine blew because the timing belt broke. No check engine light ever went on. I was 1,000 miles over the warranty limit. It cost me $3500 for a new one. One year after the replacement of the engine the check engine light came on and now I don't want to deal with this car anymore! I thought Hyundais were supposed to be good cars. Apparently not after so many years. :(

Could have been better
By Marion on 09/01/07 18:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Had a 1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo that that the ripe old age of 13 years reliably got me to Texas from Michigan, I love the classy look of this car, but I don't really like the Hyundai dealers that can never find issues that I tell them it has. There is something wrong with the electrical system, the car doesn't unlock at times, all the lights in and out went out one day when I was at the stop light and magically came back on when I pressed the gas pedel, I have had the battery checked all ok, drove the car to a store and had to have it jumped when I came back out?, I don't know if I can trust it. Hyundai is not a big help. To many issues for not being very old. There is more but no room

Sonata Elegance
By Groovy on 08/28/07 15:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent driving experience! The 2003 Hyundai Sonata- super value, super elegance!