2003 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Excellent Car
By blaakhawk on 07/29/14 21:17 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought a 2003 Hyundai Sonata with only 41,000 miles on 1 owner carfax showed no accidents and schedule repairs on this car. It rides like brand new.

This car is tough!!
By maytons on 07/26/14 18:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

At 171k I decided to change my timing belt and filter FOR THE FIRST TIME! Both were in remarkably good shape! Did my first tune up at the same time. Even driving in the mountains and with the electrodes on the spark plugs completely burned off I was still averaging 22.7 MPG. Had a radiator flush at 100k and it still looks and smells fine, as does the oil and tranny fluid. I bought this car new and would definitely buy another!

Wish every car was like this
By bigtex71 on 03/27/14 22:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This week my 2003 will see its 260,000 mile, and I will say goodbye to it after 11 years of loving this thing. I'm a big tall guy and never felt cramped driving this car. In its first few years it had acceleration that rocked. And even today as I drove it to the wash, I am amazed how smooth it runs, with very little maintenance over the years. The few problems I've had were it seems to get misaligned quicker than normal, and last year my AC finally went completely out. But it's the best car I've ever owned

Love this car!!
By ladymelan81 on 01/12/14 12:36 PM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car when it was 2 years old and had 90,000 miles on it. It never failed me in a serious way. I felt I was selling a family member when I let her go, then she was totaled 6 days after I sold her :( She was at 190,000 miles at that point and was showing transmission issues. Liked it so much I'm selling the car I bought, for the same year Sonata again.

Very good value car!
By dcharpentier on 01/12/14 08:44 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 65K miles on it for 3000$ two years ago. It went through rough winters in Quebec and never let me down. It is a simple sedan but seems very reliable. The steering is numb and the automatic transmission lacks responsiveness but it is just a commuter car to go from point A to B. I feel that it's consuming oil but for a vehicle of that age I am not surprised. Note for people in the north, it is prone to rust. Mine is in better shape than average here but it shows weaknesses. I can afford a better car but I don't want to let this one go. It is cheaper that its Japanese competitors of that era but I feel that it gives better bang for the buck.

Great Car
By asetechcarter on 05/03/13 17:00 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I see all these people writing bad reviews on this car because they did not maintain the car! What is wrong with people these days???? Complaining about a timing belt as a repair? Come on people... That is just called maintaning your car!!!!! if you can not afford a tune up on a 4 cyl Hyundai you should not even own a car!!!! These are great cars if you take care of it!! Trust me i am an ASE master tech and work on these cars daily, and not for Hyundai!

A Great Ride
By drecor on 04/21/12 16:07 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2004 with 34,000 miles on it. Since that time it has gone everywhere and through every type of road and hazard imaginable. I have replaced, I don"t know how many tires and about four or five sets of brakes and two timing belts. I've given very little engine care other than two tune-ups and oil changes every so often. The car has stopped on me twice. Once when a timing belt broke (my fault new it was time)and once when a crank sensor failed. It is an Awsome vehicle that is still in good shape. Yesterday it turned 320,000 miles!

The best sedan I have ever owner
By chinatown on 08/09/11 18:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used, with 23,000 miles on it. We took a 1500 mile trip shortly there after. It averaged 28 mpg. I change the oil every 3000 miles along with other routine maintenance. etc. It now has 130,000 miles on it and recently experienced brake chattering. The pads have been changed several times, but never the rotors. Well as it turns out the rotors were as smooth as a baby's a--. Yes, after 130,000 miles, all it needed was pads. Does it show its mileage, but of course. However, if you are considering this model, don't be concerned about advanced miles. This will be the best sedan you will ever buy. Nuff said.

Great car! Lots of Bang for your Bucks
By George on 12/02/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I don't know about some of the previous reviews. I bought this car from the estate of a friend who bought it, then died shortly thereafter. He told me he loved his previous Hyundai and this one also. I was skeptical, but at the time it was just what I needed. This car has been extremely reliable, easy to drive and repair (for what little repairs it needed). Assessing the quality I would say it is not quite as good as a Honda Accord, but better made than a Camry, too bad the resale value isn't that of either of these models. I would definitely buy another Hyundai and I think that the new Sonatas are better than ever!

It's a not so good used car
By bm662 on 10/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used had tune up and timing belt replaced. Still not much better? Had suspension checked 4 times replaced struts for safety. Still has thumping sounds no one can find reason! But told car is safe? The amount of money I paid for plus repairs I could have bought a new one live and learn. Dealer was supposed to be reliable. Not so in this case this vehicle should be called the Hyundai clunker.