Used 2002 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 162 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2002 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Best kept Secret
By Jim

2002 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

This midsize sedan is highly underrated due to the earlier history of Hyundai automobiles. I've owned 2 Chevrolets, 2 Plymouths, 1 Rambler, 1 Dodge, 1 Mustang, 2 Pontiacs, 3 Buicks, 1 VW, and 3 Oldsmobiles. My company cars have included 4 Chevrolets, 2 Fords, and an Oldsmobile. My Hyundai Sonata LX V6 is as good or better than any of the new cars mentioned above, and at a fraction of the price. Sonata has been a well kept secret, but the cat is out of the bag. Like the ad says, "Drive it and you'll buy it!"

Smooth-running engine; good visibilty; safety features; driver-friendly interior; favorably deceptive interior space; roomy trunk; outstanding interior instrument lighting; and "sport car" handling quality.

Add a sliding sun-glare shield between rearview mirror and sun visors.

Better than expected
By Cheeshead

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Bought car with 57K & 16mos later have 84K. Great car. Smoother ride than our Windstar. In fact wife will take the Sonata over the Windstar often. Two dealers in my area wonderful. Even matched price of local garage to keep my business. Only major problem was a missfiring cylinder. After paying $400+ to get spark plugs, engine flush etc done, went back in a week and they had to replace the oxygen sensor. Other than that, it does pull to the left and after alignment steering wheel shakes. also, water in the taillamp...$220+ to fix/replace. Those probs aside, it really has been a great car. Would totally buy another one. 1800+ miles/month got me 25mpg. City has been 22mpg.

Stereo, moon roof, comfort, ride, handling, fog lights, Jaguar looks, rear cupholders for the kids. White paint with Chrome turns heads and gets comments like, "That's a Hyundai?"

Wish the V6 GLS had a REAL Manual Transmission. The 4-spd ShifTronic just doesn't do it for me... The cupholders in the front are not good when your passenger wants to use it too...

My first brand new Vehicle
By Ron in PA

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this vehicle for 3 years and have been very pleased with most aspects of the vehicle. I love the design the ride is noce handling is good, service has been good. Gas mileage although not what expected is not bad for a car of this size. I boughtr the car for price and warranty length and so far have been happy most of the time. Areas that have been problems, Paint is not holding up, chips easily from road dirt, seating areas are not wearing well, they show signs of use easily. Not happy at all about only being able to purchase certain parts from Hyundai such as a Battery, brake pads, air filter. Would buy another Hyundai from the exp, with this vehicle Love the car.

Styling, Warranty, standard features.

Paint Quality, Seating quality and a little more back leg oom would have been nice.

poor man's jaguar
By lartross

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

We bought this car for the wife to tool around in. We use it for all family outings and shopping. It is comfortable around town, quite peppy and delivers acceptable economy [around 27 mpg].The interior is beautiful and easy to keep up. The stereo system is very good. The seats are a little too firm on long rides [8 hours or more] It has been an excellent car for the 20,000 miles we've had it with no problems.

The drivers cockpit is beautifully laid out with lots of wood grain appearing stuff.

Install more padding in the seats to soften them up a little.

My Sonata
By Ashley Spiriti

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I bought our Sonata wanting to trade up from our Cavalier since we were expecting a baby. We haven't had too many problems but it seems when we do, they are VERY expensive to fix and never covered under the warranty. We've been steadily replacing rotors since we bought the things (which can only be bought at the dealership, go figure). I love the exterior!! No major failures as of yet but lots of recalls. The interior has had a lot of little probs. The arm rest on the driver's door ripped with just my husband's elbow resting on it. The silver chips off the inner door handles and leaves razor-sharp edges. WATCH OUT!! We had to sand them. Overall, it's a good car.

Exterior look! The interior is easy to clean up (my 3 year old lost a battle to blueberries the other day). The CD player and radio are very easy to work.

I hate the cruise control activiation button! Also, there's very little room between the back and front seats when there's a carseat back there. He's only 3 and there's barely room for his legs. Interior parts are a little cheap.