2002 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
My Sonata
By Yorgos on 08/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Thia car is great almost 2 years and still lovin it. I would definitely buy another!

Smooooth and Quiet
By MAX C's review on 08/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

This is the smoothest and quietest car that I have ever had. The interior is very easy to use and very rommy and comfortable. the a/c is good and you almost never feel bumps. overall better than any toyota for the price range. And engine has enough power for a family.

Great Buy
By deca75 on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle handles well quite and very fun to drive.

GREAT VALUE
By LISA on 07/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I couldn't pass up the deal on the Sonata LX! I still get comments on it's handsome exterior and leather/wood interior. A few months after buying the car, I had problems with it acting like it wanted to go dead. The dealership found a loose wire and fixed it with no problem. This is my first V6; it's a lot of fun and useful in quick passing.

Not so satisfied customer
By Nevets on 07/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had two problems already with my Sonata. The first was the engine seized upon acceleration as I was leaving work. They claimed it was due to engine cylinders breaking up - they found some parts in the oil pan. Now I have a problem with the computer it seems. The engine won't cruise with or without cruise control - the RPMs go up and down, acceleration is shotty on automatic (little better when I use the shift-tronic).

Great car for the $
By curtinator on 06/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I have had only minor problems with the vehicle. Power antenna sticks. Cd Player problems. Once I approached 30,000 miles, engine squeks.The transmission has a had time finding the right gear.

Best car for the money
By quint26 on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Sonota for only six months and I seem to like it better every day. I drive 92 miles to work and it has been a very comfortable road car, very quiet, and good ride.

You will love this car
By ManofSteel on 05/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

We first test drove, and almost bought a Nissan Altima, before we bought are Sonata. We found the Sonata to be more comfortable, more stylish, and a much better value. Our white Sonata, with optional moonroof, turns heads everywhere we go. We have literally came out of stores and found people peeking in our windows, checking out our car. The Sonanta is very fun to drive and takes turns like a sports car. The only downside is that the V6 lacks the horsepower of the Altima, Accord, and Camry. However the V6 far from dissapoints with great acceleration of the start.

17 MPG
By Bloo Gecko on 04/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I was looking for a car to get better mileage than my Volvo, which got 19 mpg. Then I was seduced by the beautiful looks of the Sonata. I found one in desert sand, and all rational thought went out the window. The 2003 V6 Sonatss are rated 19 mpg in town. But mine gets 17 mpg! This is inexcusable. Why can't Hyundai make a pretty car that also gets respectable mileage? This should be a top priority for them.

Having Doubts
By Dano on 04/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

We really like this car, have enjoyed driving it, so far it has been a good value esp. for the $$. Just crested 20K mi and starting to develop several concerning problems; auto trans slips when down shifting into 1st or 2nd gear, difficuty keeping car aligned going through tires, left front headlight working intermitantly, check engine light just came on... Taking it to dealer in a few days, hoping the warranty and service will be as good as the car looks and drives. The proof has always been wether these cars would hold up, we shall see...