Used 2002 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 162 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

great commuter car
By ajacques

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

A little too wide for a city car, and slightly sluggish on acceleration (it is not meant to be a muscle car, though). Otherwise, a great commuter/travel/hwy car. Never had any real problems, very dependable.

Spacious interior, smooth ride

Rear window is a bit small, and turning radius slightly narrow.

Love my car
By petvetmom1

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I researched quite thoroughly before buying my Sonata 2002 used in July '06. Reliability and Safety scores made the difference for me. Since I've bought it I couldn't be happier. The car is beautiful; have gotten comments from friends and strangers about its looks--"looks like a Jag". Besides that I love the car; it looks great, ride is smooth and powerful, very quiet. The interior is comfortable, spacious and beautifully appointed, the stereo system sounds great. This is probably the nicest car I've owned even though it is 5 years old, and I've owned an a new Accord, a Celica and a Mazda 626. First used car I buy and best buy I ever made.

The exterior styling; the interior layout; very spacious and comfortable; this car turns heads!!

Adding a direct connection for an IPod to the stereo system; fixing the front cupholders so that you can fit 2 cups comfortably.

spunky's review
By Spunky

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I was extremely pleased with the performance of this vehicle. I just traded it in on a 2007 model. This car was quite possibly one of the best cars I've ever driven.

Hyundai has outdone Japan
By Chris Carroll

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this used (1 yr old) from dealer (pgm car) with 11K miles. My wife and I have put 35K on is since, and this car has not needed to see the dealer since, with the exception of 1 recall. Other than regular maintenance, this car has needed nothing, and still looks and runs like new. The car has depreciated less than $3,000 in the 3 years we've owned it, and now I'm shopping for one for my son. If you want a good, stylish, reliable and economic car, the Sonata should be your first choice.

Body styling, reliability, fit & finish, great gas mileage.

Cruise control activation should be on the steering wheel, and that's about the ONLY recommendation I can think of!

Nothing but problems
By Laurie

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Love the style, price, etc.But...I've had nothing but problems- only had car for 6 wks. rotors had to be replaced- warped,$400+, multiple belt problems, vibration in steering wheel, interior handles cheaply made - caused cuts on hands, brakes not covered under warranty- pulley problem was causing belts to be replaced every 2 weeks.Took back to dealership 5 times within less than 5 months for high pitched noises in front end.The pulley was chewing the belts up.Problems with engine cutting out.Carfax check prior to purchase showed car was clean.I'm reporting this under lemon law and trying to get another car, but because of amount owed will have negative equity in car. Very disappointed!

Style of body.

Brake and pulley issues, along with inside handles should be considered recalls and covered under warranty- especially the warping of the brakes.