Used 2002 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

my 2002 sonata experience
By rashaun

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned the car for 5 years. First let me tell you for the first 60,000 miles zero problems as long as a kept up the maint. After tho power steering pressure hose burst 560.00, ignition crank sensor failed 600.00. During this time many interior and exterior pieces started coming loose and generally looking bad. struts now bad too. 75,000 miles the timing belt fails and destroys the engine to the point where it needs a rebuild. Id ditch the car after 60k, its resale value is so low its not worth the repairs. now have a year old toyota and a six thousand dollar paper weight.

warrenty even tho after 60 thousand miles youre on youre on for most stuff. good styling, interior boring but alot of options for the money pretty good value in the short term

Better interior styling, why make a car with a timing belt that could destory the engine, hondas and toyotas dont have this problem with thier timing belts.

I Love My Car
By Stevie

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I love my car. I have had things go wrong with it: replacing four window regulators, one speed input sensor, one speed output sensor, one oxygen sensor, but other than that, this car has been great in the near six years I have owned it. I love it more than the Plymouth I had before (for 14 years). It has such a comfortable interior that I can drive it for long periods of time and not get tired or sore. When I first got it in 2001, it was a big head turner and people would come up to me and go, "That's a Hyundai?!" They thought it was a Jaquar, BMW or a Mercedes. Mine is black with black/gray interior and it looks sophisticated. Still looks like new because I take good care of it.

I love everything about it.

2 Litre Sonata CDX Auto. (UK Spec).
By Charlie

2002 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Well, what can I tell you?.......I thought long and hard before buying my Sonata, but what a good choice it was! Only things to go wrong in three years of ownership was a sensor broke down inthe engine, (easy fix warranty), and a sidelght bulb blew, 5 minute job to put right I love driving this car, and occasionally, when I am in hurry up mode, I use the "tiptronic" gear change, I have to say that this isn't very often, as I mostly prefer to drive at a more relaxed pace and let the auto do it's stuff, which it does with super smooth aplomb! So far I have 42000 on the clock, which is low mileage for the year. Great car, highly recommend!

Love the retro styling of this model, to my eyes looks far more attractive than the newer models, love the interior, the seats are superbly comfortable, and the leg room, both front and rear is great. I tow my sail boat with this car, and have had no problems at all.

Don't quite know what to say here, I mean, how do you improve on perfection??? (grin).........Well, OK, I guess we would all like to use less fuel, but to be honest, for a vehicle of it's size and HP, I don't think that the fuel economy is all that bad. Generally, I am very pleasedwith my car.

great commuter car
By ajacques

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

A little too wide for a city car, and slightly sluggish on acceleration (it is not meant to be a muscle car, though). Otherwise, a great commuter/travel/hwy car. Never had any real problems, very dependable.

Spacious interior, smooth ride

Rear window is a bit small, and turning radius slightly narrow.

Love my car
By petvetmom1

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I researched quite thoroughly before buying my Sonata 2002 used in July '06. Reliability and Safety scores made the difference for me. Since I've bought it I couldn't be happier. The car is beautiful; have gotten comments from friends and strangers about its looks--"looks like a Jag". Besides that I love the car; it looks great, ride is smooth and powerful, very quiet. The interior is comfortable, spacious and beautifully appointed, the stereo system sounds great. This is probably the nicest car I've owned even though it is 5 years old, and I've owned an a new Accord, a Celica and a Mazda 626. First used car I buy and best buy I ever made.

The exterior styling; the interior layout; very spacious and comfortable; this car turns heads!!

Adding a direct connection for an IPod to the stereo system; fixing the front cupholders so that you can fit 2 cups comfortably.