2002 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Don't buy this car
By Caroline on 08/23/08 10:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I would not recommend this car to anyone. It caused me nothing but problems and was a black hole to my bank account. Every time something was fixed, something else broke or needed repairs. I will never buy another Korean vehicle again because of the cheap quality of this car. I should have known better.

Rate My Ride
By Louise A. Carasone on 08/05/08 14:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving my Sonata for 6 years and have little or no trouble with it. I have been keeping up the maintenance schedule and only taking it to the dealer for my service work. I now have approximately 58,000 miles on my car and the timing chain went and am now faced with rebuilding the engine, at a cost of $1,500.00, Hyundai is going to pick up the rest as a good faith gesture. I would not suggest that you keep this car past 50,000 miles. They say in the warranty 10 years or 100,000 miles. I'm not sure this car is designed to last that long. Really Bummed in Connecticut.

Worth every dime. Best value.
By Dennis on 07/29/08 09:42 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Paid $17,500 for it while competition was going for 19 to 22,000. Bang for the buck could not be beat. Very, very good car.

Warranty not what they claim
By Jeann on 04/18/08 13:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I absolutely loved my car. A few minor flaws, such as the interior handles needing to be replaced several times, and the armrest wasn't the most comfortable. Other than that a fantastic car. However, I now have 30,550 miles on my car and the fuel door doesn't open. (Not covered under the extend warranty that I purchased for an additional $1265.)Now the car is also due for 30,000. mi maintenance - $400., and drive belt (required) $600. Yet the car is only worth $4500-$5000. You do the math. I won't buy another!!

Affraid to get a different car
By Robert on 04/18/08 08:24 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

The 2002 Sonata was the first new car I ever bought. I've been driving it now for close to 7 years and put 137,000 miles on it. At 100,000 my brakes begin to wear out. This is the only time I've had to take it in for major work, but new brakes at 100,000 miles is normal. My Sonata drives today at 137,000 as well as it did when I drove it off the lot with 12 miles on it. I believe that in order to get any car as good as the Sonata, I will have to either get another Sonata or a BMW, Mercedes, or Audi to get the same quality that I've gotten from the 2002 Sonata. It has been nothing less than superior in all areas of performance and reliability. I Will have a very hard time replacing it.

my 2002 sonata experience
By rashaun on 10/18/07 21:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned the car for 5 years. First let me tell you for the first 60,000 miles zero problems as long as a kept up the maint. After tho power steering pressure hose burst 560.00, ignition crank sensor failed 600.00. During this time many interior and exterior pieces started coming loose and generally looking bad. struts now bad too. 75,000 miles the timing belt fails and destroys the engine to the point where it needs a rebuild. Id ditch the car after 60k, its resale value is so low its not worth the repairs. now have a year old toyota and a six thousand dollar paper weight.

I Love My Car
By Stevie on 10/18/07 15:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I love my car. I have had things go wrong with it: replacing four window regulators, one speed input sensor, one speed output sensor, one oxygen sensor, but other than that, this car has been great in the near six years I have owned it. I love it more than the Plymouth I had before (for 14 years). It has such a comfortable interior that I can drive it for long periods of time and not get tired or sore. When I first got it in 2001, it was a big head turner and people would come up to me and go, "That's a Hyundai?!" They thought it was a Jaquar, BMW or a Mercedes. Mine is black with black/gray interior and it looks sophisticated. Still looks like new because I take good care of it.

2 Litre Sonata CDX Auto. (UK Spec).
By Charlie on 08/19/07 10:01 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Well, what can I tell you?.......I thought long and hard before buying my Sonata, but what a good choice it was! Only things to go wrong in three years of ownership was a sensor broke down inthe engine, (easy fix warranty), and a sidelght bulb blew, 5 minute job to put right I love driving this car, and occasionally, when I am in hurry up mode, I use the "tiptronic" gear change, I have to say that this isn't very often, as I mostly prefer to drive at a more relaxed pace and let the auto do it's stuff, which it does with super smooth aplomb! So far I have 42000 on the clock, which is low mileage for the year. Great car, highly recommend!

great commuter car
By ajacques on 04/02/07 21:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

A little too wide for a city car, and slightly sluggish on acceleration (it is not meant to be a muscle car, though). Otherwise, a great commuter/travel/hwy car. Never had any real problems, very dependable.

Love my car
By petvetmom1 on 11/24/06 23:00 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I researched quite thoroughly before buying my Sonata 2002 used in July '06. Reliability and Safety scores made the difference for me. Since I've bought it I couldn't be happier. The car is beautiful; have gotten comments from friends and strangers about its looks--"looks like a Jag". Besides that I love the car; it looks great, ride is smooth and powerful, very quiet. The interior is comfortable, spacious and beautifully appointed, the stereo system sounds great. This is probably the nicest car I've owned even though it is 5 years old, and I've owned an a new Accord, a Celica and a Mazda 626. First used car I buy and best buy I ever made.