Used 2002 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2002 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Solid Transportation But
By BigJim

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I now have 94K miles and the car has provided 100% reliable transportation. Most reliable car I've ever owned. BUT - the electric antenna never worked right from day one, the clock goes on and off and I can't turn the radio off. It keeps coming on at random times. Love the car, it drives wonderfully, very comfortable, no repairs except oil and tires. Good mileage. Still looks shiny and new. The Rick Case purchasing experience was horrible (very manipulative) and their service dept isn't any better. They charged me $460 to do back breaks but only did one and charged me for both. Found a work light hanging from my car when I got home! I'll buy another Sonata soon but not from them.

Favorite Features

Incredible reliability, quiet operation, surprising mileage, my GLS is loaded with expensive options I didn't have to pay extra for.

Suggested Improvements

The radio doesn't sound all that great and the antenna system doesn't work. Need another brand of radio with better sound. Oh yes, the AM radio reception is TERRIBLE. Can't listen to the ball games! The signal fades in and out and I live in the city. Great car - crappy radio!

Hasn't cost me a cent in repairs
By Pearl

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned this car for 8 years and other than oil changes and brakes, it hasn't cost me a cent. There was only one minor steering problem a few years ago, which was covered under warranty. It still rides like new. I would keep this car forever, but I'm ready to try out a Hyundai Santa Fe. Hands down, best car I've ever owned, and I've owned quite a few over the years.

Favorite Features

No mechanical problems in 8 years!

Best car owned
By Marcus

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have over 140,000 miles on my car and so far I've only replaced minor parts due to wear and tear. Its very reliable and easy to repair for the do-it-themselves type. Parts are cheap and durable. I expect to at least drive another 100,000 before considering another car.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower

Super car !
By airjordan707

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Sonata was my first car. I have driven many cars as rentals or those that belong to friends, including Ford mustang, oldsmobile alero, chrysler sebring, dodge neon, ford taurus and toyota avalon. I think Sonata beats all these other cars hands down. The audio for a 2002 model is quite good, the looks (i think!) are extraordinary, the drive is smooth as butter. After more than 100,000 miles of driving I can say that its been quite reliable. I haven't used the 100,000 mile road-side assistance at all except once when my old batteries ran out while it was sitting in my driveway. Its time to buy my second car and Sonata 2010 is one of my first choices for the test-drive. Great job,Hyunda!

Favorite Features

Smooth drive, cheapest V6 in its class, great audio, great reliability, great everything except some small suggested improvements

Suggested Improvements

The paint does peel off from the most frequently touched spots like handles etc.

New Transmission at 87,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By unhappysonataowner

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

This is the first Hyundai I have owned. It is an '02 w/87,000 miles. It needs a entire new transmission, which the dealer said would cost $2800. I have owned Ford, Chrysler and Jeep vehicle and never had a problem of this magnitude. The ford even has 223,00o miles. When I took it to the dealer the first time the check engine light came on AutoZOne told me it was a Shift Control Solenoid code.

Suggested Improvements

It is advertised as 10 yrs/100,000 miles powertrain warranty. What they don't advertise is it is only for the original owner. WHAT?????????? Be careful when buying based on warranty. Look at the fine print.