2002 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Solid Transportation But
By BigJim on 05/14/10 23:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I now have 94K miles and the car has provided 100% reliable transportation. Most reliable car I've ever owned. BUT - the electric antenna never worked right from day one, the clock goes on and off and I can't turn the radio off. It keeps coming on at random times. Love the car, it drives wonderfully, very comfortable, no repairs except oil and tires. Good mileage. Still looks shiny and new. The Rick Case purchasing experience was horrible (very manipulative) and their service dept isn't any better. They charged me $460 to do back breaks but only did one and charged me for both. Found a work light hanging from my car when I got home! I'll buy another Sonata soon but not from them.

Hasn't cost me a cent in repairs
By Pearl on 05/13/10 21:58 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned this car for 8 years and other than oil changes and brakes, it hasn't cost me a cent. There was only one minor steering problem a few years ago, which was covered under warranty. It still rides like new. I would keep this car forever, but I'm ready to try out a Hyundai Santa Fe. Hands down, best car I've ever owned, and I've owned quite a few over the years.

Best car owned
By Marcus on 03/09/10 13:46 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have over 140,000 miles on my car and so far I've only replaced minor parts due to wear and tear. Its very reliable and easy to repair for the do-it-themselves type. Parts are cheap and durable. I expect to at least drive another 100,000 before considering another car.

Super car !
By airjordan707 on 12/19/09 19:55 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Sonata was my first car. I have driven many cars as rentals or those that belong to friends, including Ford mustang, oldsmobile alero, chrysler sebring, dodge neon, ford taurus and toyota avalon. I think Sonata beats all these other cars hands down. The audio for a 2002 model is quite good, the looks (i think!) are extraordinary, the drive is smooth as butter. After more than 100,000 miles of driving I can say that its been quite reliable. I haven't used the 100,000 mile road-side assistance at all except once when my old batteries ran out while it was sitting in my driveway. Its time to buy my second car and Sonata 2010 is one of my first choices for the test-drive. Great job,Hyunda!

New Transmission at 87,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By unhappysonataowner on 09/04/09 10:18 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

This is the first Hyundai I have owned. It is an '02 w/87,000 miles. It needs a entire new transmission, which the dealer said would cost $2800. I have owned Ford, Chrysler and Jeep vehicle and never had a problem of this magnitude. The ford even has 223,00o miles. When I took it to the dealer the first time the check engine light came on AutoZOne told me it was a Shift Control Solenoid code.

Good Vehicle
By lawman910 on 04/10/09 20:05 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I have been driving the car for 7 years and have almost 70K. So far no major problems, brakes and tires, kept up with the Maintenance schedule. Little things like the clock has been replaced and still does not work right, drivers side wiper keeps coming loose and have to carry wrench to tighten. Had to replace the antenna would not work in freezing temps. The car has lots of power and can keep with the best of them. I average about 20 around town and to be honest never checked it on a trip. I would buy another hyundai without any hesitation, but now looking at at Acura, want to upgrade a little. Seats and interior all has held up well

My first car in this country
By Adi on 02/18/09 13:44 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car from a dealer when the Odometer reading was about 72K. Since then I have driven less than 3K. Like the car's style and pickup on the signals. It leaves almost every car in the rear view! I have tried that with cars like Lexus, BMW, Toyota and Honda and my Sonata picks up faster than all of them! The maintenance is costly for this car and I have changed the Alternator (about $500), Power Steering Pressure Hose (about $450) and general maintenance. The car's engine gives some noise which a mechanic couldn't figure out why. I need to take that to dealership (again $$$). Also the Air bag signal has turned Red which only dealer can see ($$$). So expensive drive for 3K travel.

Great Car
By Jay J on 09/28/08 19:04 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car off the showroom floor and it has been the most reliable car that I have owned. I have owned a Chevrolet, an Oldsmobile, a Ford, and a Mitsubushi. The only I have done on my Sonata is oil changes, a new set of brakes and two sets of tires. I have 125,000 miles now on my car and I plan on buying a new Sonata in the near future. The only issues I have had is a "phantom" stereo. The CD player died at 100,000 and I cannot turn the radio off. There has been little paint peeling on the roof.

Great car. I would buy another one
By Milwaukee, Wi on 09/17/08 08:52 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought car with 11,000. We have 98,000 miles and only minor repairs. Runs great and gets great mpg. Rides great, shifts smooth. Not a lot of horsepower ( 4 cylinder , 140 hp) but I love the idea of 30 mpg in a mid-size car. I will run this on into the ground. No reason to sell it.

Cheap Parts!
By Shirlene on 09/15/08 18:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the car because we loved the styling and we liked the fuel economy. And while I still like both, I have been faced with costly services ever since! Most annoying is that my drivers side power window keeps malfunctioning. I soon will have replaced it twice in 1 year and 1 month! Also, I had always been pleased with the "ride" of this car locally. However, when my daughter moved to a location 7 hours away and I started driving that distance, I found it almost unbearable. I'm not alone, everyone who has ridden with me at that distance is in pain. We cannot ride without pillows to prevent numbness! And that is true for people ranging in age from 35 to 70. Cute, not great!