Used 2002 Hyundai Sonata LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Affraid to get a different car
By Robert

2002 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

The 2002 Sonata was the first new car I ever bought. I've been driving it now for close to 7 years and put 137,000 miles on it. At 100,000 my brakes begin to wear out. This is the only time I've had to take it in for major work, but new brakes at 100,000 miles is normal. My Sonata drives today at 137,000 as well as it did when I drove it off the lot with 12 miles on it. I believe that in order to get any car as good as the Sonata, I will have to either get another Sonata or a BMW, Mercedes, or Audi to get the same quality that I've gotten from the 2002 Sonata. It has been nothing less than superior in all areas of performance and reliability. I Will have a very hard time replacing it.

Body, engine, interior, trunk space, reliability, smooth driving, acceleration, sound system, shifttronics gear system...the list goes on and on.

none

2 Litre Sonata CDX Auto. (UK Spec).
By Charlie

2002 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Well, what can I tell you?.......I thought long and hard before buying my Sonata, but what a good choice it was! Only things to go wrong in three years of ownership was a sensor broke down inthe engine, (easy fix warranty), and a sidelght bulb blew, 5 minute job to put right I love driving this car, and occasionally, when I am in hurry up mode, I use the "tiptronic" gear change, I have to say that this isn't very often, as I mostly prefer to drive at a more relaxed pace and let the auto do it's stuff, which it does with super smooth aplomb! So far I have 42000 on the clock, which is low mileage for the year. Great car, highly recommend!

Love the retro styling of this model, to my eyes looks far more attractive than the newer models, love the interior, the seats are superbly comfortable, and the leg room, both front and rear is great. I tow my sail boat with this car, and have had no problems at all.

Don't quite know what to say here, I mean, how do you improve on perfection??? (grin).........Well, OK, I guess we would all like to use less fuel, but to be honest, for a vehicle of it's size and HP, I don't think that the fuel economy is all that bad. Generally, I am very pleasedwith my car.

Best kept Secret
By Jim

2002 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

This midsize sedan is highly underrated due to the earlier history of Hyundai automobiles. I've owned 2 Chevrolets, 2 Plymouths, 1 Rambler, 1 Dodge, 1 Mustang, 2 Pontiacs, 3 Buicks, 1 VW, and 3 Oldsmobiles. My company cars have included 4 Chevrolets, 2 Fords, and an Oldsmobile. My Hyundai Sonata LX V6 is as good or better than any of the new cars mentioned above, and at a fraction of the price. Sonata has been a well kept secret, but the cat is out of the bag. Like the ad says, "Drive it and you'll buy it!"

Smooth-running engine; good visibilty; safety features; driver-friendly interior; favorably deceptive interior space; roomy trunk; outstanding interior instrument lighting; and "sport car" handling quality.

Add a sliding sun-glare shield between rearview mirror and sun visors.

I'll never have ANYTHING ELSE!
By Casey

2002 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002 Sonata Lx in Sept. of 2002, we have put almost 70K on the car in less then 2 and a half years, we just go everywhere in it! We drive 100 miles a day to work round trip, and love the ride home at the end of each day. And with the 2006 comming to the dealer, You can bet I'll be the first in line to "move up" to the sleek new body.

This would have to be the comfort and easy controls, the a/c and cd player are VERY easy to use.

There is only ONE thing that drives me crazy with my 02, having to push the cruise button on the lower left side of the dash, come on guys, put it on the wheel where everyone else that builds cars do!

I couldn't ask for more!
By PRD

2002 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

We love our Sonata. We've owned it now for about a year and a half and have had no real problems with it. It's more comfortable on long trips than any of the cars we've rented in the past(Pontiac, Toyota, Oldsmobile...) Great looking exterior, excellent warranty, very affordable when compared to other similar models of other makes.

Sliding sunroof, smooth ride, effective heating and air conditioning, non-obnoxious alarm...

cup holder sometimes does not close, needs a little more horse-power