Used 2002 Hyundai Sonata Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

My first car in this country
By Adi

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car from a dealer when the Odometer reading was about 72K. Since then I have driven less than 3K. Like the car's style and pickup on the signals. It leaves almost every car in the rear view! I have tried that with cars like Lexus, BMW, Toyota and Honda and my Sonata picks up faster than all of them! The maintenance is costly for this car and I have changed the Alternator (about $500), Power Steering Pressure Hose (about $450) and general maintenance. The car's engine gives some noise which a mechanic couldn't figure out why. I need to take that to dealership (again $$$). Also the Air bag signal has turned Red which only dealer can see ($$$). So expensive drive for 3K travel.

Pickup, Looks, Sound system (yes it's great!)

Parts should be more reliable. More fuel economy. Less noisy engine compartment.

Great car. I would buy another one
By Milwaukee, Wi

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought car with 11,000. We have 98,000 miles and only minor repairs. Runs great and gets great mpg. Rides great, shifts smooth. Not a lot of horsepower ( 4 cylinder , 140 hp) but I love the idea of 30 mpg in a mid-size car. I will run this on into the ground. No reason to sell it.

Sunroof

Cheap Parts!
By Shirlene

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the car because we loved the styling and we liked the fuel economy. And while I still like both, I have been faced with costly services ever since! Most annoying is that my drivers side power window keeps malfunctioning. I soon will have replaced it twice in 1 year and 1 month! Also, I had always been pleased with the "ride" of this car locally. However, when my daughter moved to a location 7 hours away and I started driving that distance, I found it almost unbearable. I'm not alone, everyone who has ridden with me at that distance is in pain. We cannot ride without pillows to prevent numbness! And that is true for people ranging in age from 35 to 70. Cute, not great!

Styling.

Make the parts more reliable - door handles and window mechanisms. Also, I have had a problem with the radio switching to the cd player mode randomly. I assume this is an electrical issue that needs to be addressed.

Don't buy this car
By Caroline

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I would not recommend this car to anyone. It caused me nothing but problems and was a black hole to my bank account. Every time something was fixed, something else broke or needed repairs. I will never buy another Korean vehicle again because of the cheap quality of this car. I should have known better.

none

Stop trying to sell a cheap car for a cheap price because you get exactly what you pay for. Make a reliable car.

Rate My Ride
By Louise A. Carasone

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving my Sonata for 6 years and have little or no trouble with it. I have been keeping up the maintenance schedule and only taking it to the dealer for my service work. I now have approximately 58,000 miles on my car and the timing chain went and am now faced with rebuilding the engine, at a cost of $1,500.00, Hyundai is going to pick up the rest as a good faith gesture. I would not suggest that you keep this car past 50,000 miles. They say in the warranty 10 years or 100,000 miles. I'm not sure this car is designed to last that long. Really Bummed in Connecticut.

Like the way it looks. Looks like a more expensive Jaguar.

Possibly, a timing chain that would not destroy the engine if it goes.