2002 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
My first car in this country
By Adi on 02/18/09 13:44 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car from a dealer when the Odometer reading was about 72K. Since then I have driven less than 3K. Like the car's style and pickup on the signals. It leaves almost every car in the rear view! I have tried that with cars like Lexus, BMW, Toyota and Honda and my Sonata picks up faster than all of them! The maintenance is costly for this car and I have changed the Alternator (about $500), Power Steering Pressure Hose (about $450) and general maintenance. The car's engine gives some noise which a mechanic couldn't figure out why. I need to take that to dealership (again $$$). Also the Air bag signal has turned Red which only dealer can see ($$$). So expensive drive for 3K travel.

Great car. I would buy another one
By Milwaukee, Wi on 09/17/08 08:52 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought car with 11,000. We have 98,000 miles and only minor repairs. Runs great and gets great mpg. Rides great, shifts smooth. Not a lot of horsepower ( 4 cylinder , 140 hp) but I love the idea of 30 mpg in a mid-size car. I will run this on into the ground. No reason to sell it.

Cheap Parts!
By Shirlene on 09/15/08 18:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the car because we loved the styling and we liked the fuel economy. And while I still like both, I have been faced with costly services ever since! Most annoying is that my drivers side power window keeps malfunctioning. I soon will have replaced it twice in 1 year and 1 month! Also, I had always been pleased with the "ride" of this car locally. However, when my daughter moved to a location 7 hours away and I started driving that distance, I found it almost unbearable. I'm not alone, everyone who has ridden with me at that distance is in pain. We cannot ride without pillows to prevent numbness! And that is true for people ranging in age from 35 to 70. Cute, not great!

Don't buy this car
By Caroline on 08/23/08 10:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I would not recommend this car to anyone. It caused me nothing but problems and was a black hole to my bank account. Every time something was fixed, something else broke or needed repairs. I will never buy another Korean vehicle again because of the cheap quality of this car. I should have known better.

Rate My Ride
By Louise A. Carasone on 08/05/08 14:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving my Sonata for 6 years and have little or no trouble with it. I have been keeping up the maintenance schedule and only taking it to the dealer for my service work. I now have approximately 58,000 miles on my car and the timing chain went and am now faced with rebuilding the engine, at a cost of $1,500.00, Hyundai is going to pick up the rest as a good faith gesture. I would not suggest that you keep this car past 50,000 miles. They say in the warranty 10 years or 100,000 miles. I'm not sure this car is designed to last that long. Really Bummed in Connecticut.

great commuter car
By ajacques on 04/02/07 21:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

A little too wide for a city car, and slightly sluggish on acceleration (it is not meant to be a muscle car, though). Otherwise, a great commuter/travel/hwy car. Never had any real problems, very dependable.

Hyundai has outdone Japan
By Chris Carroll on 02/18/06 09:03 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this used (1 yr old) from dealer (pgm car) with 11K miles. My wife and I have put 35K on is since, and this car has not needed to see the dealer since, with the exception of 1 recall. Other than regular maintenance, this car has needed nothing, and still looks and runs like new. The car has depreciated less than $3,000 in the 3 years we've owned it, and now I'm shopping for one for my son. If you want a good, stylish, reliable and economic car, the Sonata should be your first choice.

Nothing but problems
By Laurie on 01/25/06 19:14 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Love the style, price, etc.But...I've had nothing but problems- only had car for 6 wks. rotors had to be replaced- warped,$400+, multiple belt problems, vibration in steering wheel, interior handles cheaply made - caused cuts on hands, brakes not covered under warranty- pulley problem was causing belts to be replaced every 2 weeks.Took back to dealership 5 times within less than 5 months for high pitched noises in front end.The pulley was chewing the belts up.Problems with engine cutting out.Carfax check prior to purchase showed car was clean.I'm reporting this under lemon law and trying to get another car, but because of amount owed will have negative equity in car. Very disappointed!

My first brand new Vehicle
By Ron in PA on 11/12/05 11:56 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this vehicle for 3 years and have been very pleased with most aspects of the vehicle. I love the design the ride is noce handling is good, service has been good. Gas mileage although not what expected is not bad for a car of this size. I boughtr the car for price and warranty length and so far have been happy most of the time. Areas that have been problems, Paint is not holding up, chips easily from road dirt, seating areas are not wearing well, they show signs of use easily. Not happy at all about only being able to purchase certain parts from Hyundai such as a Battery, brake pads, air filter. Would buy another Hyundai from the exp, with this vehicle Love the car.

My Sonata
By Ashley Spiriti on 07/28/05 23:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I bought our Sonata wanting to trade up from our Cavalier since we were expecting a baby. We haven't had too many problems but it seems when we do, they are VERY expensive to fix and never covered under the warranty. We've been steadily replacing rotors since we bought the things (which can only be bought at the dealership, go figure). I love the exterior!! No major failures as of yet but lots of recalls. The interior has had a lot of little probs. The arm rest on the driver's door ripped with just my husband's elbow resting on it. The silver chips off the inner door handles and leaves razor-sharp edges. WATCH OUT!! We had to sand them. Overall, it's a good car.