2002 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Excellent value when new, even better as preowned
By papacito on 05/12/14 23:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Hyundai Sonata new, driving 100 miles from my home to the dealer who had the color and options I wanted. Overall, this car has been excellent. It now has 190,000 miles on it and I can honestly say the problems that I have had have been minimal. Those issues include a bad oxygen sensor, a power steering leak and the starter replaced, all of these things after 120,000 miles. I will admit that I have not been as maintenance conscious as I should have been, but despite that, she continues to run like a champ.

RUN don't walk!!!
By celestial on 10/17/13 13:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car second hand from an owner who did maintain the car and brought it in for all recalls. We have owned it for 4yrs and have only put on 20,000km's. Within the first year of having it, wheel bearings needed to be changed. Then it started to spudder, shorted out and died in the driveway. Turns out there is a problem with the battery connectors and one had almost completely rotted off. I have heard of this issue with these cars. During this escapade it blew the main fuse of the car which was hard to find. Now the transmission is finished, the catalytic converter(S) need to be changed, yes there are 3 on this car and it will cost you 2000+ to change them, there is electrical

Best car I've owned in my 39 years!
By greywethr on 06/16/12 16:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought one for $10,000 w/29k miles. I wrecked it at 142k miles. At 40mph, I T-boned an SUV, and it still started, but Esurance totaled it. :( The water pump died at around 80k, covered. Between 100k & 142k, I replaced the front wheel bearings in 2011 (I drove offroad a few times), battery, alternator, rear brake calipers. That's it, nothing else major went wrong. Minor things the past year or two, tape deck died, radio display flickers (I have Sirius, so that doesn't matter), antenna only goes half-way up.

Not such a good car
By colin_88 on 04/15/12 17:08 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This wasn't my car, it was my mom's and I hated driving it. Parts would wear out constantly. At about 80k miles driving to work, the timing belt snapped and destroyed some critical engine parts. The engine had to be torn apart and rebuilt, along with a new water pump costing almost $1200. Later on that year, the water pump had to be replaced again, the CV joints had to be replaced, new alternator, and new spark plugs all before 90K miles. Once it passes 100K miles, we got all sorts of weird noises such as a shrieking engine that is the worst when driving in the rain. The ride was very uncomfortable with almost no padding in the seats.

A great car
By garth4 on 03/24/12 23:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had a 4 cylinder 2002 Sonata since new in 2002. It is as good looking a car as is any on the road, it has been absolutely reliable. I have had no costs associated with repairs to the car. I am 70 years of age, and hope to drive this car for another ten years. It has just over 60,000k.

Calling all recalls
By disabledvet84 on 05/15/11 20:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Like most cars, the 2002 Sonata has its recalls and defects, at first this car was rated very high in customer satisfaction and industry standards, for the most part this still holds true despite recall defects... what i find interesting about the bad features of this vehicle is not that it's a bad car but that simply stated, The only thing bad about this car is mainly small recall issues in its performace design. what i really like about the company is thats they are quick to investigate any problems with this car to fix any malfunctions free of cost...5 stars here..thats called trust!

Power Steering Hose Issue
By neil2002 on 02/27/11 13:32 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Sonata LX 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Well, I've been starting to have power steering fluid leaking all over the place. Took a look up under the car and the high pressure power steering hose is spitting out a lot of fluid. Judging from these reviews this is a very common problem with sonatas. Usually seems to happen around 100K (my 2002 has 105K on it). Definitely a design flaw, but don't know if it meets criteria for a class action. Would do this myself to save some $ but can't really save that much as this is a dealer part that's about $300. I'll let the techs install as I'm sure they've done plenty and the labor (although it's not a 2 second job) is not the brunt of the cost.

Solid Car
By Brandon on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My Sonata now has 130,000 miles on it and repairs are starting to add up. I bought it brand new and have to say up until now, it has been a good purchase. My O2 sensor went out a few times, but was covered by the warranty. The power antennae broke but covered by warranty. The interior door handles also started to peel, but was covered by a recall. At about 75,000 the paint started to bubble on the roof of the car, and at 120,000, the power steering line started to leak, which cost around $300 to fix. The speedometer and cruise control just went out at 130,000, so who knows how much that will be. The car does ride nice and handles beautiful though, maintenance is expensive but would buy again.

2002 Sonata
By Andy on 08/23/10 14:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Good commuter car, not so great mpg but manageable. Some issues were fixed under warranty; water pump, front window motor replaced and complete instrument panel replaced because of a broken fuel gauge, so reflected mileage is actually less than actual. The cons: front right brakes were replaces but always squeaks, timing belt jumped and damaged the timing sensor before 60k miles and transmission speed sensor went out at 64k mi which cost me $950 and $350 respectively. Dealer said it was not covered under drivetrain warranty, would have wanted to keep this car but problems are starting to pop out.

Good Car
By 02Guy on 06/20/10 16:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my car brand new back in 2002. It now has 123,000 miles on it and I'm now just experiencing a few problems. The power steering line is leaking power steering fluid. From other reviews, it seems like this is a common problem and should possibly be a recall because of a poor design flaw. The paint is also peeling on my roof. A few other minor complaints were the antennae broke, but it was still under warranty, the O2 sensor went out a few times and chrome inside door handles peeled, all covered by a recall. Also, the maintenance is a bit pricey. Now for the good. It handles great and has such a smooth ride. No major problems the first 7 years of ownership. I'll buy a Hyundai again.