Used 2001 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Hyundai Dependability?
By rgj

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My second hyundai. First was "99 Accent which was very dependable. Sonata was bought new, July "01. Car has 61130 mi. Battery replaced after 24 mos., Front rotors turned--47000mi. Front rotors and pads replaced @ 60000 mi--$ll8.00. Other than oilchnge every 5,000mi, repairs, bat&rotors, came to less thn $200. Car is quiet, smooth, roomy. Many good comments from friends on ride and performance. Owned around 30 cars in my life, my sonata is among the best I've owned, Major dislike: Steering is too light. I prefer more road feel.

Smooth ride, room,performance

Longer lasting battery. Short battery life seems to be a common problem. Engineer more road feel in steerting

Reliable and Nice Ride
By the_ca_bohemian

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is great! It gets up to speed quickly which is important for merging in California. :-) The ride is comfortable, and the stock stereo is pretty decent. Comes with so much more than the Camry I was looking at, and affected my wallet a lot less as well! Would definitely buy another Hyundai.

I like the V6 engine and the great gas mileage. The average price per gallon in Riverside is a disgusting $2.30, fortunately my Sonata is not a heavy drinker.

Driving through very open high wind areas like Nevada, Oregon, and Idaho requires cranking up the stereo to avoid listening to the peculiar whistling sounds that the Sonata makes when the wind hits the front dead-on.

Great Car
By run42k

2001 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was initially skeptical in buying a Hyundai, but I'm glad that I made the purchase. The warranty is great. I have only had a few minor problems that the dealer took care of with no questions. The price was very reasonable.

Warranty, reliability.

Pleasantly surprised
By Monipeni

2001 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Was forced to buy the Sonata due to constraints set by the bank and my budget. It turned out it is a great car for the money. Fun to drive on the highway, handles like a dream and has lots of pep. Plenty of room inside and in the trunk. Nicely styled too. The stereo cranks except the CD player skips sometimes. Some of the paint is peeling off a door handle. It's a 5 speed. The shifter is horrible, hard to find 3rd gear sometimes and have to be at a complete stop to go into 1st. All in all I would recommend to a friend to buy a Sonata anytime.

Handling on the highway, it's a dream.

The manual transmission shifter needs attention.

Good alernative to Honda
By sirjohn72

2001 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was very sceptical at first when looking at Hyundai to purchase a family size car, we looked at Honda, Toyota & they were out of our price range. The Hyundai Sonata was definitely the right price, & the great warranty was a factor in deciding on the Hyundai. I've owned this car almost 3 years & have not had a major mechical breakdown, with a few minor exceptions, the car is very reliable. The Sonata drives like a Camry & feels very comfortable driving, although it's not a performance sedan, it could use a little more horsepower out of the 2.4 liter engine, but you could always opt for the V6. Overall I rate this car outstanding.

Very comfortable seats, this car will make a long drive effortless.

More horsepower out of the 2.4 liter engine, better handling.