Used 2001 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2001 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Most Helpful|
Good alernative to Honda
By sirjohn72

2001 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was very sceptical at first when looking at Hyundai to purchase a family size car, we looked at Honda, Toyota & they were out of our price range. The Hyundai Sonata was definitely the right price, & the great warranty was a factor in deciding on the Hyundai. I've owned this car almost 3 years & have not had a major mechical breakdown, with a few minor exceptions, the car is very reliable. The Sonata drives like a Camry & feels very comfortable driving, although it's not a performance sedan, it could use a little more horsepower out of the 2.4 liter engine, but you could always opt for the V6. Overall I rate this car outstanding.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable seats, this car will make a long drive effortless.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower out of the 2.4 liter engine, better handling.

Would never Buy again
By hyundaihater

2001 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Mom gave me this car and what a lemon.though it lasted me through college,cost me tons of money for repairing. Timing belt broke at 53000 miles out of nowhere, had to get a new engine at this time, luckily under warranty after showing massive proof of oil change records.had to get new breaks every year and a couple months later would squeal like a pig the minute i stepped on breaks. Terrible rotors or terrible work by mechanics i'll never know. Check engine light comes on intermittently. Luckily, i will never deal with this again as i'm now a college grad who'll be able to avoid a hyundai now and forever. Am very grateful to have had a car that got me from point a to b. So thanks.

Favorite Features

Heating system was good. I mean i hate cold and the heat would be blasting excellent.

Suggested Improvements

everything! this car has got to be a nightmare.

Love It!!!!!
By Cmt4lif02

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my car for a year now and it has been the best thing ever. It has gotten me back and forward to school, and the gas mileage is good. The car also has great handling and control. I've had minimal problems with the car. It holds up well when something is wrong though. I would suggest this car for any young driver.

Favorite Features

Great Brakes, The best sound system, and it heats up fast in the winter.

Suggested Improvements

The strength of the wheel bearings.

2001 Hyundai Sonata (4 cyl)
By Tony from PA

2001 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased car new. The vehicle has 57,000 miles on it. Over the past ten years, I have only performed maintenance items on the vehicle. I have just had to service it for the first time. The AC compressor needed to be replaced. Purchased an extended bumper to bumper warranty so the it was covered. I recently passed the car onto my son. Out of all of the cars I have owned, this one has been the most reliable.

Favorite Features

Comfortable to drive. Body style.

Suggested Improvements

Waterproof electrical connectors on engine (can't power wash without issues). Quality of plastics in interior. Brakes vibrate when stopping from high speeds.

300,000 miles
By 2001sonatagls

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan w/Leather (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Sonata GLS new in the summer of 2001. I have a 43 mile one way commute to work. I change the oil every 3,000 miles. I replace the engine coolant and transmission fluid every 60,000 miles. I replace the timing belt and serpentine belt every 60,000 miles. My reward for taking care of my car is 300,800 miles so far. My car does not use any oil or leak any fluids. I've had work done on the AC system once and had it charged a second time. I replaced the front wheel bearings once and each of the front tie rods once. Eleven and on half years of reliable service sums up my satisfaction with Hyundai. btw, This is the first car that I have ever kept past 100,000 mile.

Favorite Features

I don't really have any specific favorite features.

Suggested Improvements

I have some rust on the body; but after 11 Illinois winters it is not excessive.