2001 Hyundai Sonata Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2001 Sonata Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Sort Reviews by

I'm cheap and this was worth it!
By ntsapjr

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I think $ for $, itís the best car Iíve ever owned. I wasn't eager to spend $19k, but 34k miles later Iím relieved to have a great, fully loaded GLS V-6. The car has plenty of room (I'm 5'9" 290lbs at heaviest). Iíve been able to squeeze out 24/32mpg Ė that's not always, but I can bet on at least 21/29mpg in every tank. The only problem Iíve had is with the driver's side auto window. But that 10yr/100k warranty got me a smile, a new regulator, and NO BILL! Routine maintenance has only cost about $400. It may not race like a mustang, but it will do 75 with little noise and lots of comfort.

Favorite Features

Lots of room for people of all sizes. Good all around view of the road. Comfortable ride. That little pen clip that no one else seems to put in the car.

Suggested Improvements

Programmable driver seat position settings would sure keep me from trying to squeeze in behind a 5'2" wife!

Very Surprised
By theboxer5

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

2001 Sonata gls,xlnt value,no major problems,comfortable,gobs of power,negative: front end is very low to ground and received numerous road chips in paint,so buy a bra. Had to buy a new battery at 20 months.

Favorite Features

Good value for the money,reliable.Adjustable steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

More drivers leg room

2001 Sonata review
By Alan Watts

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The Sonata is a great value. The car looks good, has the best warranty available, and is loaded. This would make a great reliable car for anyone, especially a family. My only complaint is the lack of power.

Favorite Features

What normally would be options on other cars are standard on the Sonata- CD player, heated side mirrors, cruise control, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Increase the engine power!

what brakes?
By tutty

2001 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

since we bought this vechicle, we have experienced very squeeky and fading brakes. also, very sluggish when a/c is on with unusual shifting. other than that we find the car very comfortable, quiet and very reliable

Favorite Features

overall ride, tires.

Suggested Improvements

better service dealership, make warrenty transferible to improve resale, better gas milage and performance, reduce motor noise, much needed improvement with the brakes and transmission.

Good style
By JayJay

Good quality, excellent service

2001 Sonata
By daver3

2001 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

No hastle ownership good performance with 5 speed man.

Suggested Improvements

Interion plastics seem tp be of low quality/

Wow! So this is a Hyundai????
By Dallen47

2001 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

2 years ago, I wouldn't have even looked at one!!! Good marketing raised my curiosity. All I can say is WOW!!! Test drive revealed a well made, quiet and peppy vehicle. I bought the 4 cylinder and took it to Florida. 33MPG??? I'm in heaven. Only flaw was a distorted side view mirror. One trip to the dealer and it was fixed- free!! Every time I drive it (wife's car), I marvel "I can't believe this is a Hyundai. Now have 13,000 miles and it's still as tight and quiet as the day I bought it.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage--- Wow!! Even city-miles is about 25. Everything was standard

Suggested Improvements

Entry into the drivers seat is a little tight if my wife hasn't put the tilted wheel up. Thought I broke my leg the first time. Now I look before I sit.

Put $$$ wher their mouth was
By ramjet142

2001 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2001 demo model with am/fm cd player,4 speed automatic,power moon- roof & 11335 miles for $11995.After 1.5 hrs at dealer I drove home with vehicle Highly impressed with pep & performance Rides like it's on rails at higher speeds(above 70 mph)and is very smooth below 70 mph & brakes on a dime.Several people have commented it looks Jaguarish Fantastic warranty will take care of any snafu's. Fuel economy is lower than manufacturers quote(20 mpg avg.)but I drive mostly city miles with a lead foot.Stock am/fm cd player & speakers thump pretty well.Overall,I don't think you can get better quality&performance for the buck.

Favorite Features

Interior dome light light that fades out when door is shut,Ignition key light,power moonroof

Suggested Improvements

Fold down arm rest on drivers seat.

Sonata 2002 GLS
By trepach

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Surprice... Buying this car for under 20000 $ with all that extras and V6 engine is really best decision u can do...

Favorite Features

Shiftronic transmision - best for the moment

Suggested Improvements

Only thing I can say is .. If the Automatic Transmision was 5 speed and not 4.. that will be really nice.. Shiftronic is really fyn to drive

Best car owned to date
By Redstone

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned the car for two weeks. So far I can't find anything wrong with it. If I ever do my 100,000 mile warrenty should cover it.

Favorite Features

Inside gas and trunk release. AM/FM/CD/Cassette.

Suggested Improvements

ABS standard. Just about everything else is.