Used 2001 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2001 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Great car!
By Daniel Yorgov

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car used 3 months ago and I took it on a 1300 miles trip on the very next day. GLS Leather is very comfortable and roomy inside. It is also a beauty: I have had quite a few good comments from my friends. It proofed itself as very dependable vehicle in the extreme upper Michigan weather conditions. Definitely will consider buying Sonata again!

Favorite Features

I love almost everything about this car.

Suggested Improvements

Although this is a family sedan I would like more sporty feeling driving this car.

Love my Sonata
By Seanna's Mom

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is possibly the best car I'll ever own. She has been totally reliable, beautiful and fun to drive. As small as it looks, this car was big enough to accomodate me, my 10 cats in their cages and their supplies for our move from New Jersey to Florida. I'llmiss her when I have to trade her in.

Favorite Features

CD player AND cassette player with the AM/FM radio. Fold down rear seat. Moonroof.

Suggested Improvements

I would have loved to have a trunk release on the keyless entry remote.

Great Warranty, but needed it too often!
By talie

2001 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because of the price and the warranty and those were the reasons I liked it. Until sensor's started going out, the airbag light was on, rotors went bad, and I had to have it hauled to the dealer too often for my liking. Dealer was great, they repaired it nicely and really stood by the car, but it hasn't been as reliable as I need a car to be. It's at the dealer now. ANOTHER sensor went out at 53,000 miles. This is the last time I'm doing this. As soon as I get it back from the repair shop I'm trading in before the warranty expires because this particular car really needed the warranty to make it worth keeping.

Favorite Features

I like the styling and the paint on the car was quite nice. I really liked the

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower. The tranny is a little sluggish and hesitates sometimes before moving out. The seats were terribly uncomfortable on longer trips.

Hyundai Wonder
By dougndo

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This ebony black GLS Leather sedan has been a very good vehicle. In 40k+ miles, I've had a total of two days lost to service for four nonessential in warranty repairs, and I've spent $30 on one prorated repair. Otherwise, the car's been flawless. It's great to have a car paid off with two years left on the bumper to bumper warranty and seven years on the powertrain. I'll likely sell it before either runs out, but what a deal in the meantime! I saved thousands by choosing this over its competition, and I continue to save money every month. In this case, I will agree with Hyundai: I bought their car and I win.

Favorite Features

Looks Interior comfort Comfortable ride Highway cruising manners Economy Reliability Easy to use controls Center console Durability of materials

Suggested Improvements

Take care of the floor mat issue, and I'm happy.

Great little car
By budboy

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

For a high mileage driver you can't beat this deal. The car came with everything in it, no options; (I think that has changed) it is comfortable, gets 30 miles to the gallon (on the road) and is one of the peppiest cars we have driven. We hope to keep it for five years and will amortize the price out at under 3500 per year including maintenance costs.

Favorite Features

We like the fold down back seats....very convenient and easy to use.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I ever complain about is the size of the cup holder.....it won't hold a non-carbonated drink bottle!