Used 2001 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Say NO to Hyundai
By Bob

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Beware of chronic "check engine" warnings. Prepare to pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars for faulty sensors: input and output. Hyundai will capture the public with a low/reasonable price tag but the REAL cost of ownership begins the day you take it home from the dealer. NEVER, NEVER AGAIN hyundai!

very good
By engin

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

didnt have any major problems. When had problems hyundai service took care of it under the warranty

cd player

i think the 2006 sonata looks really hot sportier

I've driven better
By JJ Leonidas

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 6 cylinder Sonata and for the first 30,000 mile was great. After a tune up, it was down hill. The disc brakes keep making noise, it has a bad sensor that I spend too much money on, the transmission keep slipping, and when the power windows need repairs, only Hyundai can replace it, with a cheap plastic piece to draw it up and down. I may have drive the crap out of the car, but the reliability is bad. It also revs up to 4000 rpms after I start it up. I'll stick with my Ford Tempo which out last the Sonata so far out of the two cars I have.

The sound system, lumbar, cruise control, body style.

Rip the blue prints and start all over. More power. Better brakes, better transmission.

HYUNDAI
By JannaH

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased a used Hyundai last year after my Ford Explorer gave out on me. I was skeptical at first because I didn't know much about Hyundai; after my test drive, I was sold. The power and the sleekness of this car has really been worth the remarkably low price I paid for the car (9,000 with a 4 year 75,000 mile total warranty). I am very pleased with my car I just wish I could have found one with a sun roof at the dealership! :)

CD player, wood paneling, light odometer, extra plug in, the cute horn ;) and the rear pull down cup holder console.

I wouldn't change anything!

Great savings but it's been troublesome
By SgtGary

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

A beautiful and fun car with a pretty good design and the warranty - awesome. But I've used the warranty way too many times. It's been in the shop no less than 10 times: replaced sensors 3 times, replaced dead battery twice, fixed airbag sensors twice, fixed window motors three times, and of course they found a multitude of problems during the 30K mileage tune-up. I like this car, but I wish it was more reliable!

I like the front seat comfort, handling, moonroof, and dash/console design, as well as the great gas mileage on the highway (city is ok, around 20mpg).

Ok, the oxygen/engine sensors, airbag sensors and window motors are horrible - this car is only just reaching 4 years old and I've replaced all the above annually! Oh, and the shifting between gears around 20-22 mph drives me nuts (flips back & forth)