2001 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Cheap, but well equipped transportation
By ElTomaso on 12/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought this Hyundai used. I bought it after reading the Consumer Reports evaluation of the new Hyundai Sonatas. The new Hyundais are rated as above average in reliability. This 2001 is a four cylinder, but has good acceleration and handles well. It cruises at highway speeds easily. It is quiet, comfortable and fun to drive. I like the power moonroof and the cd player.

unhappy camper
By jmsmin on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car had more problems than can be explained in 700 words. Briefly, the air conditioner compresser gutted at about 8,000 miles, the engine would die and not restart, (a sensor they said), the engine jumped time and when it was returned, died the nest day. It was towed 9 times and spent as much time in the shop as on the road. At 36,000 miles the engind jumped time again and would not run, the dealer would not fix the problem, and I returned the car to them. I was out down payment and year and half of payments on a car that was at best a piece of junk. No more Hyundais for me.

Great car...if you keep it forever!!
By Tee on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The car looks good and drives good. I had to replace the battery after almost 3 yrs., and the warranty lived up to itself. My main complaint is the resale value. If you are going to buy one, buy it used. We are getting ready to trade it in, and we are extremely disappointed in the trade in value.

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 gold package
By JTMix on 09/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased the gold trim package, V6 Sonata GLS.I have been very pleased with this vehicle since the purchase date and I have never recieved so many complements from my co-workers and friends about a vehicle. It's just like the 2003 model except for the different grill. I don't know why the 2003 model supposedly gets 1 less mile to the gallon. Maybe because of it's automatic climate control feature. Look out Toyota, there's another quality import in town now.

give it a shot
By hemi on 09/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have a loaded 2001 GLS with 33,000 miles. Had two problems, driver door window that was fixed at no charge and at 28 months a battery was needed. The dealer pro-rated the battery at 60% off retail. Its just a great car, performance,comfort,style how can you go wrong. And for under $20,000. You have to take it for a ride and see for yourself

Sonata is a great car
By Brian_in_MD on 08/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had an Excel before which was great, but the quality and value of the Sonata is outstanding. I use it for short commutes and long trips with the family and it does the job really well. I have had one problem with the power windows which was fixed under warrantee.

Luxury you can afford
By Antonito on 08/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love the car. It rides very smooth, classy look,spacy,affordable,sound system great. Negative Features: Cruise control button is placed in inconvenient location. Mirrors stick out a little too far. Front bumber always scrapes when parking(too low). A little wind noise when windy and at high speed. If you get a side wind the car rocks. Power steering is a little loud. Upset that I didn't know they were coming out with a new model the following year. Over all I would recomend the car. I have had no problems with it. If you have an opportunity, test drive, you will be blown away. It drives like a new Jag!

Extremely Pleased !!!!
By Jennifer Hart on 07/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love my car. Everyone who has ever ridden in my car says it's a smooth, quiet, roomy and comfortable ride.

Buy this car!
By lambdakai8 on 05/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

If you want a car that is going to do what a car is suppose to do and more, buy a Sonata! I bought one and been happy ever since. I am 6'5 and 300 pounds. The Sonata, unlike many other car, makes a person my size feel comfortable. To to meation, it is sporty for a bachelor and upscale to fit in any event. I receive VIP service every time I take my car to the dealer. I love my Sonata and I love Hyundai. Though I will be trading it in for a SUV, I am sticking to Hyundai for a Santa Fe.

excellent value
By minski on 03/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This GLS v6 is just about the nicest car I've owned. It's coming up on 50K and I've had no troubles whatsoever. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.