2001 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Great car!
By Daniel Yorgov on 03/03/05 20:11 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car used 3 months ago and I took it on a 1300 miles trip on the very next day. GLS Leather is very comfortable and roomy inside. It is also a beauty: I have had quite a few good comments from my friends. It proofed itself as very dependable vehicle in the extreme upper Michigan weather conditions. Definitely will consider buying Sonata again!

Love my Sonata
By Seanna's Mom on 09/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is possibly the best car I'll ever own. She has been totally reliable, beautiful and fun to drive. As small as it looks, this car was big enough to accomodate me, my 10 cats in their cages and their supplies for our move from New Jersey to Florida. I'llmiss her when I have to trade her in.

Great Warranty, but needed it too often!
By talie on 08/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because of the price and the warranty and those were the reasons I liked it. Until sensor's started going out, the airbag light was on, rotors went bad, and I had to have it hauled to the dealer too often for my liking. Dealer was great, they repaired it nicely and really stood by the car, but it hasn't been as reliable as I need a car to be. It's at the dealer now. ANOTHER sensor went out at 53,000 miles. This is the last time I'm doing this. As soon as I get it back from the repair shop I'm trading in before the warranty expires because this particular car really needed the warranty to make it worth keeping.

Hyundai Wonder
By dougndo on 07/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This ebony black GLS Leather sedan has been a very good vehicle. In 40k+ miles, I've had a total of two days lost to service for four nonessential in warranty repairs, and I've spent $30 on one prorated repair. Otherwise, the car's been flawless. It's great to have a car paid off with two years left on the bumper to bumper warranty and seven years on the powertrain. I'll likely sell it before either runs out, but what a deal in the meantime! I saved thousands by choosing this over its competition, and I continue to save money every month. In this case, I will agree with Hyundai: I bought their car and I win.

Great little car
By budboy on 06/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

For a high mileage driver you can't beat this deal. The car came with everything in it, no options; (I think that has changed) it is comfortable, gets 30 miles to the gallon (on the road) and is one of the peppiest cars we have driven. We hope to keep it for five years and will amortize the price out at under 3500 per year including maintenance costs.

Hyundai Dependability?
By rgj on 05/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My second hyundai. First was "99 Accent which was very dependable. Sonata was bought new, July "01. Car has 61130 mi. Battery replaced after 24 mos., Front rotors turned--47000mi. Front rotors and pads replaced @ 60000 mi--$ll8.00. Other than oilchnge every 5,000mi, repairs, bat&rotors, came to less thn $200. Car is quiet, smooth, roomy. Many good comments from friends on ride and performance. Owned around 30 cars in my life, my sonata is among the best I've owned, Major dislike: Steering is too light. I prefer more road feel.

Reliable and Nice Ride
By the_ca_bohemian on 04/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is great! It gets up to speed quickly which is important for merging in California. :-) The ride is comfortable, and the stock stereo is pretty decent. Comes with so much more than the Camry I was looking at, and affected my wallet a lot less as well! Would definitely buy another Hyundai.

Great Car
By run42k on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was initially skeptical in buying a Hyundai, but I'm glad that I made the purchase. The warranty is great. I have only had a few minor problems that the dealer took care of with no questions. The price was very reasonable.

Pleasantly surprised
By Monipeni on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Was forced to buy the Sonata due to constraints set by the bank and my budget. It turned out it is a great car for the money. Fun to drive on the highway, handles like a dream and has lots of pep. Plenty of room inside and in the trunk. Nicely styled too. The stereo cranks except the CD player skips sometimes. Some of the paint is peeling off a door handle. It's a 5 speed. The shifter is horrible, hard to find 3rd gear sometimes and have to be at a complete stop to go into 1st. All in all I would recommend to a friend to buy a Sonata anytime.

Good alernative to Honda
By sirjohn72 on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was very sceptical at first when looking at Hyundai to purchase a family size car, we looked at Honda, Toyota & they were out of our price range. The Hyundai Sonata was definitely the right price, & the great warranty was a factor in deciding on the Hyundai. I've owned this car almost 3 years & have not had a major mechical breakdown, with a few minor exceptions, the car is very reliable. The Sonata drives like a Camry & feels very comfortable driving, although it's not a performance sedan, it could use a little more horsepower out of the 2.4 liter engine, but you could always opt for the V6. Overall I rate this car outstanding.