Used 2001 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2001 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

AWESOME CAR!!!
By Michelle R.

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I really love this car. My Fiancee bought me the car as a present to replace my old Nissan Altima. It has plenty of room for our kids. Is great on mileage and the sun roof is a lot of fun on sunny days in Florida. I would recommend the car to anyone!

Favorite Features

Sun Roof

Love It!!!!!
By Cmt4lif02

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my car for a year now and it has been the best thing ever. It has gotten me back and forward to school, and the gas mileage is good. The car also has great handling and control. I've had minimal problems with the car. It holds up well when something is wrong though. I would suggest this car for any young driver.

Favorite Features

Great Brakes, The best sound system, and it heats up fast in the winter.

Suggested Improvements

The strength of the wheel bearings.

loved my sonata :)
By misslyssa85

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Until someone smashed into mine last week :-( I loved my Sonata. I just got it back in February. I would definitely recommend it to others. Never had any problems (I know I only had it a short time). Basic maintenance. I loved having the V6 engine, it handled well, good brakes, very comfortable. The only thing I didn't like was the cupholders. They were in an awkward place. But overall, I miss my car and want another one just like it!!

Favorite Features

comfortable seats, love the engine power and the sunroof

Suggested Improvements

cupholders need relocation

I love all things Hyundai
By CoraNecole

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I am the proud owner of four Hyundai's. Three Sonatas and one Accent. Did have a 99 Elantra. I just passed to my daughter my "01 Sonata after buying a new "08". I just love that car. I told my kids as they got old enough to drive that if they wanted me to buy them a car that it could only be a Hyundai. When you come to my house it looks like a dealership. I will forever be loyal to the Hyundai family of cars. They have taken great care of my family. With the exception of one problem caused by human error, my run with the brand has been great. I am now looking forward to the Genesis. GO HYUNDAI!!!!

Favorite Features

2008 model = More ground clearance. More headroom. Luxury feel. Heated side mirrors. Automatic headlights, satellite radio. 2001 Model = super sporty feel. sleek, my little traffic dart.

Suggested Improvements

Bluetooth Capabilities and a secure digital card slot in the radio is all that is missing.

Take care of it, and it can last
By Chris from AZ

2001 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the car for the the reliabillity of it's engine, which has proven to be reliable beyond 130,000 and still going. As with ALL cars things WILL go over time, none of them major. Taking care of it and replacing the transmission mount at 100k (which is the cause of uncontrolled reving, and gear slip) Gear slip is also caused by finicky INPUT and OUTPUT speed sensors. In either case the problem goes away when fixed.

Favorite Features

Drive by wire transmission, Design, DOHC.

Suggested Improvements

Improved input/output sensors. Stronger engine mounts.