2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
300,000 miles
By 2001sonatagls on 12/27/12 15:33 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan w/Leather (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Sonata GLS new in the summer of 2001. I have a 43 mile one way commute to work. I change the oil every 3,000 miles. I replace the engine coolant and transmission fluid every 60,000 miles. I replace the timing belt and serpentine belt every 60,000 miles. My reward for taking care of my car is 300,800 miles so far. My car does not use any oil or leak any fluids. I've had work done on the AC system once and had it charged a second time. I replaced the front wheel bearings once and each of the front tie rods once. Eleven and on half years of reliable service sums up my satisfaction with Hyundai. btw, This is the first car that I have ever kept past 100,000 mile.

I LOVE IT even 200,000 miles later
By shelly09 on 03/06/12 08:58 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car. I bought it 2 years ago as my first car. It is getting me through college. It is the most reliable car ever. I am 2nd owner and 200,000 miles as of yesterday. the only problem I have had was a small leak in the power steering line. I get good miles and it is quite. I call it my dolphine because of the long nose and short tail. :). I do not regret getting this car.

2001 Hyundai Sonata (4 cyl)
By Tony from PA on 07/14/10 15:42 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased car new. The vehicle has 57,000 miles on it. Over the past ten years, I have only performed maintenance items on the vehicle. I have just had to service it for the first time. The AC compressor needed to be replaced. Purchased an extended bumper to bumper warranty so the it was covered. I recently passed the car onto my son. Out of all of the cars I have owned, this one has been the most reliable.

Very pleased
By jackster on 07/05/10 06:59 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2001 v6 24 valve dohc from a lady who obviously had taken care of her car this car drives very well and is great on the highway when you need to pass not lacking in acceleration I owned a 1982 Toyota supra celica gts with the same size engine and this little sleeper runs just as good with the same performance with a little smoother ride I would recommend this car to anyone and as a bonus I picked it up for 2000 Canadian which was a steal she actually cried when I took it away from her lol my gain !

Reliable Hyundai
By Love my Sonata on 02/06/10 07:35 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After doing much research, I found my Hyundai Sonata to be everything claimed. The six cylinder model is a very quiet, smooth ride. It accelerates when applied and the cruise control is amazing. Other than the big turning radius(which was disclosed), I have nothing but good things to say about it. It is a large roomy car so 20 mpg (in town) wasn't a bad statistic. As with all automobiles, regular maintenance is a must.

AWESOME CAR!!!
By Michelle R. on 02/02/09 14:59 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I really love this car. My Fiancee bought me the car as a present to replace my old Nissan Altima. It has plenty of room for our kids. Is great on mileage and the sun roof is a lot of fun on sunny days in Florida. I would recommend the car to anyone!

Love It!!!!!
By Cmt4lif02 on 01/05/09 09:30 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my car for a year now and it has been the best thing ever. It has gotten me back and forward to school, and the gas mileage is good. The car also has great handling and control. I've had minimal problems with the car. It holds up well when something is wrong though. I would suggest this car for any young driver.

loved my sonata :)
By misslyssa85 on 09/18/08 09:21 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Until someone smashed into mine last week :-( I loved my Sonata. I just got it back in February. I would definitely recommend it to others. Never had any problems (I know I only had it a short time). Basic maintenance. I loved having the V6 engine, it handled well, good brakes, very comfortable. The only thing I didn't like was the cupholders. They were in an awkward place. But overall, I miss my car and want another one just like it!!

I love all things Hyundai
By CoraNecole on 06/01/08 19:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I am the proud owner of four Hyundai's. Three Sonatas and one Accent. Did have a 99 Elantra. I just passed to my daughter my "01 Sonata after buying a new "08". I just love that car. I told my kids as they got old enough to drive that if they wanted me to buy them a car that it could only be a Hyundai. When you come to my house it looks like a dealership. I will forever be loyal to the Hyundai family of cars. They have taken great care of my family. With the exception of one problem caused by human error, my run with the brand has been great. I am now looking forward to the Genesis. GO HYUNDAI!!!!

Take care of it, and it can last
By Chris from AZ on 12/20/07 00:39 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the car for the the reliabillity of it's engine, which has proven to be reliable beyond 130,000 and still going. As with ALL cars things WILL go over time, none of them major. Taking care of it and replacing the transmission mount at 100k (which is the cause of uncontrolled reving, and gear slip) Gear slip is also caused by finicky INPUT and OUTPUT speed sensors. In either case the problem goes away when fixed.