Used 2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Most Helpful|
300,000 miles
By 2001sonatagls

2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan w/Leather (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Sonata GLS new in the summer of 2001. I have a 43 mile one way commute to work. I change the oil every 3,000 miles. I replace the engine coolant and transmission fluid every 60,000 miles. I replace the timing belt and serpentine belt every 60,000 miles. My reward for taking care of my car is 300,800 miles so far. My car does not use any oil or leak any fluids. I've had work done on the AC system once and had it charged a second time. I replaced the front wheel bearings once and each of the front tie rods once. Eleven and on half years of reliable service sums up my satisfaction with Hyundai. btw, This is the first car that I have ever kept past 100,000 mile.

Favorite Features

I don't really have any specific favorite features.

Suggested Improvements

I have some rust on the body; but after 11 Illinois winters it is not excessive.

I LOVE IT even 200,000 miles later
By shelly09

2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car. I bought it 2 years ago as my first car. It is getting me through college. It is the most reliable car ever. I am 2nd owner and 200,000 miles as of yesterday. the only problem I have had was a small leak in the power steering line. I get good miles and it is quite. I call it my dolphine because of the long nose and short tail. :). I do not regret getting this car.

Favorite Features

the reliablility, the comfort, the look, the room

2001 Hyundai Sonata (4 cyl)
By Tony from PA

2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased car new. The vehicle has 57,000 miles on it. Over the past ten years, I have only performed maintenance items on the vehicle. I have just had to service it for the first time. The AC compressor needed to be replaced. Purchased an extended bumper to bumper warranty so the it was covered. I recently passed the car onto my son. Out of all of the cars I have owned, this one has been the most reliable.

Favorite Features

Comfortable to drive. Body style.

Suggested Improvements

Waterproof electrical connectors on engine (can't power wash without issues). Quality of plastics in interior. Brakes vibrate when stopping from high speeds.

Reliable Hyundai
By Love my Sonata

2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After doing much research, I found my Hyundai Sonata to be everything claimed. The six cylinder model is a very quiet, smooth ride. It accelerates when applied and the cruise control is amazing. Other than the big turning radius(which was disclosed), I have nothing but good things to say about it. It is a large roomy car so 20 mpg (in town) wasn't a bad statistic. As with all automobiles, regular maintenance is a must.

Favorite Features

Smooth, quite ride and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

I would like better mpg and a much smaller turning radius. Being 5'9", I would like the steering wheel column a bit longer so my legs and arms can rest comfortably when driving. Moving the seat back as far as I need for my legs, makes me stretch my arms uncomfortably to reach the steering wheel.

Very pleased
By jackster

2001 Hyundai Sonata Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2001 v6 24 valve dohc from a lady who obviously had taken care of her car this car drives very well and is great on the highway when you need to pass not lacking in acceleration I owned a 1982 Toyota supra celica gts with the same size engine and this little sleeper runs just as good with the same performance with a little smoother ride I would recommend this car to anyone and as a bonus I picked it up for 2000 Canadian which was a steal she actually cried when I took it away from her lol my gain !

Favorite Features

ride acceleration handling

Suggested Improvements

cruise on the steering wheel