1999 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Review: JUNK!!!!!!!

1999 Hyundai Sonata Sedan - Consumer Review

JUNK!!!!!!!
By md on

1999 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan

If you like taking it to the dealer 'buy one".... If not leave. The first year I owned it I took it to the dealer around 10-15 times. recalls, peeling paint, wheel bearings in rear, crankshaft sensor, burnt wiring in transmission, carpet falling apart, airbag sensors, and a few other things. The sensors went after the warranty. Not cheap to replace. Overall 'JUNK'. I have been letting it sit till I pay it down some because trade-in value sucks. Been driving a Honda with 152,000 miles with no major problems. Oh!, the dealer I got it at 95% of the time didn't have a loaner car. They wanted you to sit for four to five hours. A big waist of time. Got loaner twice and a Accent as that.

I think the v6 engine would be good if all the rest of electical and body and what not was atached. Seems to run good and clean besides all the sensor problems and stuff.

95% of the whole thing 'JUNK' Door Speakers blown twice and finaly put after market in that wouldn't blow. Come on Hyundai over half of the reviews are negative. Fix the problem not duct tape it.
By jay_laz
on 06/14/12 18:39 PM (PDT)

I've had a "trans input speed sensor" fail, which invoked "limp" mode, where the car stays in 2nd gear to avoid getting stranded. Required about 20 minutes on the internet, a $20 part and about 20 minutes to replace. Your experience would sour anyone, but shabby dealer treatment is more concerning than the product problems.