1999 Hyundai Sonata Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
A damn good car to buy
By Jayakumar on 06/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I had an overall very pleasant experience with this car (GLS V6 DOHC). Other than the normal wear and tear associated with a 60+ K car, the car never gave me any other problem. I drive it everyday 12 miles to and fro from work. Not a single serious problem so far. The suspensions are still more comfortable than some new cars I have ridden and the driver seat is just great to drive long distances. I have gone on long drives to other states too. never failed me so far. I love this car.

AVOID
By sebski on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I have had GLS V6 for almost two years now. It had 60K, now 80K. I got screwed because dealer does not honor warranty for second onwer. I replaced: timing belt, all brakes including rotors, battery, tires (which all were a part of a normal maintenance) but spark plugs, wires, sensors, more spark plugs and more wires and all this crap brings only one conclusion: Hyundai is still a terrible quality. I will never buy one anymore. I'll stick with Japanese. Take my advise: don't buy Hyundai. The dealer is very nice, especially when it comes to paying. And they are money suckers!

Got What I Wanted.
By movalncal on 02/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I drove the 4 banger 1999 Sonata and decided to buy the 1999 GLS V6. It's quirky, reliable, and still fun to drive some 5 years later. EARLY in life it did go back to the dealer for warranty repairs (including a replacement transmission shipped in from Korea in 2000) but it's still going. The only negative experience was with the dealer --what some dealers want for the car makes it more than lesser Accords. Play hardball.

Forget it
By dchick on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Hyundai Sonata Sedan 4dr Sedan

The worst car I've ever owned. The problems are so numerous. Replaced timing belt sensor, timing belt, power- window cable, THREE wheel bearings, engine mount bolts. And all of these were not under warranty because of mileage. My car literally fell apart after 60,000 miles. Never again.

300k+ miles
By fansh on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Now @ 301,000 miles. Motor just started to make noise. Trans just started slipping between gears. All orig equip. but for: tune-up/filters, a/c compressor, a/c block, inside fan motor (x3), rad., alt.,on 1st replacement rotors (1st brake job @ dealer @ 80k miles). Still on orig suspension. No motor nor trans work except normal maintenance. Some oil changes @ 10k miles. Remarkable auto to keep up with me.

actually reliable
By karmafarma on 11/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

The 99 sonata is my second Hyundai(the first being a 2000 elantra) and once again I am amazed by how much I like these cars. Contrary to popular opinion regarding the old Hyundai reputation from 1990, my sonata gls has been a delight. The v6 really performs nicely even from a dead stop and still maintains decent mileage overall. A huge leap forward for Hyundai in their struggle to overcome a negative stereotype. Personally, I would buy another one of these in a heartbeat.

A loser
By Ray Wilson on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Sonata Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 38K on it (a major mistake). Hyundai's warranty is good but car has recurring problems. When warranty expires (60K) or 5 yrs) the car starts to literally fall apart. virtually everything but the motor will need to be re-placed. Even stuff fixed under warranty is only good for 12 month period. Don't keep this car after warranty expires, you will be SORRY.

Great Car
By nortonian on 05/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Driving is definitely believing. Test drove all cars in class and this one by far, for value, performance, comfort, and standard equipment outshines them all.

Better be original owner
By mavasauris on 03/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Warning Hyundai does not honor the 100k "America's Best Warranty" If you are not the original owner even if they are problems that have been listed in TSB and are known defects.

Dont Buy!!!!!
By hanger1111 on 01/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Hyundai Sonata Sedan 4dr Sedan

Replaced Ing. Coil 2 times Crankshaft. senseing unit. Crank Belt... Alternator 2 times.. Wont buy Hyundia Again...You get what you payfor I guess