1999 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Good comfort, reliability, economics, value
By jay_laz on 06/14/12 18:25 PM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle in 2002 with 15,000 miles from the original owner's estate. It presently has about 50,000 miles, including 4 cross-country trips from SFO to ORD and back. Hyundai reported no warranty claims prior to my ownership, and I've had none. Owner 1 did only basic maintenence, according to Hyundai records, and I've done the same: oil and filter, coolant, trans and filter, battery, tires. It's a solid, comfortable, reliable, economical and completely practical car, and it's served me well for nearly 10 years. It's not as much fun to drive as my Miata, but I can't carry lumber on a roof rack of a Miata. I'll gladly purchase another Sonata, with even better value.

Pros and Cons but overall, decent value
By FB on 01/08/10 01:29 AM (PST)

1999 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan

I bought new in 1999 at only 84 miles. Now in 2010, I'm at 149,000. 4-cylinder is decent during daily commute and actually smooth and quiet during highway cruising but don't even think about fast lane changes or quick acceleration on entrance ramps. Fuel pump and Tranny were problems during first 50,000 but warranty was in effect. Timing belt replaced after 80,000. Car groans over speed bumps, brakes have always squealed, and paint is chipping now, but other than regular oil changes every 3k, she's had no major repairs in her old age. Still averaging an impressive 28mpg highway today. I'm finally getting another car but this one's lasted longer than I expected.

Sell/Trade after 6-7 years
By sarah on 09/28/09 16:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan

Was happy with my purchase, even though I had a lot of warranty work done on it during the first 5 years. Beginning in the 7th yr., I've dished out more money for repairs than I care to remember, every six months or so. Nothing less than $200 each trip to the service dept! Now, for the past 2 yrs., I'm paying for repairs every other month, in the neighborhood of $700-900 per visit. I've owned other Brands that didn't have the problems I'm having with this Sonato! It drives like a dream, but these costly repairs are a nightmare. Don't think I'll buy another Hyundai. I normally keep a vehicle 10-12 yrs, before buying a new one, but don't think I can put up with these problems much longer!!

Sold ours for $500
By chapchap70 on 06/17/09 22:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan

We bought the car when it had about 60,000 miles on it. My wife drove it basically around town. At about 90,000 miles I thought it needed the wheels aligned but our mechanic said the cradle bolt (sub frame) was rotting out and it was unsafe to drive. The part from the dealers cost $1500. We checked availability from junk yards and the common response was laughter. Since we were not the original owners, Hyundai did not offer any recourse. We sold it to a mechanic who said he would take a chance on it.

Sub-Frame Rust
By Jeff Monroe on 07/14/08 22:25 PM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan

I was surprised to see the review by leon written 1/15/2008. I have just experienced the exact same failure on my Hyundais' front passenger side wheel collapsing. My local dealership also refused to repair my sub-frame rusting under warranty. This seems to be a wide-spread problem. And I too believe this should be repaired under their 10 yr bumper-bumper warranty. The Sonata is a fun, sleek and enjoyable car, but Hyundai often waffles on their warranty coverage; which was one of the major selling points that impacted my purchasing decision. .

Rusted Frame
By Bucknaked on 04/01/08 19:55 PM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan

The car seemed well designed and reliable so I gave it to my daughter. She had a fender bender due to black ice and the repair shop found the engine cradle frame on the right side was almost rusted into. I'm sure it will cost more to fix then the car is worth. I'm sending this as a warning for owners to check out their frames as soon as possible.

Correct
By Marie Jocelyne Lundi on 02/24/08 09:17 AM (PST)

1999 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan

The driving of this car has been normal.It has been reliable wherever I wanted to go with.

sub-frame rust
By leon on 01/15/08 07:54 AM (PST)

1999 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan

within first 18 months, had transmision problems which took 7 months to correct under warrenty. sfter 96000 miles, 8yrs old, entire sub-frame rusted out. refused to cover under warranty, even though cause of rusting is due to manufacture defect.tatally unsafe, when rusting of sub-frame appears, control and steering of vehicle is next to impossible. someone will be killed before Hyundai opens it' eyes.

Car is as good as you take care of it
By Chris B. on 07/28/07 17:18 PM (PDT)

1999 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 4 years ago. I use it to go to and from work. I've had 1 problem (sensor) in 4 years, 50K miles. The person who owned it before me regularly seviced the vehicle, I have done the same. I did not expect a lot out of this car given its history. I can't believe it's still around. Sensors go in any car w/age. You can buy this car now for <$3K. If you know the car has been maintained, I'd give it a try. I took the risk and still have it several years later.

Best car ever
By harrelson marie on 01/04/07 19:01 PM (PST)

1999 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan

i love this vehicle this is by far the best vehicle that i have ever owned

1 2 3 4 5 next »