Used 1998 Hyundai Sonata Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Hyundai Sonata Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

hyundai
By kk92

1998 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

ok so i bought this car used from the credit union and 2 days later the power windows went out. the rotors need to be turned every 3 months whether the brakes are brand new or not. when the power windows mess up the locks mess up and so on. when you lock one door while its running the drivers side window goes down. it has been ok while driving on the highway but when you need a part you have to get them from the dealer like the power windows is dealer only and the transmission fluid is dealer only due to its being a hyundai

OK
By gregjstewart

1998 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

No major problems. Does not let you know you've left your lights on. This can be a problem with weak battery that comes with car. Tires weak on takeoff on wet surfaces.

Price, interior comfort

Chimes for lights left on, stronger battery, better tires

98 Sonata Reliability for less
By vincent1234

1998 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Great experience - no mechanical or transmission problems ever- just oil changes. For the price like driving an accord for half the cost

exterior design- rides like a honda accord

sound proof needs improvements- this car with better tires would drive like a Passat. Too much plastic inside

love this car
By pepperdevil

1998 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car feels big and expensive. I bought it used and spent about 1/2 of what I would have for a new version of a competing car (Accord, Altima, etc.). I have spent the past few years driving from Phoenix to LA and back and this car has taken it like a champ - very comfortable and safe-feeling car. The only problems I have had are the motors on the power windows going bad, the power door locks lock themselves when the weather gets warm (???) and for the life of us, we can't get the brakes to stop sqealing. All bearable to have a car I can rely on and that fits me like a glove.

I love how solid and safe it feels. Big HUGE back seat and trunk.

Some of the powered features (the locks and window motors)need to be more reliable.

It Keeps On Surprising Me
By alliknow4

1998 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

One day some friends of of mind gave ride in this car they had rented, it was 98 Hyundai Sonata I new nothing about them, but I remember getting out of it after they had dropped me off, thinking damn that car really feels good, it good to, it was Mid Night Blue with leather seat V6 in order word Heaven. I now own that same car, I bought it from the rental company that owned it, it's been over a year and as I said it just keeps on getting better. I hear the critics say it cheap, unreliable, and all of that well I don't know what they are talk about...I feel like king in such a beatiful car. Driving really is Believing!

It's Styling Drives like a expensive car Four Disk Brakes Leather, Cruise Control, V6 Engine Powerful, The color (Mid Night Blue) And Five Factory Rims, yes Five not like some other companies that give you this small stupid spare.

They could have made the door panelling Stronger, more resistant