1998 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
hyundai
By kk92 on 05/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Hyundai Sonata GL 4dr Sedan

ok so i bought this car used from the credit union and 2 days later the power windows went out. the rotors need to be turned every 3 months whether the brakes are brand new or not. when the power windows mess up the locks mess up and so on. when you lock one door while its running the drivers side window goes down. it has been ok while driving on the highway but when you need a part you have to get them from the dealer like the power windows is dealer only and the transmission fluid is dealer only due to its being a hyundai

OK
By gregjstewart on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Hyundai Sonata GL 4dr Sedan

No major problems. Does not let you know you've left your lights on. This can be a problem with weak battery that comes with car. Tires weak on takeoff on wet surfaces.

98 Sonata Reliability for less
By vincent1234 on 06/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Hyundai Sonata GL 4dr Sedan

Great experience - no mechanical or transmission problems ever- just oil changes. For the price like driving an accord for half the cost

love this car
By pepperdevil on 06/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Hyundai Sonata GL 4dr Sedan

This car feels big and expensive. I bought it used and spent about 1/2 of what I would have for a new version of a competing car (Accord, Altima, etc.). I have spent the past few years driving from Phoenix to LA and back and this car has taken it like a champ - very comfortable and safe-feeling car. The only problems I have had are the motors on the power windows going bad, the power door locks lock themselves when the weather gets warm (???) and for the life of us, we can't get the brakes to stop sqealing. All bearable to have a car I can rely on and that fits me like a glove.

It Keeps On Surprising Me
By alliknow4 on 03/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan

One day some friends of of mind gave ride in this car they had rented, it was 98 Hyundai Sonata I new nothing about them, but I remember getting out of it after they had dropped me off, thinking damn that car really feels good, it good to, it was Mid Night Blue with leather seat V6 in order word Heaven. I now own that same car, I bought it from the rental company that owned it, it's been over a year and as I said it just keeps on getting better. I hear the critics say it cheap, unreliable, and all of that well I don't know what they are talk about...I feel like king in such a beatiful car. Driving really is Believing!

Not a good car to buy, get the V6!
By markman69 on 01/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Hyundai Sonata GL 4dr Sedan

What ever you do, get the V6 if you are considering buying a used Sonata. The 4-cylinder model lacks in pickup, accelleration, and keeping a constant speed. The Transmission is taxed heavily because of the undersized engine. The car is much too heavy to have a 4 knocker under the hood, it needs at least a 6, maybe even an 8!

would not recommend
By alina on 12/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Hyundai Sonata GL 4dr Sedan

I've had a Sonata for two years and it was only two years old when I bought it. I've had more problems and put more money into fixing it than I ever should have.

UC Purchase
By aliasname on 07/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan

The exterior ressembles many larger, nicer vehicles, that cost more money. That means affordible style to me.