1997 Hyundai Sonata Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
97 sontai
By paul bonnici on 12/01/08 01:33 AM (PST)

1997 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car 2005 and only 50.000 km but no problems so far but some of the parts have broken off

130,000 and still a great car!
By Still a great car! on 04/01/08 11:58 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1997 Sonata 5 1/2 years ago with 80,000 miles at a cash price of $3,500 and it's still a great car! I love it and I'm looking to buy another one. Have not had any major problems with it.

Great car overall.
By Ryan on 12/17/05 02:52 AM (PST)

1997 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I really like this car alot. I drove this car for about a week some time ago and when I heard that the car was for sale I immediatly offered to buy it. What really left an impression on me about this car was the power of the engine. It really seems to make the most of it's 3.0 V6. I've driven cars with comparable engines and this one outperforms them by far. The interior is very comfortable and of good quality. Power windows, locks, moon roof, all nice features to have. Overall, it's a pretty nice car.

good car
By alex fong on 07/16/05 01:00 AM (PDT)

more power is better!

Loved it!
By gr8scotto on 05/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I just "retired" my 1997 Sonata due to a major mechanical problem and was very upset to have to do so because up until this incident this vehicle performed FLAWLESSLY for me. I had absolutely no mechanical problems whatsoever with this car and it was by far the best vehicle I have ever owned up to this point (I am 35 years old)

Make up for the low price in repairs
By Leeann on 06/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Sonata used a couple years ago. It ran fine for about six months. When it hit 100,000 it fell apart. I've had it in the shop about twice a month for the last year and a half. It has been one headache after another. I would recommend that you not touch this car with a 10-foot pole.

Timing distruciton
By bhart on 09/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Sonata Sedan 4dr Sedan

You should get your timing belt changed before you hit the 65000 mark. The car has no saftey engine shut off when the timing belt goes and the engine is therefore ruined and you will need a whole new one because all of the valves get smashed together. I was only in my driveway when mine went without any warning. I turned my car on and boom the timing belt went and so did the engine. Buyer beware.

99,800 and still going
By mtgmaker on 04/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Hyundai Sonata Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I just logged 99,800 miles on my 97 Sonata GLS and I just now had my first problem. A leaky valve cover gasket. Can't ask for much better than that.