Used 1997 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

1997 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Too many repairs!
By Lindsay

1997 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car used five years ago. It had 59,000 miles on it, two owners before me, and looked to be in great shape. I LOVED it. It served me very well driving long-distance back and forth from college. The V6 engine gives it great acceleration (though at the expensive of very low gas mileage) and everything about it started out smooth. It was affordable and a very attractive car. Well, after about a year the paint started coming off. My roof is now completely bald five years later and the lovely red paint is not perfect anywhere except maybe the doors. (Of course I've never parked it in a garage and we have harsh winters.) Then about two years in my entire transmission gave out and had to be replaced - VERY expensive. Almost cost as much as the car itself. Then it was the door handle, then the electric window buttons, then the alternator, then all four brakes at the same time. This is spread out over five years, but I've spent well over $4,000 (what I paid for it) in repairs. And it only has 75,000 miles! Today I found out the spark plugs are in wrong so I have to replace them and some other parts. The engine is really loud and clicks when I drive. The transmission can still be a little rough, and when I have the air conditioning on, my car rocks quite a lot. The passenger window is slow to go up. It seems like from the reviews I've been reading, most people have gotten more miles out of their Sonata, but maybe mine was driven hard before me or just wasn't a good one. I'm very attached to it, and it's served me well, but be wary of all the problems that may come along the road!

97 sontai
By paul bonnici

1997 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car 2005 and only 50.000 km but no problems so far but some of the parts have broken off

sun roof one and two styling and performance and economy and handles wells

better quality and larger petrol tank

130,000 and still a great car!
By Still a great car!

1997 Hyundai Sonata GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1997 Sonata 5 1/2 years ago with 80,000 miles at a cash price of $3,500 and it's still a great car! I love it and I'm looking to buy another one. Have not had any major problems with it.

Dependability - smooth ride.

They've already done them! They have one of the best warranties out there.

Great car overall.
By Ryan

1997 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan

I really like this car alot. I drove this car for about a week some time ago and when I heard that the car was for sale I immediatly offered to buy it. What really left an impression on me about this car was the power of the engine. It really seems to make the most of it's 3.0 V6. I've driven cars with comparable engines and this one outperforms them by far. The interior is very comfortable and of good quality. Power windows, locks, moon roof, all nice features to have. Overall, it's a pretty nice car.

Engine power, moon roof.

cup holder is sort of awkward and in a bad place. does not accomodate most cup sizes (big gulps are an issue). I find it sort of corny how there is a clock on the radio that is seemingly independant of the radio itself. Why not embed an LCD clock into the dash? Not on the radio for no reason..

good car