1997 Hyundai Sonata Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

1997 Sonata Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Sort Reviews by

97 sontai
By paul bonnici

1997 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car 2005 and only 50.000 km but no problems so far but some of the parts have broken off

Favorite Features

sun roof one and two styling and performance and economy and handles wells

Suggested Improvements

better quality and larger petrol tank

130,000 and still a great car!
By Still a great car!

1997 Hyundai Sonata GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1997 Sonata 5 1/2 years ago with 80,000 miles at a cash price of $3,500 and it's still a great car! I love it and I'm looking to buy another one. Have not had any major problems with it.

Favorite Features

Dependability - smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

They've already done them! They have one of the best warranties out there.

Great car overall.
By Ryan

1997 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan

I really like this car alot. I drove this car for about a week some time ago and when I heard that the car was for sale I immediatly offered to buy it. What really left an impression on me about this car was the power of the engine. It really seems to make the most of it's 3.0 V6. I've driven cars with comparable engines and this one outperforms them by far. The interior is very comfortable and of good quality. Power windows, locks, moon roof, all nice features to have. Overall, it's a pretty nice car.

Favorite Features

Engine power, moon roof.

Suggested Improvements

cup holder is sort of awkward and in a bad place. does not accomodate most cup sizes (big gulps are an issue). I find it sort of corny how there is a clock on the radio that is seemingly independant of the radio itself. Why not embed an LCD clock into the dash? Not on the radio for no reason..

good car
By alex fong

more power is better!

good

Suggested Improvements

need more power

Loved it!
By gr8scotto

1997 Hyundai Sonata GL 4dr Sedan

I just "retired" my 1997 Sonata due to a major mechanical problem and was very upset to have to do so because up until this incident this vehicle performed FLAWLESSLY for me. I had absolutely no mechanical problems whatsoever with this car and it was by far the best vehicle I have ever owned up to this point (I am 35 years old)

Favorite Features

Favorite feature was the power moonroof. Also loved the sporty design with front and rear spoilers.

Suggested Improvements

The ONLY issue I was concerned about (though it never caused serious problems) was that in extremely cold weather the automatic transmission would "lock up" and would not shift into drive until the car warmed up for 2-3 minutes.

Make up for the low price in repairs
By Leeann

1997 Hyundai Sonata GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Sonata used a couple years ago. It ran fine for about six months. When it hit 100,000 it fell apart. I've had it in the shop about twice a month for the last year and a half. It has been one headache after another. I would recommend that you not touch this car with a 10-foot pole.

Timing distruciton
By bhart

1997 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan

You should get your timing belt changed before you hit the 65000 mark. The car has no saftey engine shut off when the timing belt goes and the engine is therefore ruined and you will need a whole new one because all of the valves get smashed together. I was only in my driveway when mine went without any warning. I turned my car on and boom the timing belt went and so did the engine. Buyer beware.

Favorite Features

It looks nice.

Suggested Improvements

Go to a timing chain or a saftey shut off of the engin when the timing belt snaps because the whole engine is toast when that belt goes. In my opinion the car is a disposable vehical.

99,800 and still going
By mtgmaker

1997 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan

I just logged 99,800 miles on my 97 Sonata GLS and I just now had my first problem. A leaky valve cover gasket. Can't ask for much better than that.

Suggested Improvements

Move the cup holder... they did. More powerful engine...they did.