1995 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
reliable, but unexciting Sonata II
By American in Korea on 05/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan

My father-in-law gave me this car with about 100,000 km. It's not the nicest car I've ever driven, but it is VERY reliable. It has never broken down on me. It starts up in the snow and cold no matter what. So far, all I've replaced has been a battery, distributor cap, and plugs. Getting work done on Korean cars in Korea is dirt cheap, so that is a plus. Same problem with power door lock gremlins. They lock and unlock on their own all the time. When I get out without my keys, I make sure to roll down the window first! It has 155,000 km. (nearly 100,000 mi.) on it now and should be strong for much more.

Impressed
By Brudzio on 05/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Hyundai Sonata GL 4dr Sedan

Bought new and still driving 9 yrs later. Fun to drive, especially at 190km/h. Had front crash at 80 km/h miraculously nothing happened to us, car took all the impact and was severed. Mechanically excellent and snappy. Body mouldings rust inside and swell - had to replace 2 times. Door locks rust & freeze, takes time to get in - can turn the key, however can't open. Hardware falls apart (sunshades, door knobs). Upgraded stereo to Hyundai CD combo - far much better sound. A/C still works well. Fuel tank rusted - had to rebuild. Manual tranny rebuilt in 5th year, wheel bearings noisy. Overall quite positive experience

Hyundai Sonata
By paul the driver on 08/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Hyundai Sonata GL V6 4dr Sedan

I bought the car at aroudn 50,000 miles and now it had 100,000 miles the car performed very well untill about 90,000 and then everythign just started falling apart i spend maybe 3,000 on repairs and currently my transmission only has 3rd gear i will redline on a highway at 90mph i cant take turns at more then 25mph or it will skid out i dont recomend buying a hyundai i would rather have a civic then this car

Not worth it
By Jasmine on 05/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Hyundai Sonata GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because I had no choice - it was the only one available that I could afford. It has given me nothing but problems - the brakes went out (twice), it rattles terribly, it stalls when the a/c is on (and sometimes when it's not), and the interior fogs up when the heat is on. However, it does get good gas mileage and it is comfortable. But I will not buy another Hyundai.

not a lemon
By sonata user on 03/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Hyundai Sonata GL 4dr Sedan

I had problems with my auto transmission, I did not have the transmission coolant flushed, so it overheated eventually and killed the transmission, bought a new one, still going strong. Had a fault with the auto door locks, sometimes they would lock without warning when I got out of the car, locking my keys in. The brakes have lasted forever on this car, confortable ride even on the worst frost-heaved roads. My only complaint has been expensive parts/ unavailability of parts. Right now I need a valve cover gasket, and none of the dealers can get it for me.

Awesome!
By James II on 01/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Hyundai Sonata GL V6 4dr Sedan

i hate someone to blame this car just based on some trivial problems. so comfortable and smooth in driving. i paid $2300 at 120000 miles. still working well and too silent to feel i am driving. i bought it in NJ and drove it to FL about 1300miles. still has no problem.

Great car fot the price
By jonas on 10/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Hyundai Sonata GL 4dr Sedan

Its a very great car for the price, I have paid 3500$ CAN, a civic 92 worth 3500$ CAN. and I can tell you that the sonata 95 is better on all points. Its smooth and with the 5 speed model, the mitsubitshi (137 hp) respond very well. At 175 000K the motor lools like a new one!.

Best Of The Best
By Likewise on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan

If this car in not better than HOnda Accord, Then Accord is not either. Very Cool Car. Loved it. Highly reccomended, Cheap Price, compatible.....Beautiful.....

It's falling apart
By jonsie on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my hyundai one week and the next week my timing belt blew, mytrunk lock broke my glove box lock broke my passenger side door handle broke. never buy a used hyundai

Better than expected...
By Pinkfire on 03/03/02 15:26 PM (PST)

1995 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan

I purchased this Sonata new. It had a five-speed, A/C and no other power options. The first repair was at 97K, for a new clutch. At 125K, maintenance has included a timing belt every 60K, rebuilt starter and alternator, new water pump, etc. Dealer service went down hill when my local dealer changed hands. The second timing belt service was vastly overpriced, and several non-factory parts were used.