1993 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Review: 1993 Sonata/STD/5-speed trans

1993 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

1993 Sonata/STD/5-speed trans
By Sonata01 on

1993 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan

I bought my Sonata brand new in 1994 (it was leftover stock from 1993) for the price of a used Ford Tempo. In other words, I got a real bargain on a brand new car (I knew the risk I was taking on Hyundai in the early 90s). Ten years later, I still own the car, and haven't spent a penny on anything but oil, fuel, and windshield wiper fluid. I bought the base version, which came with standard air conditioning (still works), tilt steering wheel, and a good stereo. The interior is quite roomy and the driver's seat has a height adjustment for short drivers.

Remote trunk release, remote fuel door release. Electronic (automatic) seatbelts: Good for old passengers, who find it difficult to reach behind the seat and grab the belt. The lap portion is very easy to attach.

Fifth gear should be more of an overdrive gear. At 60 MPH, the engine turns at close to 3000 RPM, which makes for good throttle response, but isn't great on gas and doesn't seem appropriate for a family sedan.