1993 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Review: Not so hot

1993 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Review

GLS Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Not so hot
By Ryan Usher on

1993 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan

This was my first car, and the two yeas I owned it were an exercise in frustration. When the thing was working, it drove pretty well. Handling and brakes were decent. The interior was uncomfortable, and at least half of the controls stopped working within six months. Fuel economy was so-so. My main problem with this car was the terrible reliability, I had it in the shop eight times in two years, and for some big problems: Transmission, alternator, starter, and finally the engine failed, costing me a total of twice the price I paid for the car, before I called it quits and donated it to charity.

I could have had a less-stylish car for my first. There really wasn't anything really great about it, and it wasn't in total running shape often enough for me to get any enjoyment out of it.

I understand Hyundais are better cars now, but my experience with the 93 Sonata soured me enough that I don't think I will ever buy another car from that manufacturer again.