Missing the Mark, but still a nice car.
By michelangelo7 on
2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)
I purchased my 2012 Sonata Hybrid new from the dealership. This was my first "fancy" car, as I had always gone either base model or used in the past due to financial difficulty, but I was finally in a position to spoil myself a bit, and was able to justify my expense in the fuel savings, or so I though... Highway miles truly are 38-40, and I can even get that if "cruising", but only if the weather is nice, and traffic is light. Here in the Midwest we get temperature extremes which effect the fuel economy a great deal, and stop and go city driving averages 32 mpg which is no where near what they had advertised. My friends all say I drive like an old man too, so I know it's not just me...
Favorite Features
In my honest opinion this is one of the nicest looking hybrid's out there, I looked at plenty different options before my purchase and this stacked up pretty close to the Toyota Camry, or the Kia sister version of this car. Ultimately I was won over by the financing options combined with technology package of the Hyundai. It still erks me about the MPG difference between sticker and real life, but Hyundai does have have a generous reimbursement package, but only for first time owners.
Suggested Improvements
I don't understand how a major auto manufacturer could have an "error" in their fuel economy ratings that is so blatantly off, and the KIA commercial for the Optima sister car, advertising potential MPG of 80+ is sickening. You can plan on resale value being effected by real life fuel economy vs. sticker, unless the seller is going to just lie to the next guy as Hyundai did to begin with. I also have experienced a bit of the "lurching", but only when in "blue drive" mode (which is their eco), and just starting up, something weird going on there. Other than those two major flaws, it would be nice if the sonata, elantra, and accent didn't all look exactly the same in slightly different sizes.