2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid 6-speed Automatic - (33 reviews )
Great Hybrid Car, But not great MPG
By vijayrkp on 08/27/12 12:11 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I bought 2012 Sonata Hybrid last week, I drove on the local roads & highway, It's averaging 36. I was expecting 40mpg on highway, but it was 38 only on highway. Car has great interior, beautiful exterior, comfort ride. I love it. I guess, the mileage will improve after 1st oil change.. not sure, will see. Still 36 is okay mileage compare to other cars.

2012 Sonata Hybrid Standard
By palomies on 08/26/12 12:23 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Took delivery of my new Sonata Hybrid on July 18. Very happy with car so far. Five tankfuls of fuel have given me an average over 39 MPG...if the tank is mostly highway driving I get average over 40, if mostly city/errands and such about 36. No problem with switching between electric and gas engine. I think there may be a learning curve to learning to drive the car for the most economy as sometimes the gas engine will come in pretty strongly, especially in hilly terrain. Car is very comfortable for long drives, my bulged discs don't even know! (to be fair, my '07 Sonata was the same way). The handling may not be quite as good as my last Sonata, but this one also feels much bigger.

And the 2nd tank is in
By jay357 on 08/07/12 14:05 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

As I previously reported my first tank was 28 mpg. Now I have added fuel for the 2nd time and my mileage is 37mpg combined just like the sticker said. So I don't know what the Edmunds tester problems are. I also notice my tires only had 30 psi in them, so I aired them up to 40 psi and am hoping to net another 3 mpg. Edmunds comments about quirky hybrid. I disagree, most of the time you can't tell when it shifts from gas to electric or vice versa. Occasionally you can feel it but even then it just feels like an automatic transmission shift.

Love it so far
By jay357 on 08/06/12 08:27 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Bought the last 2012 Hybrid on the lot. Incentives were good enough to get what I considered a "fair" deal. Rides better than the Chrysler 300 I traded in, but to be fair the Chrysler had 20" wheels and this has 16's so the difference in tire sidewall could account for a lot of the ride. Gas mileage on the first tank was only 28 mpg(still 7 mpg better than the 300) with an equal mix of city/hwy. I am sure it will improve although I haven't fueled yet this week to see what the 2nd full tank will show. But just the fact that I have driven 1000 miles on two tanks of fuel is something the 300 would never have accomplished.

I love this vehicle! No regrets!
By 2004xlt on 07/28/12 06:13 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

The critics review of this hybrid game me doubts, but my own personal experience in the first 5K confirmed that I made an excellent choice! I drive both city and highway miles and saving a fortune on gas. I'm averaging 38 mpg. The mpg automatically resets when you refuel. Occasionally the transition from electric to gas engine is noticeable, but I wouldn't describe it as "quirky" like the critics suggest. I have never even noticed the braking issue that they describe. This car does not go unnoticed and draws a lot of attention.

Bugs Fixed
By kamana06 on 06/30/12 09:17 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Shortly after purchase of the hybrid with the electronic package had multiple problems with hybrid system...Finally, after several engineering "fixes" the hybrid function has been as expected for the past 20,000 miles of California driving..I have not experienced any noticeable problem with the transition from electric to motor nor any meaningful problem with braking performance. Overall I think this car is a good combination of price, exterior design, and amenities without paying a premium for an upscale "badge."

This car = money
By dc23 on 06/06/12 14:35 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Bottom line over half my car payment is going to be made by the money I am saving on gasoline. I have gone from driving a truck that gets 15mpg on its best day to a car that I can see is getting 38mpg in the city and over 40mpg on my 25mile trip home from work. I am extremely pleased with the handling. It has a smooth transition from electric to gas engine. Most of the time I don't even know it happened. I did go with the leather package and I am extremely pleased with the interior design. Plenty of room, and stylish. The exterior design is great as well with a cool set of lights. I would love to have a different set of wheels but that is avail. for a little more money. Very satisfied!

Roomiest Fun-to-Drive Hybrid Sedan on the Market
By r_l_r on 04/01/12 18:58 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

The Hyundai Sonata Hybrid is the best package of attractive styling, smooth handling, excellent mileage and comfort among hybrid sedans in the US. I found with slight care its easy to get over 40 mpg on the highway and overall 38+mpg. Features that reduce the mpg are using heated seats and interior heater in the winter or full AC in the summer. However, using the "econ" feature with the heating/cooling one easily achieves 38 mpg overall or better. The jitteriness at low speeds was resolved with the first service when the computer system was upgraded to remove some of the hesitency between use of EV and gas engine modes. Update is free and resolves issues raised in some initial reviews.

Not Ready For Prime Time
By richvaguy on 03/29/12 14:50 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I have had the car a month and believe I have driven it enough to get a true feel. On the hwy it is excellent, good response great gas 39+mpg, good ride and comfort. Now for the not so good. The car is dangerous to drive, hesitates badly between 0-25mph, shudders and shakes the entire car when transitioning from Electric to Gas. Impossible to get close to advertised city MPG. I try to drive as gentle as possible to stay in EV mode, the slightest touch on the pedal and it goes to gas thus decreasing MPG. Lucky to get 30mpg in city driving. Gauges hang up and read 0 mpg in EV (electric vehicle) mode. Should read 50mpg.

Great car with UNBELIEVABLE LOOKS
By donnie13 on 03/25/12 05:37 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

My second Sonata Hybrid. Bought a 2011 and loved the car. Took one with gray interior so I could have it sooner. Traded for 2012 with tan interior and absolutely love this car. Everywhere I go, people ask what kind of car is that? I got the optional dual sunroof with leather in Pearl white. It looks and feels like a BMW. I have had. and do have many cars including an Audi A8L and an E550 coupe and find myself jumping in this car most of the time! The gas mileage is great and dealership experience was the best I've experienced. (Universal Hyundai Orlando)

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan in VA is:

$130 per month*