Used 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid 6-speed Automatic - (34 reviews )

Awesome and It gets the MPG+
By hisliving

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I read all of the Edmunds review. In a very minor way, i saw a small bit ogf the "lurching". Nothing I would not have expected at all...very very minor. I proudly got 38.5 driving to and in the mountains. Upon return, I recevived 42.5 mpg due to less hilly route upon return. Best vehicle coice I have made. Price, value, MPG, comfort and style!! looks awesome!!!

Looks, comfort, MPG,

More user friendly navigation. My phone navigation seems easier to use, But I admit I have not read the manual!

Smooth Riding Hybrid That is Safe and Smooth
By ohio_pop

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I have driving cars for over 45 years and this is the best car overall that I have owned. I find the electronics intuitive. It takes only a short time to learn the significance of the beeping signals from this car. I found that after driving the car for about 10 days that I know how to apply gas for smooth as silk acceleration and how to brake smoothly. Overall, I have found the car to be at its best and the most fun to drive on highways and suburban and rural roads where you can consistently drive over 35 MPH. At constant speeds between 35 and 55 MPH, you can get 45+MPG. The car gets more like 30-34MPG in stop-go slow speed driving. Overall, I have averaged a bit over 40 MPG.

Good mileage, particularly for constant speeds above 35mph. Very comfortable seats Excellent people room, particularly for the driver and front passenger. Trunk space is very functional for luggage and groceries Environmental "Auto" controls are very effective - the car will not blast air that is too hot or too cold - it waits until the heater/cooler has gotten the air to the right temperature before blowing at high speed. I find the Bluetooth to be very effective for hand-free phone use.

No major detractions.

2012 Sonata Hybrid
By sonatahybrid65

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Just picked up the new car this week. Received rebates, 0% for 60 months and nice discount. Have driven the car about 500 miles and am averaging 39 MPG. I love this car so far, the technology is amazing. It drive and rides very nice. Drove it about 250 miles first day on turnpike, 70 mph with no problems. Its not as powerful as my 2007 Sonata with V6, but the mileage is a good trade off.

Blue Link Technology is great. Like the proximity key and push button start. Leather heated seats are very comfortable.

Not so happy with the looks of the wheels. Wish there were different options. Wanted navigation, but couldn't get without sun roof. Need more choices of options.

Reasonable compromise for a Boomer
By glh2576

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

We acquired a 2012 Sonata Hybrid after looking at many options in this price/category. the Sonata is comfortable to drive and ride in, fairly quite and gets OK (but not nearly the EPA MPG) gas mileage. I've put about 2500 miles on it and it is averaging about 30 MPG in mostly in-town driving which is where it should be using the battery the most so I was expecting better MPG. ANY in-town hill gives it a challenge as it tries to go from battery to motor. Build quality is good so far. Rear seats are comfortable. Highway cruising is good.

Driver's seat is quite comfortable. BlueLink system works well and easily links between my cell phone and the car's speaker system - it even automatically turns on the speakers when the phone gets an incoming call and the radio is off.

Passenger seat is low and does not have a way to raise it. Seats are heated but the button does not default to "off" when the car is turned off which our SUV did and which we thought was better than the Hyundai. The hybrid battery takes up a lot of space (which we knew) and also means that the rear seats will not fold down so if carrying larger items is on your agenda this hybrid will not work for you. Most of the time this is not an issue but you should check. Hyundai should be more honest with the MPG for the hybrid - improving the mileage was a key selling point and in this regard this vehicle is somewhat disappointing.

Couldn't be happier!
By suzieq57

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I've had my 2012 Hybrid Sonata (premium trim - the $32,000 vehicle) for 1 month now. Great car. I've been getting at least 41 mpg average on both mixed city and highway driving. I don't have any problems with breaking or the shifting from electric to gas like I've seen some reviews here say. Did I say great car? I'm so happy that I bought it. I have the metallic blue, premium hybrid. The design outside is to die for - I've had so many compliments. It is roomy inside and very comfortable. I can't say enough about it. I love the panoramic sunroof, the navigation, the Blue link, and of course the wheels. Very sharp car.

The sharpness of the overall look of the car. The mpg is doing well. Of course, I don't have the mpg of the prius that also sits in my garage. But, I'd rather drive a sharp looking car than the look of the prius. Of course, I have a great warranty, as well. Since I live in the midwest and the warm weather is right around the corner, I'm anxious to see my mpg when the warm weather hits.

None so far.