2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid 6-speed Automatic - (31 reviews )
Reasonable compromise for a Boomer
By glh2576 on 03/05/13 07:28 AM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

We acquired a 2012 Sonata Hybrid after looking at many options in this price/category. the Sonata is comfortable to drive and ride in, fairly quite and gets OK (but not nearly the EPA MPG) gas mileage. I've put about 2500 miles on it and it is averaging about 30 MPG in mostly in-town driving which is where it should be using the battery the most so I was expecting better MPG. ANY in-town hill gives it a challenge as it tries to go from battery to motor. Build quality is good so far. Rear seats are comfortable. Highway cruising is good.

Couldn't be happier!
By suzieq57 on 02/24/13 15:54 PM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I've had my 2012 Hybrid Sonata (premium trim - the $32,000 vehicle) for 1 month now. Great car. I've been getting at least 41 mpg average on both mixed city and highway driving. I don't have any problems with breaking or the shifting from electric to gas like I've seen some reviews here say. Did I say great car? I'm so happy that I bought it. I have the metallic blue, premium hybrid. The design outside is to die for - I've had so many compliments. It is roomy inside and very comfortable. I can't say enough about it. I love the panoramic sunroof, the navigation, the Blue link, and of course the wheels. Very sharp car.

With intelligent driving, this car delivers excellent mileage
By ohio_pop on 02/15/13 09:24 AM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I have 2 Sonata hybrids a 2011&12. The cars are roomy and provide excellent comfort. The ride is extremely smooth especially on the highway. For folks larger than petite or who have joint mobility issues, this car provides the most driver/front passenger leg room and ease of entry and exit. The controls are intuitive and the beeping signals - engine on/off, key in car etc easy to follow - somewhat similar to how a pet would communicate with you. The trick to getting excellent mileage is to use cruise control as much as possible - even in city traffic. This maximizes use of the electric vs. gas engine. I consistently get >40 mpg-see fueleconomy.gov OH entries. Luv driving this car!

Flashy sales pitch, poor result
By redrockrover on 02/12/13 15:44 PM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Leased this car on the premise of great features together with great MPG. Traded in my old gas-guzzling SUV for "great" gas mileage. First tank lasted 550 miles, I was elated. After that my MPG has been taking a dump. I was quite surprised because my driving style is very cautious, even boring. My lowest whole tank average gas mileage at fill up was 16mpg. Absolutely pathetic, I should have gotten a truck. Got sold on comfy seats and sticker MPG. I expected the mileage to be less than sticker but not like this. If you live anywhere that gets cold, and you don't do lots of long distance driving, avoid this vehicle like the plague. I am counting the days until it disappears from my life.

Blulink Remote Starter Problem
By alejandromg85 on 01/11/13 07:05 AM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

When using the remote starter to warm the car in the winter the car doesn't warm up cause it always start in hybrid mode. As everybody knows the heater works with the hot water of the engine, if the engine doesn't start the water never warms up. I let the dealer know and they didn't do anything about it. So, a 30.000 dollars car can't keep you warm in the winter =S

Car pulls to the left and Rough change from gas to hybrid
By alejandromg85 on 01/11/13 06:53 AM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I bought a 2012 Sonata hybrid 3 months ago. I loved the car as soon as I saw it. When I started driving it there were no problems at all. After 1 month the car started being pulled to the left. Dealer said nothing wrong with it. Now when driving in hybrid mode the car has a vibration and shakes hard when change to gas. Dealer said nothing wrong with it. I don't really like the car with that problems. The price was 30.000 dollars and they were supposed to fix the problem. I'm gonna keep it cause is my first new car and I don't have any other option since Hyundai was the only dealer that gave me a 0.9% rate to own it. Interior and comfort is 10/10. Design is 10/10.

ALMOST HAPPY
By baddog6 on 09/20/12 07:23 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Traded my Town And Country in July and in agreement with most of the positive reviews but very unhappy with a rapid jerking on acceleration from lower speed.Does not feel like shifting or transittion from gas to elect. and does not do it all the time. Took to dealer and it ran fine and was told no reports of any problems then found edumonds review on line so don"t know what to think.Have bought over 20 cars and not had this problem and don't want it now.

pretty good start
By tdinsight on 09/15/12 09:05 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Bought this car about 3 months ago after test driving vs Optima and Camry hybrids. The assembly and ride are very nice with pleanty of room for me at 6'3" and a very usable rear seat. There are complaints about the car being jerky of the line. Only happened once to me merging into traffic while turning and ICE kicked in chirping a tire. Brakes are a little nonlinear but never felt unable to stop smoothly or agressively if needed. Open road fuel efficiency is very good with electric mode frequently running half a mile or so on the freeway. Traffic mpg not so great especially in 20-40 mph range. I average about 36 mpg but can be significantly less. More like 44 on a couple trips.

Great Hybrid Car, But not great MPG
By vijayrkp on 08/27/12 12:11 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I bought 2012 Sonata Hybrid last week, I drove on the local roads & highway, It's averaging 36. I was expecting 40mpg on highway, but it was 38 only on highway. Car has great interior, beautiful exterior, comfort ride. I love it. I guess, the mileage will improve after 1st oil change.. not sure, will see. Still 36 is okay mileage compare to other cars.

2012 Sonata Hybrid Standard
By palomies on 08/26/12 12:23 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Took delivery of my new Sonata Hybrid on July 18. Very happy with car so far. Five tankfuls of fuel have given me an average over 39 MPG...if the tank is mostly highway driving I get average over 40, if mostly city/errands and such about 36. No problem with switching between electric and gas engine. I think there may be a learning curve to learning to drive the car for the most economy as sometimes the gas engine will come in pretty strongly, especially in hilly terrain. Car is very comfortable for long drives, my bulged discs don't even know! (to be fair, my '07 Sonata was the same way). The handling may not be quite as good as my last Sonata, but this one also feels much bigger.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan in NJ is:

$194 per month*