Used 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Sonata-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid 6-speed Automatic - (33 reviews )

terrible experience
By gesiggie

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I bought my 2012 Sonata Hybrid last year and was originally very pleased with it, with the exception of the seat design. The headrest comes too far out and pushes your head forward. I could get over that, though. What I can not get over is the shuddering that began just over a month ago. I've had it into the dealership 4 times, and after upgrading the software which didn't solve the issue, they tell me the shuddering I experience every time I stop is 'normal'. The drive is no longer 'fun', but stressful, as I brace myself each time I see a stop sign. It's a rough ride for driver and passengers alike. I would not recommend this car to anyone. Sadly, I'm stuck with mine.

Favorite Features

Exterior sporty look.

Suggested Improvements

The mysterious shuddering needs to be addressed.

Finally Got it Right!
By gilbertgirl47

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Purchased 2012 Hybrid in Aug 2012. Loved it. After a week, it started 'lurching' sometimes and the gas mileage wasn't what I expected. After complaints to the dealership my car's computer(s) was upgraded twice at no charge and now I get great mileage and no more lurching. Drive 60% in town and 40% highway. I average 37mpg but on long road trips get 39-42mpg, sometimes higher. Have seen 50mpg. Hubby loves to drive my car more than his! One reason we chose Sonata is that three of our grandchildren can ride in back with no problem. Stylish, fun to drive, roomy and we love it! The trunk in the hybrid is smaller than the regular Sonata, but plenty of room for luggage for a road trip for 2.

Favorite Features

Interior design, abundant leg room, comfortable seats in front and back, dual air controls in front (for driver and front passenger) and separate controls in back. Windows can be opened/closed after car has shut off (but before door is opened). Love the silent electric engine. That caused many startled looks when we first got it. No engine noise when first on and rolling at a low speed. Key-less entry and key-less start button. Wonderful warranty. No premium gas required! Exterior design is beautiful, too. Very sleek.

Suggested Improvements

Please make the front passenger seat with electric adjustment controls to raise/lower the seat. Right now, it only slides forward or backward and the tilt controls with a lever. I feel like I am sitting in a bucket when my husband is driving and I am in the passenger seat (I am 5'5") in both his Sonata and my Sonata Hybrid. Still, it is a comfortable bucket! Other than that, I love it just the way it is. Waited to post my review until the bugs were out and I had a chance to drive it for awhile. I would buy it all over again, especially since I think they have ironed out the problems in the newest hybrid model. A great car with a wonderful lifetime battery!

Bad Mileage....Worse Customer Support
By badsaturn

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I own a 2012 Sonota Hybrid Limited. I am currently getting 24mpg in city driving. I have done all of the service upgrades recommended by this forum and it's readers. I met with a field rep today to discuss the poor mileage. He told me as long as I get 23mpg or better Hyundai won't do anything for me. I have spent numerous hours on the phone with Hyundai and several trips to dealerships without any effect. Sorry, that is not good enough...this is the third Hyundai we have purchased since 2010. One would think Hyundai would value me as a customer. Apparently not. Too bad....I like the car other than the mileage. Hyundai does not stand by their customers based on my experience. Won't buy again.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage like a Prius...Better sound insulation for road noise.

Missing the Mark, but still a nice car.
By michelangelo7

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I purchased my 2012 Sonata Hybrid new from the dealership. This was my first "fancy" car, as I had always gone either base model or used in the past due to financial difficulty, but I was finally in a position to spoil myself a bit, and was able to justify my expense in the fuel savings, or so I though... Highway miles truly are 38-40, and I can even get that if "cruising", but only if the weather is nice, and traffic is light. Here in the Midwest we get temperature extremes which effect the fuel economy a great deal, and stop and go city driving averages 32 mpg which is no where near what they had advertised. My friends all say I drive like an old man too, so I know it's not just me...

Favorite Features

In my honest opinion this is one of the nicest looking hybrid's out there, I looked at plenty different options before my purchase and this stacked up pretty close to the Toyota Camry, or the Kia sister version of this car. Ultimately I was won over by the financing options combined with technology package of the Hyundai. It still erks me about the MPG difference between sticker and real life, but Hyundai does have have a generous reimbursement package, but only for first time owners.

Suggested Improvements

I don't understand how a major auto manufacturer could have an "error" in their fuel economy ratings that is so blatantly off, and the KIA commercial for the Optima sister car, advertising potential MPG of 80+ is sickening. You can plan on resale value being effected by real life fuel economy vs. sticker, unless the seller is going to just lie to the next guy as Hyundai did to begin with. I also have experienced a bit of the "lurching", but only when in "blue drive" mode (which is their eco), and just starting up, something weird going on there. Other than those two major flaws, it would be nice if the sonata, elantra, and accent didn't all look exactly the same in slightly different sizes.

Very comfort ride but poor gas consumption
By gleung81

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I was attracted by the high tech package and the exterior design. Very well designed on the looking. But absolutely disappointed with the MPG. I knew the MPG will be off a bit from the sticker, but didn't expect THAT MUCH of a difference. Sticker states 5.2L/100km combined, I am getting 7.1 - 7.3L/100km. This is no where near to the sticker MPG. I am a gentle driver, so it's not my driving style issue. Acceleration response time is slow, need to give an extra 1 - 2 second when making a left. I wasn't aware of this when I had my test drive, start to realize as I drive it daily. Not sure if this is common for all hybrid. Alignment is starting to pull to the left after 2 weeks.