The issue is MPG
By ritpg on
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)
As the former owner of a 2003 Camry XLE, I would not say Hyundai is quite up the the Toyota standard. For example, the the buttons on the steering wheel feel flimsy compared to the Camry. There are times when some buttons have to pushed more than once to activate such as the unlock button on the driver side door. In the case of the Sonata hybrid, my conclusion is that this model was rushed to market and not ready for "prime time". The gas mileage has deteriorated significantly. There have been many service calls (all paid for by Hyundai). So far Hyundai is not standing behind this car as I continue to navigate through their service maze.
Favorite Features
I like the unique lighting of the hybrid model, the body styling and construction, blue tooth and iPod connectivity. The seats are comfortable with good lateral support. And I like not having to pull a key or pod out of my pocket to open the doors and start the engine.
Suggested Improvements
The number one needed improvement is consistenridrcy in gas mileage. I am presently getting worse mileage with the hybrid than a colleague is getting with the non-hybrid Sonata. Transition between EV (electric) and gas mode at moderate speed also needs to be improved. There is a very strong feel of surge in this speed range. Hyundai needs to spend a little more money of the feel of its "knob-ology". Buttons feels flimsy compared to Toyota.