My Sonata Hybrid is a major disappointment
By bnaiman on
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)
I previously had a Toyota Camry Hybrid that I consistanly got 31 mpg in town. My new Sonata gives me about 22 to 24 mpg. I have had it in 3 times and they always tell me that everything is performing as it should and that I am the only one who has complained. I was also told by a mechanic that I could do just as well with the regular Sonata for les money. I made a terrible mistake in buying this car but for them to tell me that they have not had any complaints is an insult.
By alex3540
on 12/16/11 10:50 AM (PST)

A hybrid vehicle will not achieve any better fuel economy then a regular gas version if the driver does not learn to drive differently. you need to understand how the system works before jumping into a hybrid. Word of advise, if you plan on spending money for a hybrid and are unfamiliar with the technology make sure you have a salesperson that can teach you the basics. You will have to learn to drive all over again.

By hasbro_t
on 10/06/11 15:00 PM (PDT)

I had Similar results on my mileage when I first got my Sonata. About 24-25 MPG but I was running my AC as I did when I had my Charger and Corvette, basically all the time. I am in the So Cal Desert and it was 105+ for a large stretch of my summer purchase. I had zero ECO points during that period. I tried driving it without AC for a full tank to see how that affect my city mileage and tried to “earn” eco point by getting the 8 bars and was surprised to find I got just over 37 MPG on that tank. That was suffering through some heat. Now I use the AC when I need to and roll down the windows when I can and am getting 33-34 mpg. Below is a link to a good/interesting forum. http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-sonata-yf-hybrid/128563-fun-eco-points.html