I like it
By rickdaine on
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)
I purchased the car as in between the super gas miser and luxury car. I just came off a 3000 mile plus trip driving straight through 25 hours each way and the comfort, drive-ability and economy spoke for itself. My passenger also agreed, 25 hours sitting in a car is not easy but certainly attainable in the Sonata and my body is 73 years of age. I averaged 39 to 42 miles per gallon driving 70 MPH with the A/C on. We drove in extremely heavy interstate traffic and the car performed wonderfully. The steering is quicker and tighter than I like it but not a problem. City driving fuel mileage leaves some to be desired, I really do not find it much better than the regular Sonata, about 25 MPG.
Favorite Features
I do like the way the controls are laid out, no reaching is required, most everything is within easy reach. The Blue Tooth phone operation worked well and easy to use. The hybrid graphics add to the interest and fun of driving. The A/C system works especially well, generally to cold, sun & heat from the outside did not cause a problem with temperature comfort although the dealer did tint the windows.
Suggested Improvements
Memory seats should be an available option on all cars of today. Multiple drivers are of all sizes and require constant changing of seat position's. The seat controls are not easily accessible and some cannot be used without opening the door. Passenger front seat electronics would also be nice, the manual passenger seat sits way to low, I raised it with shims about two inches and it is still low. The six speed transmission is great but the initial start between electric and gas needs to be worked on, not smooth at all. City fuel consumption needs to be greatly improved.
By rickdaine
on 10/27/11 05:03 AM (PDT)

30 day after posting follow up. My wife and I have learned to drive for economy and are now getting the 35 to 36 MPG in city driving with the A.C. on. Living in Florida affords no other way. I am taking the car in today for a recall notice that is supposed to take care of the engine light on problem and software adjustment that allegedly will increase our fuel economy even more. I will point out that we are retired and are not jumping on the throttle for jack rabbit starts, we have the time. The younger generation may not be able to afford the time of slow even starts and using the battery to propel the car as much as possible. That is the secret to 35 MPG city driving. We are two month owners with 5500 miles on the car and we are not sorry yet that we bought this car.

By hasbro_t
on 09/23/11 13:57 PM (PDT)

I had the same results with city mpg. We had a summer of 105-110 degrees so ran the AC constantly. The last time I tilled up, I decided to suck it up and not run the AC at all (cheated twice) and with work on the feathered driving I put 454 miles on the tank, refilled it with 12 gallons thus averaged just under 38 MPG exclusively in the city. That was some hot driving with windows down. Next tank will be a hybrid with more AC for comfort, even at 25-30mpg, still beats my Charger SRT.