I hate my Sonata Hybrid
By txteacher1 on
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)
We bought this car for me since I am on the road more than my husband. The gas mileage is significantly lower than promised. I am so disappointed since that is the major reason we purchased this car. My husband drives it now. We like the back up camera (we bought the top model) and the sun roof is a wow factor...but in the hot Texas sun we haven't really used it except at night. It sits low so big bumps/dips scrap the bottom. We spent more money on this car because the promised gas mileage ( saleman said) I wish I had made a different choice. The dealer has told us tough luck on the 22mpg...we are stuck with it-or take the lost trading it.
Favorite Features
Back up camera, exterior looks
Suggested Improvements
Do something to improve the mileage---perhaps a method for the customer to charge the battery when at home. The battery seems to always need charging if driving to and from work and not on longer trips.
By alex3540
on 12/16/11 11:03 AM (PST)

A hybrid vehicle will not achieve any better fuel economy then a regular gas version if the driver does not learn to drive differently. you need to understand how the system works before jumping into a hybrid. On the sonata their are 2 modes, Regular and blue drive. Blue drive will improve your fuel economy by 10 mpgs at the expense of power.Tips;You need to watch the energy flow on the display and lean how to accelerate the vehicle while keeping the vehicle in electric mode, when the vehicle try's to switch to gas let off the throttle and then reengage the throttle when the vehicle switches back to electric or gas/electric.2. when braking, the vehicle will charge the battery "regenerative braking". You must anticipate a braking situation and coast to a stop and apply the brakes gently, this will charge your lithium battery. 3. keep the vehicle in blue drive mode.